Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I no longer have a fireblade as I got rid of it for the woman in my life. Less than six months later she cheated on me so now she’s gone and so is my bike. 🤦🏻‍♂️

(I miss Movi REALLY bad😩)

Yes I know I’m an idiot and lesson has been learned!!!

my question is simply this. All I do is street riding on the curvy country roads. I would love to have a brand new bike but don’t think I can really justify spending that kind of money for just a day-to-day street bike. I ideally would like to have a 2015+ model with an emphasis being on the newer end but wanted to get some opinions. If I could get my hands on a really good low mileage stock 15’ model for $6500 or less should I jump on that or should I pay the difference and get a 17+ model.
I understand doing track days and amateur racing the newer is better because of the better parts and more horsepower etc. but for what I’m doing is the difference really worth it?

I came from an 06 CBR1000RR. (Movi)

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you can get a clean 2015+ bike with low miles for $6500 or less, DO IT.
I couldn't find such a motorcycle in my area after looking for a few months, which is why I ended up going new. I had the same mindset as you that I don't need the latest and greatest and I'd rather save the cash, but for whatever reason the used market is really fucked where I live (Socal) so buying new just made more sense (and deep down I did want the 2017+ model).

3000 miles on my 2018 and no regrets, but, I'm sure I would have loved a 2008-2016 bike as well!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agree with HP17 on that but in the end I feel like I spent more money upgrading my used 2009 vs. if I had just bought a new 2017 SP outright. So if there are specific features that you want like WC, TC, LED lights, etc. just go for the 2017 base model because you will end up spending more money trying to add those features later when you get the itch.

Since you mention 2006 have you tried the newer digital dash? Personally, I hated the digital tachometer on the 2012-2016 so much it was a deal breaker for me at the time but you can do a meter swap for the simple "no frills" needle dial of the 2011 and prior bikes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nothing wrong with older bikes than 2015, I have 2012 and do both road and sometimes track days. You are likely to get cheaper parts for older bikes than 2017+

Just get low mileage, do full service and put on good tires like Q3+ which will be good for road, twisties and track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! If money wasn’t an issue I’d go strait to 2021 RR-R bc they are SICK!!!! But how the hell can you justify spending 28K on a bike you will ride one the highways and back roads of the countryside! Yea I’m thinking the 15+ looks good! I actually like the 2008 models but that oil burning issue has me very gun shy!!’ I’ve found a number of 2008 models for $4-5k all day long!!! Clean too!! So....what’s the deal!? I’d say when u fill up with gas you are probably topping of the oil too and I’m good on that mess.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This was the CBR I let go for a girl who cheated on me 6 months later. She didn't like riding it and it just sat all the time and she talked me into selling it. I'm so mad at myself for it. That pic was taken the day I let her go. The last pic I ever took of her...😥😥😥😥

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's hard to tell if a 2008-2011 bike will burn oil or not. I've read a lot of posts from people who experience this issue, yet my 09 does not burn any oil even after 30k miles.

Major red flag in relationship is when the other person makes you give up your hobbies/toys. I think the 2012-2016 bikes look better than the 2008-2011 at the front end...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S
It's hard to tell if a 2008-2011 bike will burn oil or not. I've read a lot of posts from people who experience this issue, yet my 09 does not burn any oil even after 30k miles.

Major red flag in relationship is when the other person makes you give up your hobbies/toys. I think the 2012-2016 bikes look better than the 2008-2011 at the front end...
She didn’t “make me” but seeing how we were always together and she didn’t like riding it it just sat. Never got ridden. I can’t express how much regret I have over letting it go.

I 100% agree 2012+ look better. I never cared for the flat nose look.

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
No reason to get a 17+ in your case. 12+ gets the better rims and front end but gets the crappy bar tachometer display. Easy to change on 12-16's but not changeable on the 17's that I'm aware of.
Also, its fine if you find a chick that isn't into bikes. Don't see the point of selling the bike though...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No reason to get a 17+ in your case. 12+ gets the better rims and front end but gets the crappy bar tachometer display. Easy to change on 12-16's but not changeable on the 17's that I'm aware of.
Also, its fine if you find a chick that isn't into bikes. Don't see the point of selling the bike though...
Yea I just kinda didn’t see her going anywhere and just saw my bike sitting all the time and continually getting older. She also wanted a SxS so I guess you can figure out what I did. 😩

·
Registered
387 Posts
One other reason for 2017 is if you want ABS brakes. The system on 2016 prior is known to cause problems and give inconsistent lever travel/feel also takes forever to bleed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually don’t want ABS at all 🙌🏻

·
BOTM Moderator
363 Posts
Don't give him to hard of a time.

Life has ups and downs, lefts and rights. Because of other activities/priorities, I ended up selling my pristine FZR after it sat and sat. Once the other priorities went away, I got back into M/Cing again and still regret selling it. I bet it would fetch a lot more on bringatrailer today, than the price I got for it.

So no worries, pick up where you left off and buy another one you like. a few years later, you'll like the new one and don't miss the 06 any more.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't give him to hard of a time.

Life has ups and downs, lefts and rights. Because of other activities/priorities, I ended up selling my pristine FZR after it sat and sat. Once the other priorities went away, I got back into M/Cing again and still regret selling it. I bet it would fetch a lot more on bringatrailer today, than the price I got for it.

So no worries, pick up where you left off and buy another one you like. a few years later, you'll like the new one and don't miss the 06 any more.

thanks! I have no doubt 🤗

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
Take what I say with a grain of salt, I still have the first vehicle I ever bought when I was 16 back in 97 [a 78 c10], my first bike I ever bought from 2007, I don't let go of things.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take what I say with a grain of salt, I still have the first vehicle I ever bought when I was 16 back in 97 [a 78 c10], my first bike I ever bought from 2007, I don't let go of things.
I typically don’t either. I think it’s why I regret it so much.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Any chance the buyer would let you have it back for the purchase price? Never hurts to ask if you regret it that bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any chance the buyer would let you have it back for the purchase price? Never hurts to ask if you regret it that bad.
it was a trade in 😩

·
Can't Spell
412 Posts
Search the vin you might get lucky and find it for sale somewhere else right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Search the vin you might get lucky and find it for sale somewhere else right now.
this is news to me. Can you tell me exactly how to do that??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts