Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Getting back into a Blade.

3K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  CBR1000RRRIDER 
#1 ·
So I no longer have a fireblade as I got rid of it for the woman in my life. Less than six months later she cheated on me so now she’s gone and so is my bike. 🤦🏻‍♂️

(I miss Movi REALLY bad😩)

Yes I know I’m an idiot and lesson has been learned!!!

my question is simply this. All I do is street riding on the curvy country roads. I would love to have a brand new bike but don’t think I can really justify spending that kind of money for just a day-to-day street bike. I ideally would like to have a 2015+ model with an emphasis being on the newer end but wanted to get some opinions. If I could get my hands on a really good low mileage stock 15’ model for $6500 or less should I jump on that or should I pay the difference and get a 17+ model.
I understand doing track days and amateur racing the newer is better because of the better parts and more horsepower etc. but for what I’m doing is the difference really worth it?

I came from an 06 CBR1000RR. (Movi)

#2 ·
If you can get a clean 2015+ bike with low miles for $6500 or less, DO IT.
I couldn't find such a motorcycle in my area after looking for a few months, which is why I ended up going new. I had the same mindset as you that I don't need the latest and greatest and I'd rather save the cash, but for whatever reason the used market is really fucked where I live (Socal) so buying new just made more sense (and deep down I did want the 2017+ model).

3000 miles on my 2018 and no regrets, but, I'm sure I would have loved a 2008-2016 bike as well!

#3 ·
Agree with HP17 on that but in the end I feel like I spent more money upgrading my used 2009 vs. if I had just bought a new 2017 SP outright. So if there are specific features that you want like WC, TC, LED lights, etc. just go for the 2017 base model because you will end up spending more money trying to add those features later when you get the itch.

Since you mention 2006 have you tried the newer digital dash? Personally, I hated the digital tachometer on the 2012-2016 so much it was a deal breaker for me at the time but you can do a meter swap for the simple "no frills" needle dial of the 2011 and prior bikes.

#4 ·
Nothing wrong with older bikes than 2015, I have 2012 and do both road and sometimes track days. You are likely to get cheaper parts for older bikes than 2017+

Just get low mileage, do full service and put on good tires like Q3+ which will be good for road, twisties and track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks guys! If money wasn’t an issue I’d go strait to 2021 RR-R bc they are SICK!!!! But how the hell can you justify spending 28K on a bike you will ride one the highways and back roads of the countryside! Yea I’m thinking the 15+ looks good! I actually like the 2008 models but that oil burning issue has me very gun shy!!’ I’ve found a number of 2008 models for $4-5k all day long!!! Clean too!! So....what’s the deal!? I’d say when u fill up with gas you are probably topping of the oil too and I’m good on that mess.

#6 · (Edited)
This was the CBR I let go for a girl who cheated on me 6 months later. She didn't like riding it and it just sat all the time and she talked me into selling it. I'm so mad at myself for it. That pic was taken the day I let her go. The last pic I ever took of her...😥😥😥😥

Attachments

#7 ·
It's hard to tell if a 2008-2011 bike will burn oil or not. I've read a lot of posts from people who experience this issue, yet my 09 does not burn any oil even after 30k miles.

Major red flag in relationship is when the other person makes you give up your hobbies/toys. I think the 2012-2016 bikes look better than the 2008-2011 at the front end...

#8 ·
S

She didn’t “make me” but seeing how we were always together and she didn’t like riding it it just sat. Never got ridden. I can’t express how much regret I have over letting it go.

I 100% agree 2012+ look better. I never cared for the flat nose look.

#9 ·
No reason to get a 17+ in your case. 12+ gets the better rims and front end but gets the crappy bar tachometer display. Easy to change on 12-16's but not changeable on the 17's that I'm aware of.
Also, its fine if you find a chick that isn't into bikes. Don't see the point of selling the bike though...

#10 ·
Yea I just kinda didn’t see her going anywhere and just saw my bike sitting all the time and continually getting older. She also wanted a SxS so I guess you can figure out what I did. 😩

#12 ·
I actually don’t want ABS at all 🙌🏻

#16 ·
I typically don’t either. I think it’s why I regret it so much.

#18 ·
it was a trade in 😩

#20 ·
this is news to me. Can you tell me exactly how to do that??

#21 ·
So I no longer have a fireblade as I got rid of it for the woman in my life. Less than six months later she cheated on me so now she’s gone and so is my bike. 🤦🏻‍♂️
During my first marriage I was riding to work one morning when a pickup ran a 4-way stop hitting me in the rear when still leaned over, putting me down. Just had bruises thanks to a full riding suit and damage to the bike that I had to repair. But the wife said I had to stop riding or she would leave me, I said See Ya, and kept the bike and divorced her. Never give up something that you truly love to do for another, if they don't like it then they are not right for you.
Good luck in finding a nice ride. ;)

#22 ·
I agree and lesson learned! Believe me I’m not upset she’s gone but I am upset the bike is gone.

#26 ·

my question is simply this. All I do is street riding on the curvy country roads. I would love to have a brand new bike but don’t think I can really justify spending that kind of money for just a day-to-day street bike. I ideally would like to have a 2015+ model with an emphasis being on the newer end but wanted to get some opinions. If I could get my hands on a really good low mileage stock 15’ model for $6500 or less should I jump on that or should I pay the difference and get a 17+ model.
I understand doing track days and amateur racing the newer is better because of the better parts and more horsepower etc. but for what I’m doing is the difference really worth it?

hi
I had a 2013 fire blade was great for sporty rides and the odd track day. The comfy seat even made it OK for a couple of days but of touring.
I traded it in on a 2017 SP model, wow this is so much better in every way but still has the same seat to pedal to bars dimensions. Best bike I’ve owned so far worth the little bit extra

#27 ·
I’ve heard great things about them especially with the suspension. Sadly they don’t make any more power than the base model though.

#29 ·
oh no doubt but I was planning on flashing the base model ECU too so what would be the difference then?🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

#31 ·
So just an update on my previous post. I tracked down my old bike!! I had a little help with some friends in the department of motor vehicle and a used car salesman running Carfax reports as well as a service manager at a certain Honda shop. My bike went from being stupid show room condition clean to hey stunt bike. Why someone would take a bike as clean as mine was and destroy it is beyond me. There are lots of trashed bikes out there to make a stunt bike out of.

So buying my old bike back is out of the question at this point. I know we have discussed a lot on this post and there are lots of post probably regarding my next question but here it goes.

I know the 08 and up bikes handle much better than the 06/07 bikes. I understand that they make more power than the 06/07 bikes. My question is this. I have found a 2012 bike that was laid down on one side and has a scratched stater cover and swingarm. The plastics were all replaced but the guy that laid it down turned it into insurance I guess because it has a rebuilt title. The current owner swears it is mechanically sound the pictures look like it is very very clean. I think I can get it for five grand. The bike has approximately 9000 miles on it.
The only mods besides different fairings is it has a slip on exhaust. No power commander no ECU flash everything else is stock.

my other option is and 07RR With a full titanium Akro Exhaust with power commander. It also comes with an extra set of OEM plastic fairings and has approximately the same mileage. The guy is asking $5500 but could probably get it for 5000 as well.

I have logged a lot of miles on an 06/07RR and I am very familiar with their comfort. So I am asking someone who has ridden both of them what would you buy?
From what I have discovered on this site
Motorcycle Ergonomics it appears the 06/07 has less of a lean angle and you’re legs are not as bent up. I would think that would mean you’d be more comfortable on longer rides but I don’t know.

so for the people out there that I have written both bikes white would you do in my situation? I think both of those bikes are a good deal and at first glance I would say get the 2012 with the rebuilt title but then again it’s a rebuilt title and doesn’t have full titanium exhaust.

#33 ·
The guy said bc the the nose, left side fairing, tail section, stator cover, and swing arm being scratch the insurance wants to replace them all. Those parts from Honda are so expensive it will total it. The frame might have been scratched too but he didn’t mention it.
He said it was taken to missouri state police for inspection. It passed inspection and thats where the rebuilt title came from. After fixing it and getting inspection it was issued a rebuilt title.

#43 ·
I might not have the popular opinion here, but I sold my 2006 1000RR and bought a 2018. So far, as a street-only bike, I prefer the 2006.

Ive never ridden anything in-between those years, but I can say with complete certainty the 2006 is a much better street bike than the 2017-2019. Low end and mid range are substantially better. My 18 doesn’t make any power until near 7k, and in 1st gear, I’m already speeding at that RPM on most city streets.

The 08-11 and 2012-2015 bikes might still have the same ‘street able’ tune as the 2006 but I’m not sure. Point is if you want a good street bike, don’t hesitate to look to the older models. Since you’ve already owned a 2006 you have the familiarity. And that year is, in my opinion, one of the best looking 1000RRs.

Shaun

#44 ·
Thank you! I’m kinda leaning that direction to be honest with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.