Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
De Utter Duktur
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but the first tankful after storage always makes my bikes run crappy performance wise. I don't know if it's the gas that sits in the tank for 5-6 months or the fuel stabilizer that does it. Yes, the fuel doesn't go 'bad' with the stabilizer but things don't run right when you fire them up and run it on that treated gas. Should have siphoned it out....does yours do the same or are mine just pissed I didn't ride for 6 months?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know why but the first tankful after storage always makes my bikes run crappy performance wise. I don't know if it's the gas that sits in the tank for 5-6 months or the fuel stabilizer that does it. Yes, the fuel doesn't go 'bad' with the stabilizer but things don't run right when you fire them up and run it on that treated gas. Should have siphoned it out....does yours do the same or are mine just pissed I didn't ride for 6 months?
I used fuel stabilizer once in my old '99 Nighthawk 750 and it ran crappy until I got that gas out of it and topped it off with fresh gas. I think the main problem is the stabilizer, although the gasoline will lose some of it's vapor pressure (ability to vaporize) over time.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I used Sta-bil and let it sit for 6+months and it does the same.
I think I'm going to siphon the old fuel out next time as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My bike tends to sit from December until March -- about 3 to 4 months -- and the fuel stablizer doesn't seem to affect it. I add the stabilizer and then ride a bit to get it into the fuel injectors. And then I top off the tank to minimize the amount of air in the tank. No problems yet. Maybe it's the longer down time for you guys. Dunno.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts