Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word back from JT Sprockets. Stock configuration of the new 1000rr is 15/40 :shock: No plans are being made to create a 14 tooth front as that would be excessive, however they do offer a 15 and a 16 tooth front for those interested in multiple sizes (530/520 etc) The back is also offered in 40,41,42,43. Don't think the stock chain will handle anything over the 41 or 42 though.

FWIW adding 3 to the rear is approx the same as dropping 1 in the front (15 x 3 = 45) and better, since the chain wouldn't have to make a tighter turn than it already does for a 15 tooth. Not to mention the wear on the chain buffer on the swingarm when changing to a smaller diameter front sprocket.

Just thought ya'll might be interested seeing as that 1st gear is a little tall for traffic use IMHO. Of course, it *IS* a cassette transmission, 1st gear would be real easy to change out in your driveway. Now, to do a little research and see if I can find a tighter 1st gear for sale......anybody got HRC's phone number? :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
So, what does everyone think about the stock gearing?

I'm used to an RC51, which needed a gearing change right off the showroom floor. The CBR doesn't seem nearly as bad - in fact, I haven't decided if I'm going to change it yet. I will do a 520 conversion, but not sure if I'll do +1 or +2 in the rear yet. I'm still on break-in, so it's hard to tell.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
theJrod said:
So, what does everyone think about the stock gearing?

I'm used to an RC51, which needed a gearing change right off the showroom floor. The CBR doesn't seem nearly as bad - in fact, I haven't decided if I'm going to change it yet. I will do a 520 conversion, but not sure if I'll do +1 or +2 in the rear yet. I'm still on break-in, so it's hard to tell.
I also have an RC51 (for sale) and regeared 1 down, 1 up. As for the RR, I have no problem with 1st. It's fine. But 3rd through 6th are really close together. If 1st were shorter, I'd actually gear UP for more top end and more spread between the upper gears.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Aftert a brief ride on a demo machine today, i agree, first is a little tall for city work. Figure i will go 2 or 3 up on the rear. I dont like to reduce the size of the front sprocket unless i can help it.
but what a beautiful ride she is....... ahhhhhhh :)

G

·
We just went one tooth down on the front and one tooth up in the rear on a customers bike and it works awesome. The sprocket set is inexpensive and you can use the stock chain. Try that !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sprocket Center said:
We just went one tooth down on the front and one tooth up in the rear on a customers bike and it works awesome. The sprocket set is inexpensive and you can use the stock chain. Try that !
so i can use a 954 sprocket on the new rr, cool, just like iron said :beer: just want to try one tooth up in the rear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.