Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ninja in training
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wheels off to get new tyre's on and when i fitted them back on to the bike the front wheel seem's very stiff and won't spin on the paddock stand any reason for this or should i take it off and regrease it.

Cheer's John.

·
smokin a Jeffery
4,965 Posts
sounds like you reinstalled the wheel correctly. some say theres a special way you need to tighten the 2 sets of axle pinch bolts and the axle nut down. do this wrong, and the wheel wont spin freely like it should.

or you may have the wheel on backwards (its happened)

pull the calipers off and try spining the wheel. if it spins, its a brake/caliper issue. if it dowsnt, sounds like something went wrong on the wheel install part.

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
I've noticed that if I tighten the bottom bolts on the far side of the axle, then try to tighten the axle, then tighten the pinch bolts on the side nearest the axle nut it causes the forks to pinch the wheel bearings too much. I've found that by installing the wheel, inserting the axle and tightening both sets of pinch bolts before tightening the axle bolt I get the least amount of resistance on the wheel itself. I think it causes the forks to clamp themselves to a set position on the axle and keeps the axle bolt from pinching the forks on those bearings.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Check the manual for the order of tightening the bolts.
I have an 08 and just put my front back on last night. The service manual for the 08 says to tighten axle bolt first, then tighten the right pinch bolts (those are the ones on the axle bolt side), tighten the front brake caliper bolts, then hold the front brakes and push down on the handlebars a few times to get the forks to compress and settle the axle into place, then finally tighten the left pinch bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. Every time I take the front wheel off and out it back, the wheel wants to spin less and less freely each time. It spins fine without the calipers installed and is fine until I pump up the brakes after tightening all the bolts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check the manual for the order of tightening the bolts.
I have an 08 and just put my front back on last night. The service manual for the 08 says to tighten axle bolt first, then tighten the right pinch bolts (those are the ones on the axle bolt side), tighten the front brake caliper bolts, then hold the front brakes and push down on the handlebars a few times to get the forks to compress and settle the axle into place, then finally tighten the left pinch bolts.
This is the correct sequence, but from what I can see the axle is located at the RH fork leg by the flanged spacer & the axle nut. The part that can float is the LH fork leg. If you lever it gently you will see it move on the axle, so once you have refitted the calipers, take the bike off the stands & hold the front brake on, then push the bars as hard as you can to compress the forks. This should align the LH fork leg on the axle, & then you can finally tighten the pinch bolts. As a check the head of the axle is about level with the outside face of the fork leg, on my bike, that is.
All the best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.