Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 07 1krr has a fork seal leaking. This seams to be a fairly common problem. Well, the dealership will not cover it because they say it is a associated with doing wheelies. WTF.. i dont do wheelies and there is no way for them to prove i do anyways. has anyone fought this out and won? If i cant get them to cover it under my warranty i was thinking about either using this as an excuse to upgrade and send them out or fix it myself(I am a mechanically inclined person). What special tools are required to press that seal in. Thanks in advance.

·
KEEP UP OR BRING A MAP
10 Posts
ok i am haveing the same problem only i did try to raise a stink with honda and they said it is a something or other anyways they won"t fix them under warenty so does anyboday have the service manual and can email me what i need to do to fix this myself [email protected] would be much aprreciated

·
tumbleweed
1,872 Posts
wheelies?? what crap.

if wheelies caused seals to leak then every pothole etc would do the same.

Ive got a couple mates both with 08 r1's (not cbr's but as an example...) and the 1st guy abuses the crap outa his. He's not bad at wheelies but does slam the occasional one down and he's had no issues. The other guy's seals started leaking on his 1st ride!

·
blue power ranger
197 Posts
something caused it.They just dont leak.. Got 24k on mine with the original fork seals(and they have been apart twice for yearly fluid change).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya if im not mistaken the seals usually start leaking from dirt getting in there not wheelies. Anyways for the 16 bucks the seal kit costs im thinking about just doing it myself rather than letting them mess with it just not sure if i need any specialty tools that i dont have. Anyone have any ideas what will be needed. Also i am thinking of using the repsol fork oil but it doesnt give you a weight, anyone know what works well with these forks. If i am reading correctly even changing the oil to a different man can change how the suspention will feel?? Any input would be great.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,057 Posts
I've got a fork seal leaking on my 05. About to rebuild the forks myself. Did the research, there are a few special tools needed. I have them all ordered. Should have them this week. I can let you know how it goes.

Search the internet for downloads on the shop manual...very cheap to do. Traxxion Dynamics has a kit of the special tools needed. I ordered the OEM Honda seals, O-rings and Fork Seal Driver.

You'll also need a front stand that inserts into the bottom of the steering head to suspend the front end.

·
Mr. Bish
32,613 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what i was leaning towards or the bel ray. i ordered my seals, is it at all possible to do this without a spring compressor or does that just make it alot easier

·
Registered
196 Posts
thats what i was leaning towards or the bel ray. i ordered my seals, is it at all possible to do this without a spring compressor or does that just make it alot easier
Where abouts are you located? I have the spring compressor for that bike as I own the same bike. I havent used this compressor yet as my springs are on backorder.. :sad010:

Also in the past I have used pvc pipe to drive the seals back in but I wouldnt recommend doing that unless you are in a major crunch. The forks cant be scratched when doing them or they will leak forever..

·
Banned
20,313 Posts
Last time I did it to my '06 I used this fluid and did NOT use a spring compressor. Though the compressor makes it easier it can be done w/o but an extra set of hands helps to pull down on the spring during assembly and dis assembly. I use a section of pvc pipe for a fork seal driver, works great and I've used that method for years on my street bikes and mx bikes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay i will definately have an extra set of hands and i am located in pa. so i guess i can come up with something. I am an auto tech so i have alot of tools to work with but few specialty tools for bikes. Im sure i can come up with something

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i ordered a haynes repair manual to help with all of this. anyone know if they are any good. better or worse than any other. Also. for those who didnt use any special tools, what did you use to measure you fork oil fluid, I think its supposed to be 110mm??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.