Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you guys feel about the front mirror indicators?
I have noticed that they are also driving lights, staying solid when they are not being used for indicating.
I have read that this could be seen as a safely issue due to other motorists misinterpreting the signal as being on.
I think it's a cool concept but I think Honda should have gone with a white led for the driving light function. I can see how it would be a safety issue but I'm actually more concerned about people constantly telling me that my hazard lights are on.
This hasn't happened to me yet but I have only had my bike for 6 days so far.

What have you done about it?
Have you pulled a wire to make them function conventionally?
Or did you just leave them how they are?
Do you/Did you ever, see it as a concern?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I feel like EVERYONE should implement this. All Honda's do, and it is a great way to GET NOTICED by oncoming traffic. You will be surprised how many just pull forward even after "seeing" a MC coming their way, because the do not register a single headlight (or a narrow dual headlight) in their brain. I am sure every motorcyclist has had encounters like these.

I can't see how someone is confused with solid amber lights on. What makes hazards and signals be hazards and signals, is that they blink/flash, not that they are on. Plenty of cars with pilot lights being also the signals, and it is pretty much the norm rear signals are nowadays the red driving lights, doubling up. No one gets confused by that either.

PS. What I said above has actually been studied, and how the brain does not register the same way MC and cars, despite the eyes seeing them, and this is much more obvious in countries like the US that there is barely any MC traffic on the streets, and drivers are not used to MCs. You can google the subject, and actually DOT (in the US) and other regulations make sense and are not just for being there.

Reactions: Big Am and nigelrb

·
Registered
465 Posts
Never been a concern for me and I can't see it as an adverse safety concern. Also can't see that they'd be mistaken for indicators, but that would also mean that the rider has been seen so plus one for us!

Even better though, we have two headlights, so that reduces the number of people who tell us a headlight is blown!!:D

Truly, and with respect, I don't think you should even worry about it.

On your other question, I seem to recall a post on another forum about disabling them, and, again as I recall (so not gospel) there's only two wires running the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) and indicators together. It seems they'd have to be disabled in a relay or similar. I am crap at electrics so can't offer any more!:(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I admit it has grown on me. It's never actually worried me. I am in love with this motorcycle. I am literally sitting in my garage all the time, including right now, just staring at it lol.
I actually really like the standard mirrors. For a sports bike they look and function pretty well. In fact all I have done is a tail tidy and some tank pads. I see no reason to change anything else on the bike at this point in time. Even the exhaust is quite sufficient.

One thing though. I can't seem to find how to separate torque control from wheelie control...

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Yeah, I admit it has grown on me. It's never actually worried me. I am in love with this motorcycle. I am literally sitting in my garage all the time, including right now, just staring at it lol.
I actually really like the standard mirrors. For a sports bike they look and function pretty well. In fact all I have done is a tail tidy and some tank pads. I see no reason to change anything else on the bike at this point in time. Even the exhaust is quite sufficient.
While the new SC82 RR-R is a fine looker I still prefer the look of our gen bikes.

Fold them back and the bike takes on a Japanese Anime character persona LOL

One thing though. I can't seem to find how to separate torque control from wheelie control...
The curse of having the 2017 model (y) :unsure:
Our SP2s are all functionally 2017 bikes.

The separate WC/TC is a feature of the 2019 ECU/Display.

But faced the choice of separate WC/TC vs having an SP2 I would go with the SP2 every time and twice on any sunny Sunday.. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I will disagree with the actual functionality of the mirrors as they pretty much suck as mirrors, LOL. All the way out, I still see my elbows on half the area on them.

Reactions: 2015HRC

·
Registered
10 Posts
More lights the better IMO. I want to mod my RC51 to have illuminated mirrors like my '19 CBR1000RR base. On both bikes, I run the high beams on during the day for increased visibility. Often times, I find drivers don't think twice unless they see you without a doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts