Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CBR1000RR and numerous RC51's
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought forums like this weren’t active much these days thanks to social media groups, but I keep finding lots of great engine builds in here and I am about to start one myself.

I’m a Firefighter/Paramedic out on Cape Cod, MA. I’m also a member of a private track in New Hampshire where I now log all my miles.

All except for one of my bikes is an RC51. The odd ball being an 04 1000RR which I kinda modeled the livery after the Honda Racing team colors back when DuHamel and B Boz raced them after Honda retired the RC51. It has Penske valved forks sprung to my weight and an Ohlins rear shock. And then the usuals such as braided lines, Gillies Gp shifter conversion, Yoshimura slip-on, trimmed wire harness. Nothing too crazy as it’s just a track mule that I have grown to like more and more and use to teach myself to be smooth. It helps me ride the RC51’s faster around the track 👍

Some photos from the years included.

Currently, it’s engine is apart and I am attempting to build away it’s only achilies heel… oil consumption due to bad piston rings that got beat up by who knows what the heck happened to the piston skirts and cylinder walls prior to my ownership as this bike has had a sooty tailpipe and consumed oil from the day I bought it with just 3,500 miles on it. JE 2mm piston kit going in and that’s probably it ensure it stays reliable for my needs. I will have engine building questions to come.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Helmet Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Silver Rim Automotive tire Auto part Circle

Tire Wheel Property Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Hand Automotive tire Finger Gas Tire

Tire Wheel Mountain Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sports gear Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outstanding 1st post..! Welcome to the Forum..!!!
Which private track is it? Loudon was my go-to, years ago.
Club Motorsports over in Tamworth.

I was an avid TTD'er for a few seasons but had a bad accident at Road America that caused me to reevaluate what I want from this hobby and how best to achieve it and ultimately decided the costs of a membership at that track were worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds like you have an emotional connection to the RC51s, but it also sounds like there are some drawbacks too. Can you explain?
Thanks.
When they debuted, they shared the same performance as far as acceleration and top speed figures as a 1999 Yamaha R6. So they were never truly Superbike fast and they sure don't handle like a lightweight 600 that they match in performance. So you gotta know that they are never going to wow you with liter bike performance.

But I have learned to keep up with the well ridden RSV4's at my track or even pass them by honing my skills and extracting everything I can in the areas they do well, which keeps it fun and rewarding.

See if I can attach a video of me dueling with a heckuva built RSV4…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When they debuted, they shared the same performance as far as acceleration and top speed figures as a 1999 Yamaha R6. So they were never truly Superbike fast and they sure don't handle like a lightweight 600 that they match in performance. So you gotta know that they are never going to wow you with liter bike performance.

But I have learned to keep up with the well ridden RSV4's at my track or even pass them by honing my skills and extracting everything I can in the areas they do well, which keeps it fun and rewarding.
Welcome, RC51's are awesome, I have a couple myself. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts