Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So pretty much as the subject says; I just picked up my 2018 1000rr SP Thursday night from JM Honda in Miami and on my VERY FIRST RIDE today, my right side fairings fly off (see below pics).

Per my conversations with the dealer when I was negotiating the price; the bike was purchased there it was brand new and serviced by them regularly. What options do I realistically have to get them to be liable for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
785 Posts
Most likely it was the Dealer Sevice that was not careful installing the fairings if they were removed for service. Unless the previous owner had them off for some reason. You have to be real careful removing and installing fairings.
Bummer it was your first ride. Push the Dealer hard....don't know if it's worth a legal mess. Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It looks you don't have much to give a fight. The dealer can always say that it went off the showroom in good condition. And the cost of a fairing is not enough to justify a lawyer. Talk to them and see what they say. Maybe they take it and give you a new panel, or at least a good discount. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks you don't have much to give a fight. The dealer can always say that it went off the showroom in good condition. And the cost of a fairing is not enough to justify a lawyer. Talk to them and see what they say. Maybe they take it and give you a new panel, or at least a good discount. Good luck.
I would say if you look very closely at the well nuts, you'll notice that they are insanely degraded and brittle. These are wear items that need to be replaced over time. What I'm suspecting happened is that the fairing got loose as a result of the dried and cracked well nuts (the rubber grommets where you screw fairing bolts into that then expand to hold the fairing in place). The dealer failed to consider this part when doing their service. These should have been replaced given their condition.

I've owned 3 hondas now, ( 2013 CBR600rr, 2016 CBR1000rr, and now this SP). Prior to that, I also owned a kawasaki ninja 300 as my first bike; I've NEVER lost a fairing at speed before EVER and I do all of my own maintenance. These well nuts always go bad and it's a design flaw for Honda in general. They should not use such cheap fasteners to hold bike body work in place especially when they're going to be subject to such high speeds.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If the well nuts aren't properly inserted (which is easy to screw up on the side fairings) this could certainly happen. They need to step up and fix their mistake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the well nuts aren't properly inserted (which is easy to screw up on the side fairings) this could certainly happen. They need to step up and fix their mistake.
The well nuts are completely dry rotted and breaking apart (see the photos). There is no way anyone is telling me that occurred after the fact.

·
Registered
'17 CBR1000RR SP
592 Posts
I've owned 6 Hondas going back to '99...VFR800, '02 954, '04 1000RR, '08, 1000rr, '17 SP1...I can't recall seeing well nuts that were so degraded in only 3 yrs before but, wow they look shot.

I also agree with Liquid IQ, those little buggers can fall out easily if you're not careful.

That being said, if this was your first ride out of the shop and they had serviced it, including removing the fairings, I'd certainly be talking to them about this.

I know I would if it were me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned 6 Hondas going back to '99...VFR800, '02 954, '04 1000RR, '08, 1000rr, '17 SP1...I can't recall seeing well nuts that were so degraded in only 3 yrs before but, wow they look shot.

I also agree with Liquid IQ, those little buggers can fall out easily if you're not careful.

That being said, if this was your first ride out of the shop and they had serviced it, including removing the fairings, I'd certainly be talking to them about this.

I know I would if it were me.
Yeah I think Florida does that to these things. I’ve had to replace them frequently on my other Honda bikes.

But like i I said; never lost a fairing before

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pay attention to washers/ grommets on fairings. Without bushings of some kind, it’s too easy to overtighten fasteners (especially shouldered) directly against the fairing plastic. The high stress easily cracks the material at critical locations, which are further damaged when loaded by air pressure at speed.

Honda designs decent fairings mounts. Anyone, including a Honda tech, who overtightens without a bushing will scratch the paint and crack the material.

·
Registered
'18 CBR1000RR SP
686 Posts
Hard case to follow up and pursue for max under $5K.
You can ask the dealer to replace the fairing with the broken tab or you will let the social media world know that they are a crap dealer.
I doubt a lawyer would be interested to pick this up, there are too few dollars.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd be surprised if the dealer did not offer to at least give you a healthy discount on the new parts. I think a cost sharing 50/50 you/dealer would be fair.

The dealer should stand behind the products they sell, even if used. If it was a 2005 or something then yea I wouldn't even ask but I'm sure you paid a fair amount of $$ for that CBR SP so you should expect a certain level of quality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'd be surprised if the dealer did not offer to at least give you a healthy discount on the new parts. I think a cost sharing 50/50 you/dealer would be fair.

The dealer should stand behind the products they sell, even if used. If it was a 2005 or something then yea I wouldn't even ask but I'm sure you paid a fair amount of $$ for that CBR SP so you should expect a certain level of quality.
I would agree. Considering they just serviced the bike (oil change) I would hope to have it all covered by them, but if it’s going to be 50/50 then just mail me the parts and I’ll do the work myself (I’ve owned 3 CBR’s; I know the platform pretty well and never once had a fairing fly off on me). My confidence in their service shop is quite negligible at best at this juncture

We’ll see; I’ve been having back and forth discussions all morning. I’ll keep everyone posted

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lates update: A case has been opened with Honda Customer Relations and the bike was dropped off today to the dealer for review and so they can do their due diligence.

We'll see what happens...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Huh what does Honda ha e to do with it? It's outside warranty. Interesting, maybe they will twist the dealers arm or cost share with the dealer... Regardless, hope you get taken care of!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Huh what does Honda ha e to do with it? It's outside warranty. Interesting, maybe they will twist the dealers arm or cost share with the dealer... Regardless, hope you get taken care of!
When the dealer tells you they just performed an oil change right before you take delivery and then the entire right side assembly flies out, I’m holding the service shop responsible for that one. I’ve owned three Honda’s and have done my own maintenance on all of them; I’ve never lost fairings before

1 - 15 of 15 Posts