Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an '04 with '06 plastics (bought it that way)

here's how the guy did the pcm (yes I know the grips are terrible, i changed those that day)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I had an '04 with '06 plastics (bought it that way)

here's how the guy did the pcm (yes I know the grips are terrible, i changed those that day)

changed them? PROVE IT!!!
btw, why does your sig show a bike with 04 plastics?
you must have an 06 airbox.

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
^ You're going to have to move the wiring harness above the coolant hose. The bodywork is slimmer and wants to be where the wiring is.

Did you get an 07 radiator? You can keep the 05 radiator with some very minor trimming to the lower.
Not done moving stuff yet. I already trimmed the lowers for the 05' radiator. :thumbsup:

I also trimmed the mid right fairing where the radiator hose was. The fairing would not get close unless I did that! I did it nice and you can hardly tell unless you REALLY stare at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah they do. I'm working on mine right now. The radiator trimming looks very minor. Im waiting on my upper fairing mount brackets to come in to go any further

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
You need the 06-07 fairings, the bolts, and the mounting brackets. Basically the frame is the same 04-07 and the fairings will fit. The radiator is a lil big but a quick trim and the plastics fit right on.

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
philip1000rr did you cut your fairings
I had to some minor trimming on the lower and had to trim away a little to clear a sensor and I think I had to remove some plastic for a radiator hose. It isn't a lot, and if you do it well then you won't notice that it's been trimmed. You'll see what I mean when you start mounting the fairings.

Do the 05 lights work for the 06 front farings?
Yes.

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
All done with the fairing swap.....

Introducing: Project Mercury Smoothie!

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
Can you post up where you moved the water bottle? When I mounted my 07 fairings I cut and extended the wiring harness to move the ECU under my air box because I couldn't find a good place for the bottle. I've seen a lot of people stuff it near the radiator, curious to see where you put yours.

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
It is a race style bottle and it is located near the radiator. I'll try to get a few pics of it.

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
finished the real bottle fix...

I put the 06' plastics on my 1000RR and the stupid coolant bottle was to big to fit under the fairings. So I looked on Ebay and got a bottle for the 07' Well it STILL didn't work because the bottle was set up for the 06-07 radiator.

So.... after frustration and many puddles of Engine Ice on the garage floor...

I MADE one!

I took the 04-05 overflow bottle...

THIS is what the bottle is supposed to look like before you mangle it...

Cut the top off of it...

Cut it in 1/2...(Sorry I took the pics AFTER the work and I realized "I really should take pics of this shit")

Weld a cap onto the severed 1/2

I actually cut the filler neck off and re-welded it to the "cap" and had to drill it out...Notice its not drilled yet...

Welded the inside too...

Welded on the overflow tube and mount tab...

after I drilled the hole out...

Pic from the side..

In place on the bike...

THE END!

PS I don't use a "plastic welder" I use a soldering iron, and broken ABS plastic from the project I'm working on. Its old school but works great!

·
Registered
863 Posts
wow, that's pretty cool. I especially like how you can reach and fill the overflow bottle without having to remove any fairings. looks good! :thumbsup:

one suggestion though, you could have just bought the necessary mounting brackets for the bottle. Just a thought....

·
Workin on it..
102 Posts
wow, that's pretty cool. I especially like how you can reach and fill the overflow bottle without having to remove any fairings. looks good! :thumbsup:

one suggestion though, you could have just bought the necessary mounting brackets for the bottle. Just a thought....

Key word in that sentence...BOUGHT! I like to not buy more than I have to! It functions perfectly and isn't in the way. Works for me :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im sure somebody would have mentioned this but I was just curious about the headlights, every website I have looked at the headliights were broken down between 04-05 and 06-07. Is there a difference in headlights when switching fairings from 04-05 to 06-07?

Thanks,
Mike

21 - 40 of 58 Posts