Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the bike papers the vin indicates that i have a 2004 model blade.

The indicated fuel in the 2004 manual says to use 95 unleaded only.

The previous owner put 93 unleaded in it.

Will this be bad for the engine ?

Should i now put 95 unleaded in and will the mix of 93 and 95 cause problems ?

Not sure if this means anything but i am at 4000ft above sea level.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,009 Posts
My 05 manual says to use 91 octane or higher unleaded fuel. I use Chevron Supreme which I think is 92 octane in my area. I live at 7,000 feet with no problems.
You should have a factory label on the frame, left side below the tank. It should say the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately i will have to remove the tank to get to it, i am more convinced i have a 2004 model as thats what the vin number indicates.
The 2004 manual says 95 unleaded only.
Will i damage the engine using 93 ?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,009 Posts
If your vin number and documentation is not in question from the sale, you should be OK. The Manufacturer's label should be clearly visible without removing the tank. If it's not there, I would be concerned what you have.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

Is there unleaded gas available in your area with 95 octane? I've never seen that in my area.
Maybe 09_Blade can answer whether a little lower octane would be a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you i found it right there i see indeed its 2004.

I did research this but am now as far as i could get as there are no specific answers.

They talk about detonation if one uses lower octane than reccomend. I hope it has not happened with the 93 octane inside ?

But altitude also plays a role i am a t 4000ft asl. So in theory the 93 should naturally be a bit "higher" at this altitude but not much maybe by 20% or so ?

I will use 95 next fuel stop. They say it then becomes 94 i hope nothing bad happens mixing it lije this and hope the motor will be happy

Another question would be
Does the 04 have knock sensor adjusting for octane ?

And also can i prevent detonation by only limiting myself to 7000 rpms ?

Whoever can answer these questions it would help a lot.

The thing many dont understand is that she is an is an older bike so i feel i need to be more careful at its age and milage about what i do with it to prolong its life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just bothers me why Honda states to use 95 ONLY in the 2004 blade while all the other models it states to use 91 or higher

@boston
It still has 93 in it, it sounds to run fine BUT i read someone mentioning you cant always tell if it pre detonates.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Octane I would say. I have always used the highest octane in mine which here is 98. Have no fear of what has been used in the past and twist that throttle hard!

Reactions: papper

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is a weird thing. Most pumps here only go up to 91. Some go to 93, I don't think I've ever seen 95. Seems like an odd requirement for a street bike. I put 89 in my 10R once- I forget why it seemed like a good idea- I definitely heard detonation knock and I wasn't pushing it even remotely hard. My CBR only gets Cam2. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, but no matter how long it sits it fires right up and runs like a rapedape, so. Anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fellas,

I believe Honda is referring to 95 RON which is 91 Octane in the US. RON stands for Research Octane Number which is just a different method for getting an octane rating for gasoline that every other country uses except the USA because we are special. Think about it, Honda wouldn't sell a bike and tune it so that you couldn't put the correct fuel in every state of the US. When I lived in Michigan, we had 93 octane available on the pump. Here in Phoenix, 91 Octane is the best you can get on pump. That being said, they have to tune it for fuel that is available to everybody as a standard. You can go anywhere in the US and pump 91 Octane. There is an actual conversion. It's not exact but it's really close.

US=RON*(21/22)

RON (95 Octane) X 21÷22 = 90.68 US Octane
AKA 91 Octane

I hope this helps you guys out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts