Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some halfway decent miles in today. I noticed a loud gear whine at highway speeds in 6th gear when I have any amount of throttle on it. It isn`t there if I pull in the clutch and put some throttle on it and it isn`t there in any of the other gears. Has anybody esle heard this? I could hear it with wind noise and earplugs in.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
probalby has something to do with mapping. computer is controlling how much air goes into the air box.Its also has alot to do with throttle positioning also. wack it open in 3rd you'll hear it as well

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've actually noticed that honda's in general have that 6th gear whine your talkin about...my F2 had it ..my 98 900R has it..and the 1kRR has it.i dunno if it has anything to do with ram air or fuel flow..i kinda just think its one of those things that never change from bike to bike..a trademark sort of..i think my buddies 954 does that too..i dunno, the sound it is making doesnt seem bad

·
Registered
526 Posts
My F4i never did it but the 1K surely does.

·
Registered
526 Posts
BigRome said:
Nothing to worry about.its the ram air it sort of sounds like a supercharger whistle. we all have that
WOW GUYS!! Guess what I just found! That sound isnt the air box, it really is a supercharger!! Figure it runs about 746 Horsepower now! mmmmmm. :wink:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think it's the tranny, not the airbox. Mine does it at around 40-45 in top gear, and then again at around 60-75. Mine is a lower pitch though, so one of these bands of noise could be from the tires.

From all the posts here, id say it's normal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was going to ask about this, but it seems my question is answered. Mine does not do it except in 6th gear, and it sound's like a jet engine

whhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

as I roll on.

My initial thought is that it was the airbox. It's definately NOT the tires, because it's only truly noticable in 6th gear, and it continues up to 153mph (indicated). I have not listened carefully enough in 3rd gear and tried to pin it as recommended by BigRome.

As stated, I thought for sure this was an airbox issue/feature. I actually love it, but I would also love to know WHY it's happening. It kind of seperates 6th gear from the rest as an 'overdrive gear' or "afterburner" as I like to think of it. I was thinking it was the flapper, but I never saw any mention of it in any of the "'flapper-mod' posts." I will be curious to see if this changes once I've pulled the flapper assembly (I hope it's as easy as the RC51).

Maybe once Dan Kyle dig's deeper into the ECU more, more light will be shed on this subject? In the meantime if anyone else has any real basis for this sound, please post up- I'd like to know.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
I looked very closely at the Service Manual in the tranny section. I can't see anything that would be special about 6th gear. Gears C5 and C6 are tapered on one side, but they are all straight-cut gears. Don't know what it could be.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.