Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a few items to the 2008 LE. Gilles rearsets, Woodcraft frame sliders, Taylormade engine covers, 2009 rear turn signals and an E-Cushion seat. Thanks to Brad for the seat and rearsets.

I used the laser pointer method for cutting the holes in the lowers. Not too bad. I did have to redo the laser alignment on one side because when I removed the fairing to cut the hole I noticed that the laser has shifted and was no longer centered on the engine bolt. Check this!

I put a peice of Blue painter's tape on the bolt to help find the center with the laser. Also Blue tape on the fairing and a Shapie to make the spot. Small center drill to locate the hole, then a proper 2" hole saw. Add a little filing to smooth the edges and Voila. One thing about the Woodcraft sliders is that the Delrin slider is short, so on the bottom it sticks proud of the fairing. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer it if it was a tad longer so that the hole in the fairing sealed all the way around the slider.

After all the hub-bub I'd read about how hard it was to remove and replace the fairings, I was expecting the worst. And of course that means it turned out to be much easier than I thought. Especially after you take the parts on and off a few times it really becomes a sinch. One tip is to put a light coating of Vaseline on the lip of the ram air tube where it presses into the air box. This lets it slide right in. The absolute harderst part was the very last two inner trim peices. Specifically the stupid little plastic button screws. I just could not get the button to pop out for the longest time. I fiddled and finally discovered the decoder ring, though it's impossible to explain. After that those peices popped right in. The very lower part, the trick (as stated in the manual) is that you have to slide it back to get it off (and forwards to engage it). Then attach the "wings". You can bend stuff around quite a bit, but not too much obviously. Just stay calm and keep trying.

The Gilles rearsets to not completely allow one to mimic the factory peg position. They end up about 7/8" farther to the rear, even when shoved fully forward. And about 1/8" higher. I raised them 3/4" over stock and will try how they feel. The are incredibly adjustable. Rear brake lever (pedal) feels a little flexy. Shifter is quite stiff, as it is now mounted to the lower engine mount, as opposed to the side stand bracket.

I've not yet ridden the seat so cannot comment.

Turn signals look better in my opinion (09 vs. 08). I like the look of a factory signal, it balances the mirrors up front. It's a street bike, so I have no problem if it looks the part.

Gustave

·
Chief Chocolate Officer
1,148 Posts
I like those rear sigs much better this year...they must have had some inventory left from the '04-'07 they had to use up in '08...:th_SmlyROFL:

Nice mods for your LE...always love the taylormade goodies...now all you need is a TM pipe, FE...

I have an LE too... but I'm sticking with the stock rearsets until I am ready to do major mods...liked the previous version of Gilles better...more distinctive...

I sat on that seat last year...a definite improvement...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Great Job, very classy on the parts selected.

·
carbonated
984 Posts
doh! you already edited it...the hugger haha...you too fast man...

looks great though! def. like the sig's better..and good info on the rearsets... the stock position so far seems to suit me well, but we will see once I get to ride it a bit harder on a track.

also wanted to ask if the spools make it much easier to get it on the rear stand... I see them alot... but my rear stand isnt too difficult to get under the swinger...is there an added benifit I am missing?

:cheers:

·
Chief Chocolate Officer
1,148 Posts
doh! you already edited it...the hugger haha...you too fast man...

looks great though! def. like the sig's better..and good info on the rearsets... the stock position so far seems to suit me well, but we will see once I get to ride it a bit harder on a track.

also wanted to ask if the spools make it much easier to get it on the rear stand... I see them alot... but my rear stand isnt too difficult to get under the swinger...is there an added benifit I am missing?

:cheers:
The only downside to spools is if you crash the bike...it bends the soft threaded piece on the swingarm...ideally you should run without them and just stick them on when you want to life the bike.

Of course at the track, that might be between every session...so I would then use axle sliders from SuperMoto Engineering that are longer than the spools, therefore recommending very small spools...I use the little PitBulls.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've notice that with the solid resets and frame sliders the spools usually don't get taken out during a crash..... usually.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've notice that with the solid resets and frame sliders the spools usually don't get taken out during a crash..... usually.
I have no idea if it makes any difference, but I have the Woodcraft "slider spools". They have a lot of extra Delrin protruding past the bolt head. So it would take a bit of sliding before the bolt head gets caught on the pavement. I suppose each situation is unique and it's impossible to have guaranteed protection.

I had the Pit Bull spools prior.

Gustave

·
Registered
363 Posts
when my 600 fell....my gillies didn't help at all. those things just cracked. no strength in them. they look nice but didn't hold up. my new vortex are some real beefy rearsets. they seem like they are made to be like sliders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts