Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Got to thinking about your traction experience. The base bike comes with somewhat less aggressive BS S21 or Dunlop D214 rubber compared to the SP and SP2 BS RS10 or Pirelli Supercorsa's.

Based on your aggressive riding style I would suggest a tire upgrade pretty soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got to thinking about your traction experience. The base bike comes with somewhat less aggressive BS S21 or Dunlop D214 rubber compared to the SP and SP2 BS RS10 or Pirelli Supercorsa's.

Based on your aggressive riding style I would suggest a tire upgrade pretty soon.
Mine has the Dunlops. I had Supercorsas on the Ducati until the last set of tires I put on it. I went to Diablo Rossa IIIs and was very happy with them and got a lot better mileage. That is likely what I will put on the CBR next.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a couple of questions.

How do you remove the gas tank cover. I see two bolts at the front going in from the sides, and two under the front seat. I can't tell if there are clips, or anything that pops into rubber grommets etc that have to be separated. I don't want to break anything that clips into place from underneath like many bikes.

Second, is there auxiliary power anywhere? I need to hook up a couple of electrical accessories. I'll power a relay from a switched source. From what I read, there seems to be power under the rear seat somewhere to connect the Honda accessory USB port. Can anyone give me any guidance?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know where the rear bolts are. After taking the four bolts off (two front, two rear), does it just lift off?

Can the Honda plug be bought somewhere without spending a fortune? I can just find a hot wire there and tap into it for what little current I need for the relay, but a proper plug would be nice.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Yes, lifts off. There are alignment tabs that fit over the frame rail. Just lifts up.

I try never tap into the existing wires and rather just use the correct plugs.
Helps when using logging and other accessories on customer bikes.

I believe its a Sumitomo MT090-4

·
Registered
84 Posts

About traction...
I was told that you have to scrub in new tires for a few hundred mile before you get full traction out of them.
something to do with coating or smooth outside surface or ...

If true, I'm surprised the tires did so well in the first 120 miles.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
About traction...
I was told that you have to scrub in new tires for a few hundred mile before you get full traction out of them.

I’m going to guess wt all the OP’s experience, he took it easy for the first 20 miles.

Personally, I’m usually more concerned wt the fluids on the shop floor, (back of the dlrship), then I am with anything else.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’m going to guess wt all the OP’s experience, he took it easy for the first 20 miles.

Personally, I’m usually more concerned wt the fluids on the shop floor, (back of the dlrship), then I am with anything else.
Yes, I “Sneak up” on Pushing the limits of new tires. Your point about fluids on shop floors is a good concern to have. Thanks.

Reactions: J D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, jjscsix, for the detailed sharing of your heart about both bikes. Those are invaluable commentaries as they speak directly from your own experiences. Much appreciated!

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
148 Posts
I will loan you a tuned ECU.

Even with the stock exhaust the difference in power delivery and regaining the missing power above 10,000rpm will have you singing a very different tune :)

The stock ECU is that restricted (y)
Can a PowerCommander5 come close to releasing any of these restrictions? I've not done any research on this but thought I ask.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
About traction...

I read something from one of the tire manufacturers (Dunlop?) that said that release agents haven't been used in a long time.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks, jjscsix, for the detailed sharing of your heart about both bikes. Those are invaluable commentaries as they speak directly from your own experiences. Much appreciated!
Hmmmm, Japanese Powersports and German cars. You have some explaining to do ;). I have a 2017 540 M-Sport. My close friend I ride with every week has a 2020 M8 Gran Coupe Competition and his wife's car is a 2020 911S. I've been a huge car guy all my life too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Second Post...

This morning I put another 150 miles on it on top of the 120 I did yesterday. Mostly the same back roads, plus a little diversion that is a neat little four mile stretch of road with a two mile straightway followed by two miles of good curves - and very little traffic.

First off, when I got to the first fast sweeper, as in easy to take at 100, as I started accelerating through the curve - not hard acceleration, I suddenly felt as though the rear tire might be slipping slightly and what felt like a "miss" in the engine a couple of times. I was coming up on a few more similar curves and while I still took them at 80-90 I was being a bit cautious and trying to see if it happened again. It did it a little in one more curve. I actually pulled over and checked to be sure I didn't have a tire going flat - did not.

So when I got to the road mentioned above, I was going right into an early morning sun and had to be careful in the curves as the sun was borderline blinding. I've ridden these roads probably a thousand times, so I know what to expect. I also knew I would be doing the same road again an hour and a half later when the sun was up higher. So, when I came back later, I started pushing harder, and even ran the bike pretty hard in a straight line in third gear and felt the same feeling of the engine cutting out. At that point I felt sure it was the traction control. I don't think the bike ever really lost traction enough to slide, but was just enough to trigger traction control, which I had set to "2" at the time.

So, when I got to the end of the curves on that road, and was turning around to go back the other way, I stopped and set Torque to "1". I got pretty aggressive in all the curves going back home and it did not do it again, so I'm pretty sure that is what was happening. My Ducati traction control also intervened when I first got it and had it set at an intermediate setting. But on that bike I never felt it kick in, I just saw the TC light come on.

My attitude about break in is to go easy on it the fist hundred miles or so, then run it pretty much as hard as I want except to keep it off the rev limiter for another couple hundred miles. I also am fanatical about running the bike easy until the oil has ample time to come up to operating temperature. So yes, I ran it pretty hard up to about 11,000 rpm. Prefer not to say how fast, but lets just say that I was well over the ton in fourth gear before backing off. I must admit the sound and acceleration are quite intoxicating.

The ergonomics may actually be slightly better than the Panigale. That may sound obvious to some of you, but I actually was very comfortable on the Panigale. Comfortable being relative of course. My hands are my biggest problem. A throttlemeister is my fix for that. I had one on my Panigale, and have ordered a similar product for the CBR (KAOKO). I know some folks worry about the throttle locks, but I have used them on a variety of bikes for many years. If you set them right, they are easy to "over ride" if you need to. And I never activate them when condition are not right.

I was also pleasantly surprised to get over 42 MPG for the day. Keep in mind that I have a 50 mile ride to get to the good roads. I cruise along mostly country roads that are straight and flat. I was actually averaging right at 45 for quite a while. My Ducati got 38 or so just cruising along the same roads, and I usually averaged right around 36 almost all the time.

Handling is very good, but different than the Ducati. The Ducati is set up for a little more stability where the CBR leans just a little more to "flick-ability". The CBR does not feel quite as much like its "on rails" like the Ducati did, but that is not criticism, just noting the differences. What always struck me about the Ducati was that in those fast curves that I have ridden on a lot of different bikes (and Corvettes), even when I thought I was taking it easy, I would glance down at the speedometer as I came off the apex and was surprised at how fast I was going. That bike was so easy to ride fast that it was amazing.

Engine differences. As pointed out earlier, the CBR feels like it has more than 149 at the rear wheel. The Ducati and CBR actually weigh about the same, but most dyno tests I've seen on the 1199 were at least 170. Some of you may not know, but the 1199 was a peaky engine. I remember vividly when I first got it passing a car on a country road in fourth gear and thinking "wow, this bike does not feel all that fast". I would soon learn that the power was hiding out at 7,000 rpm, with a second spike at 8,000 rpm. But at 8,000 it is wanting to pull your arms out of their sockets.

Because the Ducati is so peaky, and the CBR a much more linear power delivery with more mid range torque, it's hard to say whether one is really faster than the other. Logic says the Ducati is faster, and I think it is based upon tests and just what I know. But having run the CBR fairly hard this morning, I'm prepared to say that they are close enough in acceleration that if the Ducati is faster, its no enough to matter. The CBR runs great. I know what you guys are going to say about the tune - RC45 :) But for now I don't feel cheated at all.

One other thing I don't think I mentioned yet. As some of you may recall, I was a bit concerned about not getting ABS. I'm a big believer in it. But I realized quickly yesterday, and again today that the brakes are very easy to modulate, and don't have that sudden initial bite that the M50 Brembos that were on both my Panigale and my Superduke had. That is a good thing for me.

While I loved the Panigale, I am happy to say that I have zero regrets. The CBR has put a big smile on my face. I would not rule out buying an SP down the road - maybe a 70th birthday present :)
Great posts! I’m an older rider too by most people’s standards (turning 50 in NOV) and I loved reading about your experience. It makes me smile knowing there are older guys out there still enjoying the sport bike experience in their later years, and living life to the fullest! You are simply a bad ass in my eyes, and thank you much for sharing. 👍

21 - 40 of 167 Posts