Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own several bikes plus I also do maintenance on my friends bikes so I will always have parts in stock like extra Honda OEM oil filters. I noticed that one filter was not like the rest. It was missing the number # 6 that is stamped inside the filter , The rubber seal was red and not black like OEM , The holes inside was much larger were the oil passes through , The lettering was darker , The filter was a little bit taller and it said " Made in China " After contacting the well known online store they did say that it came from a third party supplier which is why it took 31 days to be delivered and would ship me out another one from Honda as soon as possible.

Please be careful and inspect your parts before installing them as they could fail causing damage to your engine.
Has anyone had this happen to them ? If so what was the part ?
Thanks , Joe.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a video that I came across that confirms what the difference is between Real vs Counterfeit.

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,093 Posts

·
BOTM Moderator
363 Posts
I own several bikes plus I also do maintenance on my friends bikes so I will always have parts in stock like extra Honda OEM oil filters. I noticed that one filter was not like the rest. It was missing the number # 6 that is stamped inside the filter , The rubber seal was red and not black like OEM , The holes inside was much larger were the oil passes through , The lettering was darker , The filter was a little bit taller and it said " Made in China " After contacting the well known online store they did say that it came from a third party supplier which is why it took 31 days to be delivered and would ship me out another one from Honda as soon as possible.

Please be careful and inspect your parts before installing them as they could fail causing damage to your engine.
Has anyone had this happen to them ? If so what was the part ?
Thanks , Joe.
So are these really counterfeit, or just made differently? Counterfeit implies that it somehow inferior.
Differences in color of seal, 6 vs. M are not real enough to decide if something is a counterfeit.
Would be good to find out if the "red" ones, actually perform worst.

Is it possible that Honda contracted a different company to make these?

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,093 Posts
So are these really counterfeit, or just made differently? Counterfeit implies that it somehow inferior.
Differences in color of seal, 6 vs. M are not real enough to decide if something is a counterfeit.
Would be good to find out if the "red" ones, actually perform worst.

Is it possible that Honda contracted a different company to make these?
They're knock-offs (fakes). Check the video posted above. The fakes are missing the pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Boosston, I'm no expert nor am I willing to find out. Although these are Toyota filters you can get an idea on reliability.
Here is another video to answer your question , " Would be good to find out if the "red" ones, actually perform worst. "

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is it correct to assume, buy from your authorized Honda dealer only ?
One would assume that, but for me no matter where or what I buy I look to see if it's a counterfeit but even then you could be fooled.
This is something that has been going on for years from Rolex watches , iPhone's ,Handbags , Fake ID's even our own government was fooled when we bought counterfeit microchips back in 2010.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't know counterfeit filters were a thing. Thanks for posting this.
Your welcome.

That's why I joined this great forum, to learn and also share ideas.
I learned so much here about my SC77 in such a short time ,this site is invaluable.

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.

·
BOTM Moderator
363 Posts
I would and do. It's a good idea to support your local dealer. Life might suck if they went out of business. Some will even price match internet prices if you ask them.
I tell you, I do believe in supporting the local guys but at least with my dealer, its difficult.
The attitude of the parts guy sucks. Most of the items I've needed they don't have in stock. And, they charge MSRP and make no attempts at any kind of a discount to match online prices.
I understand that running a biz is difficult and all, but you have to adapt to competing with online businesses.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would and do. It's a good idea to support your local dealer. Life might suck if they went out of business. Some will even price match internet prices if you ask them.
I buy the filters from my dealer for two reasons. One is just to support them as you said. Two is that it helps document that I actually did change my oil at about the correct interval.

I do not ask my dealer to price match small dollar items like that. I generally only ask them to price match items like tires or helmets, especially if it’s not something they have in stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe that's why honda changed the filter part number and maybe itself, i just bought a OEM one from hondapartshouse and notice there diferent and the new number.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe that's why honda changed the filter part number and maybe itself, i just bought a OEM one from hondapartshouse and notice there diferent and the new number.
1. What is the part number that you have ?
2. Are you able to upload a picture showing the difference ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
15410-MFJ-D01 (old by TOYO ROKI) vs 15410-MFJ-D02 (new by WAKO FILTERS)

Dont have pictures of both filters since installed couple of months ago, dont have the old one anymore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
15410-MFJ-D01 (old by TOYO ROKI) vs 15410-MFJ-D02 (new by WAKO FILTERS)

Dont have pictures of both filters since installed couple of months ago, dont have the old one anymore.
Interesting but from my research the part your referencing " 15410-MFJ-D02 " Does not fit any CBR 1000RR. On what bike did you install it on ?

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,093 Posts
Interesting but from my research the part your referencing " 15410-MFJ-D02 " Does not fit any CBR 1000RR.
Revzilla is high 😜
Make a phone call do your local Honda parts department and check

1 - 20 of 27 Posts