Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ambitions as a ridah
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my front break is acting weird. On my triumph when i use the front brake everything is super smooth even when breaking hard at high speeds. But on my 04 cbr1000rr when i break hard at high speeds or hard at any speed the whole bike starts to shake. Also when im just coasting with it off i can sometimes heard the break pad still touching the disks but ever so slightly. mostly worried about the shaking! is it time for new front break pads or what?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Do you feel a pulsing in the lever? If yes, you have a warped rotor. Even if you do not feel it, you may still have a warped rotor.

Also, check you steering head bearings. These often go neglected for many miles and have been known to cause the shake you have described.

·
ambitions as a ridah
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont feel a pulsing but i can hear when it touches and doesnt touch even when im not applying the (((**BRAKE!**))) (fuck off my spelling). shit i dont like the sound of i warped rotor.. Should i bring it in to the local honda shop and see what they have to say? its 6k miles 04cbr1000rr i think all the break stuff is stock because i wasn't told otherwise.

·
ambitions as a ridah
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell no.

Just figure out if your brake rotors are warped or not... You could pick up two front rotors for the cost of a useless Honda service visit.

:th_SmlyROFL:
word up playa how do i know if they're warped. and how do i check the steering head bearing? dont bitch me out for not knowing it isn't worth the post.

Wheres a good place to get them. (online?)

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
word up playa how do i know if they're warped. and how do i check the steering head bearing?
You already know they are warped cause we told you... farkin listen.

Theres nothing wrong with your steering head bearings because you havnt complained of klonking noises when you hit the brakes

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
ok buddy. im gonna go out on a limb here and give you some very helpful advise. 1st, have you or the stealership taken the front wheel off recently? it could have been installed incorrectly. just a thought before you go removing shit.

do you have a front and rear stand? it dont matter what kind, you just need a set of stands. if not, find a set from a buddy. if no one has stands, get better riding buddies or buy your own, which every motorcycle rider should have a set of stands!!

*put the bike on the stands (DO NOT USE THE FRONT STAND WITH OUT THE REAR STAND AS THE BIKE WILL FALL AND CAUSE ALOT OF DAMAGE!!!!!)
*go to the front wheel, spin it and see if it makes the sound you hear while riding. look at the rotors and see if you can see any warpage. you might or might no be able to.
*spin the wheel and lightly apply the front brakes. do you hear or feel any vibrations in the lever?
*remove the calipers (both sides), loosen all 4 axle pinch bolts, and remove the front axle, then carefully remove the wheel from the bike.
*if you have a run out gauge, check the rotors for "trueness". if not, then just buy new ones and be done with it.
*reverse the steps to get the wheel back on.
------but follow these steps for axle installation or it wont seat correcltly------
*put axle thru wheel to support it.
*install and torque the caliper bolts to spec
*tighten the axle pinch bolts that are on the riders right to spec
*torque the axle nut to spec
lower the bike form both stands, and with the brake lever pulled, push the bike down 3-4 times to seat the front
*tighten the axle pinch bolts on the riders left to spec and your all done.

thanks and your welcome

·
ambitions as a ridah
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok buddy. im gonna go out on a limb here and give you some very helpful advise. 1st, have you or the stealership taken the front wheel off recently? it could have been installed incorrectly. just a thought before you go removing shit.

do you have a front and rear stand? it dont matter what kind, you just need a set of stands. if not, find a set from a buddy. if no one has stands, get better riding buddies or buy your own, which every motorcycle rider should have a set of stands!!

*put the bike on the stands (DO NOT USE THE FRONT STAND WITH OUT THE REAR STAND AS THE BIKE WILL FALL AND CAUSE ALOT OF DAMAGE!!!!!)
*go to the front wheel, spin it and see if it makes the sound you hear while riding. look at the rotors and see if you can see any warpage. you might or might no be able to.
*spin the wheel and lightly apply the front brakes. do you hear or feel any vibrations in the lever?
*remove the calipers (both sides), loosen all 4 axle pinch bolts, and remove the front axle, then carefully remove the wheel from the bike.
*if you have a run out gauge, check the rotors for "trueness". if not, then just buy new ones and be done with it.
*reverse the steps to get the wheel back on.
------but follow these steps for axle installation or it wont seat correcltly------
*put axle thru wheel to support it.
*install and torque the caliper bolts to spec
*tighten the axle pinch bolts that are on the riders right to spec
*torque the axle nut to spec
lower the bike form both stands, and with the brake lever pulled, push the bike down 3-4 times to seat the front
*tighten the axle pinch bolts on the riders left to spec and your all done.

thanks and your welcome
see now that my friend was the response i was looking for. thank you very much. PS what are good rotors and where do i get them?

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,969 Posts
see now that my friend was the response i was looking for. thank you very much. PS what are good rotors and where do i get them?
theres usually a set on here for sale floating around.

and all you had to do was search for 'front wheel removal and installation'. it would have yeilded the same results that i posted. most of us on here have been here for years and years and grow tired of answering the same posts over and over and over and over again. this is why people get smart ass answers. nothing personal, but answering the same thing over again gets rather tireing.

check in the for sale section, if nothing in there, make a wtb (want to buy) thread and im sure someone has a set laying around. oem are good, or you can go aftermarket for alot more money. depends how fat your roll is and what you actually need them for (the best braking or for poser points at dairy queen for bike night).

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
see now that my friend was the response i was looking for. thank you very much. ?
I give up, you two are completely lost.
Sorry to shoot you down Demon but everything you just said is complete BS.
Youre obviously not a bike mechanic so dont give ppl advice on how to fix their bikes.
Pop doesnt need to check if his discs are warped because he already knows that they are warped because they vibrate when he hits the brakes at high speed. Symptom and cause all in one.

The best way to fix warped or unparrallel discs is to get them reground or to replace them preferably with OEM discs as Galfers and the like tend to get warped after time. Most bling artists ignore the fact that their aftermarket discs are warped because A. the still look good and B. they dont ride fast anyway. You on the other hand pop seem to be a more serious rider who has the presence of mind to notice such things as brake shudder or vibration.

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts