Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to source (for free) a local set of mangled fork from an 08 bike. I took the opportunity to dive into the cartridge to see how what would be involved in revalve with a race tech kit. The Compression valve seems easy enough, I could access those with little to no effort, and the instructions on Racetech's site seem like a matter of precisely assembling the stack and reinstalling.

the Rebound is a different story. On the first fork, I simply took an angle grinder and ground down the staked in clip above the rubber lock to push the rod out the bottom and see how the valve worked; sort of a throw away piece. On the second, I've tried to follow the instructions (which seem to lack a lot of detail) on removing the staked in lock retaining clip and I can't see at all how to remove it. The suggestions I mostly see involve a chisel and a hammer, but that isn't working without doing some real damage to the rod. So my question is made up of the following parts:

1. what is the best way to remove that clip without inflicting irreversible damage to the rod?
  2. Is it necessary to reuse that clip, or the rubber hydro lock at all? The instructions don't explicitly state that I'll need or be able to keep that piece. With the condition of the roads here, and the bike being mostly street oriented, I do want to keep that lock functional.
  3. Since I DO want to keep that hydro lock in place, is the rebound valve even a worthwhile investment? again, its a street/ mountain roads bike with hopes to eventually make it to a track day?
Attached are pics of the piece I'm referring to. again, keep in mind that these are NOT the forks that are going into the bike. just some trash pieces that I get to practice on....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You try calling/contacting Racetech?
not yet. I haven’t even bought the parts yet. Just trying to gauge Community knowledge first. Especially as it doesn’t seem like there is much in the way of walkthroughs/discussions on tearing down cartridges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps some of these threads could help?

much appreciated. I’m pretty confident in fork disassembly, I’ve done fork seals on this bike and my 600 before, but normally I don’t touch the inner cartridge. thats specifically what I was looking to find out.

I guess that based on the lack of info, most guys doing this are paying someone to do it, and that’s fine. I found one guy way back somewhere near page 15 that did a video of his install, but it was from 2010ish and not easy to see what he’s doing. Ive got that thread bookmarked. I may go post on the 600 site and see if there’s any cartridge breakdown info there.

but thanks again for the thread list. I think I’ve read through those before, but I’ll make sure I didn’t miss anything.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,017 Posts
but thanks again for the thread list. I think I’ve read through those before, but I’ll make sure I didn’t miss anything.
That’s great that you service your own forks! :LOL:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone that stumbles across this in future searches; It seems like the best way to get that upper retainer off is to knock it upwards with a flathead screwdriver and mallet. I originally was worried that method would mar up the shaft, but the only scratches I had where from lazy placement of the screwdriver. I got the shaft in softjaws and a couple minutes of some sharp knocks got it up the threads. Then I got some pliers and twisted it off the top. Chased the threads to clean them and 400 grit sandpaper to smooth down the shaft. Not bad.

I think I'll have to email race tech to get their opinion on retaining the oil locks. Ive seen others suggesting to add more fluid and decrease the air gap in the fork to compensate for no locks, but not a consistent enough answer to rely on.

Reactions: J D
1 - 7 of 7 Posts