Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was removing the stickers on my 2014 1krr at my buddys and had a little residue left so i just grabbed a can of goof off brand adhesive remover, bad idea. It softened up the paint to the point of it falling off when I went to wipe the adhesive off. I knew better than to use a cheap product like that but didnt feel like driving across town to my work to use our professional stuff. I will never use that stuff again. Now I have to repaint my fairing... /end rant

·
Registered
550 Posts
So today I was removing the stickers on my 2014 1krr at my buddys and had a little residue left so i just grabbed a can of goof off brand adhesive remover, bad idea. It softened up the paint to the point of it falling off when I went to wipe the adhesive off. I knew better than to use a cheap product like that but didnt feel like driving across town to my work to use our professional stuff. I will never use that stuff again. Now I have to repaint my fairing... /end rant
3m adhesive remover works, been using this for years without any issues to paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is a first I hear. I do use Goof off brand, not in a can though, but liquid. I have used it in ALL my vehicles I own currently, 2 cars, 4 bikes, plus 3 more cars in the last 6 years. Not a single issue.

I actually used it on the matte black paint of my '17 to remove the residue of the factory warning labels, right on top of the tank. No issues whatsoever.

I am gonna guess the spray is way stronger, and finer being atomized, penetrating the paint. I would not trust any spray form on plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3m adhesive remover works, been using this for years without any issues to paint.

That is a first I hear. I do use Goof off brand, not in a can though, but liquid. I have used it in ALL my vehicles I own currently, 2 cars, 4 bikes, plus 3 more cars in the last 6 years. Not a single issue.

I actually used it on the matte black paint of my '17 to remove the residue of the factory warning labels, right on top of the tank. No issues whatsoever.
Idk it might have been from the propellant in the aerosol we use 3m and grow super Kleen at work. But none of them are areasol..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Idk it might have been from the propellant in the aerosol we use 3m and grow super Kleen at work. But none of them are areasol..
The one I showed is aerosol based and I have been using it for 10+ years. I think you just got some bad brand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best cleaning product I’ve found is Honda’s own “Spray Cleaner and Polish”. Amazing for all the gunk on the bike, and isn’t harsh at all.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've always used Naptha from the hardware store. It's not an aerosol. Used it on all kinds of plastic and painted surfaces with no problems. Removes any sticky stuff.

·
Registered
943 Posts
That is weird, you should be able to hit Urethane paint with some pretty nasty chemicals - gasoline, lacquer thinner, etc. - with no ill effects. Any chance the paint was not OEM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is weird, you should be able to hit Urethane paint with some pretty nasty chemicals - gasoline, lacquer thinner, etc. - with no ill effects. Any chance the paint was not OEM?
Was oem bought thr bike brand new with 0 miles on it. That said I agree with you, I paint for a living lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I typically just use my thumb to roll up/rub off as much of the sticker residue as I can.Then a rag, wetted with some WD-40 to get the rest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's a common mistake, people us Goof Off, which is a powerful solvent. instead of Goo Gone, which is made from orange and lemon peels, and won't hurt paint. Live and learn.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's a common mistake, people us Goof Off, which is a powerful solvent. instead of Goo Gone, which is made from orange and lemon peels, and won't hurt paint. Live and learn.
i realized by your post that I meant to say Goo Gone on my post above, and not goof off. Probably that was the reason of the mishap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i realized by your post that I meant to say Goo Gone on my post above, and not goof off. Probably that was the reason of the mishap.
Duly noted, but I've never seen Goo-Gone remove paint like that, and I've been using it for years. Recently I had one of the tank badges fall off one of my Harleys, left a mess of near rock-hard adhesive (thanks Harley, your gunk stuck to the tank, but not to the badge!), and I used repeated applications of Goo-Gone on a paper towel to clean it off slowly but flawlessly, the underlying metal-flake paint, perfect.

Live and learn, so they say. This is why the manufacturers always say try it on an inconspicuous spot first. Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Duly noted, but I've never seen Goo-Gone remove paint like that, and I've been using it for years. Recently I had one of the tank badges fall off one of my Harleys, left a mess of near rock-hard adhesive (thanks Harley, your gunk stuck to the tank, but not to the badge!), and I used repeated applications of Goo-Gone on a paper towel to clean it off slowly but flawlessly, the underlying metal-flake paint, perfect.

Live and learn, so they say. This is why the manufacturers always say try it on an inconspicuous spot first. Best of luck with it!
OK, one more time for clarification :D

I am not the original poster. He used GOOF OFF. I replied to him and I meant to say GOO GONE has not given me any issues, but I typed GOOF OFF

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK, one more time for clarification :D

I am not the original poster. He used GOOF OFF. I replied to him and I meant to say GOO GONE has not given me any issues, but I typed GOOF OFF
OK, got it. Goo Gone is the right stuff to use for adhesive removal-NOT Goof Off. Went through a similar thread on a Harley forum a year or so back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts