Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CBR1000RR, 2021 Ducati SF V4S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after buying the 2018 CBR1000RR earlier this year and now having 1100 miles on it (thanks to the nice sunny days lately here in the PNW)

I have sold my Ducati Streetfighter V4S, and have shifted my sights to the Africa Twin (2021 in the tri-color) as a stable mate for the Fireblade.

I'm torn though on the DCT... I've watched pretty much every single review I could find on the 2020 AF, I've looked at the options available from Rally Raid for wheel packages that go from 21/19" to 19/17" tubeless to give better tire options for a more road centric machine, etc.

Any feedback on the DCT? wheel swap - handling on-road/off-road with the new setup, etc?

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,378 Posts
Any feedback on the DCT?
So I test rode a VFR with DCT and occasionally it would shift in the middle of a turn. It's one thing when you're intentionally doing it with a QS, and another when the bike does it by itself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I test rode a VFR with DCT and occasionally it would shift in the middle of a turn. It's one thing when you're intentionally doing it with a QS, and another when the bike does it by itself.
Yeah, I've heard that before on the VFR, the which is why I'm looking specifically at the 2021 AT - as it has the new 6-axis IMU which keeps the DCT from shifting mid turn (Hypothetically ;-) ).

·
a d m i n
151,008 Posts
Congrats! Thst AT is a sweet stablemate to a CBR.

Tuff call between the dct & manual. I’d prolly go manual just because.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Friend of mine just purchased a 900 Triumph tiger and I'm really impressed with how it rides and the electronic wizardry. He exhaustively went through all the mid sized bikes and came up with the triumph as the smart buy. Thats him and the sales guy sorting the bluetooth.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! That was actually what I started looking at, but ended up coming back the AT.

I really just need to get a ride on each of them, the local Triumph dealer had demo bikes, neither of my local Honda dealers does test rides unless you essentially give them a PO. It's kind of crazy, I can walk into the local Ducati dealer and test ride a 200HP $30k+ Panigale on a rainy day, yet our local Honda dealers look at you like you're crazy when you ask to test ride a $10k bike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I don't know how they expect to sell bikes like that, especially when there is such good competition. I just have to say that new triumph motor is super sweet and tractable.

·
Can't Spell
436 Posts
He exhaustively went through all the mid sized bikes and came up with the triumph as the smart buy.
People like this blow my mind. No passion, no lust, just whats the most logical, practical, efficient purchase. I can't even comprehend how someone's mind works like this with something like a motorcycle.

OP- Manual trans of course. Auto's are boring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
People like this blow my mind. No passion, no lust, just whats the most logical, practical, efficient purchase. I can't even comprehend how someone's mind works like this with something like a motorcycle.

haha interesting comments, My friend pictured has a collection of bikes and this purchase is a tool to do what he needs which is light touring on difficult back roads, so he thought this would be a good choice.
Myself I have a 2017 R1200GS, Sherco 300 SEFR, Ducati 1199, ZX10R and 1000RR so clearly have no one eyed interpretation of motorcycling pleasure like yourself.

bored&stroked more like bored&and stroking ones self :)

·
BOTM Moderator
477 Posts

I think you got it wrong about "no passion, no lust, etc." If they had no passion and only looked at practicality/efficiency they would buy a station wagon or SUV, because that's what they are.

There are some people who go buy stuff and if they don't like it, say ehh.. i'll loose $xxx and try something else.
There are some people who go buy stuff and if they don't like it, say crap, let me do more research next time and make sure I don't get burnt.

More complicated that this, but here are a few ways I would summary:
It's not about passion, it's about how you deal with risk of ending up with something you don't like. So one group will just buy something and keep spending money to modify, or sell and get another. Some people spend time upfront to get closer to what they would like to have.

Another way to look at is, some people are happy when they feel like they got the most for their money. So the spent time upfront to balance $$ spent vs. features they get.

Some people are happy when they get what they think they want, no matter how much money they throw at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you got it wrong about "no passion, no lust, etc." If they had no passion and only looked at practicality/efficiency they would buy a station wagon or SUV, because that's what they are.

There are some people who go buy stuff and if they don't like it, say ehh.. i'll loose $xxx and try something else.
There are some people who go buy stuff and if they don't like it, say crap, let me do more research next time and make sure I don't get burnt.

More complicated that this, but here are a few ways I would summary:
It's not about passion, it's about how you deal with risk of ending up with something you don't like. So one group will just buy something and keep spending money to modify, or sell and get another. Some people spend time upfront to get closer to what they would like to have.

Another way to look at is, some people are happy when they feel like they got the most for their money. So the spent time upfront to balance $$ spent vs. features they get.

Some people are happy when they get what they think they want, no matter how much money they throw at it.
My journey with motorcycles has resembled each of those types/modes... case in point my most recent purchase before my '18 Fireblade - I bought the Ducati Streetfighter V4S @ ~$26K out the door, gobs of power, gobs of character, beautiful soundtrack, still fairly exclusive in the dark stealth livery, handled a dream, fast, very comfortable, best in class electronics, lovely tft display, yada yada yada, the list went on, and I loved riding it, but I still felt like there was a disconnect for me, never was able to determine what exactly I didn't like.

I turned around and bought the fireblade pretty much sight unseen, the dealer would not let me test it without a purchase agreement - However, it fits me like a glove, I love everything about it, and it's simply one of the best bikes I've ridden and it was considerably less than half the cost of the SF, less powerful, not as comfortable, and may other not as's but it is what fits for me right now, and I'm very happy I made this move!

Back to the AT- and my declaration of being a honda fanboy :) , I had the Ducati multistrada 1200s, and loved everything about it, originally thought I was going to buy another used one - but with the positive experience of the fireblade I'm hopeful to replicate the good feelings in a different class of bike with the purchase of the AT

Thanks for the continuing comments!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove the first AT model with DCT. Perfect for traffic riding. Most of my rising is not in traffic however. In the corners it didn't hold on to the gears long enough and going into corners didn't downshift into a low enough gear. Keep in mind this was also in the most aggressive sport mode. I put about 30km onto it with DCT before I permanently switched over to the manual button mode of shifting.that faired decently. However I can up and downshift manually more quickly than dct could. For this reason I could never own a DCT transmissions bike at their current levels of performance.

They also add a bunch of weight to the bike if this a variable that is important to you.

I am not anti new technology at all. I own and enjoy in various bikes; Recluse clutches and CVT transmissions. Its just there were too many negatives for DCT in the form I drove to warrant choosing it as an option.

Regarding the Triumph 900. I test rode the Rally pro version and loved the electronics and brakes (Styleema Brembo brakes make my M50 Brembos feel like shopping cart brakes ). I did however like the traditional Triumph triple versus there latest 900 build with the different crank layout. I found the midrange wonderful but the upper rpms vibrated something fierce. It also had no pull in upper rpms if that is something you enjoy.

I'm currently looking at a 2019 CBR1000R SP1 to add to the stable. Honda usually do things quite well. That's why I was surprised being unimpressed with DCT. Again keep in mind mine was the 2019 model and if they have eliminated the variables I found on the new model, wonderful.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Honda CBR1000RR SP1
10 Posts
I have a DCT Africa Twin & its great. Take one for a long ride & see for yourself. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you absolutely have to be in control just hit the manual switch & use the +/- buttons to shift yourself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove the first AT model with DCT. Perfect for traffic riding. Most of my rising is not in traffic however. In the corners it didn't hold on to the gears long enough and going into corners didn't downshift into a low enough gear. Keep in mind this was also in the most aggressive sport mode. I put about 30km onto it with DCT before I permanently switched over to the manual button mode of shifting.that faired decently. However I can up and downshift manually more quickly than dct could. For this reason I could never own a DCT transmissions bike at their current levels of performance.

They also add a bunch of weight to the bike if this a variable that is important to you.

I am not anti new technology at all. I own and enjoy in various bikes; Recluse clutches and CVT transmissions. Its just there were too many negatives for DCT in the form I drove to warrant choosing it as an option.

Regarding the Triumph 900. I test rode the Rally pro version and loved the electronics and brakes (Styleema Brembo brakes make my M50 Brembos feel like shopping cart brakes ). I did however like the traditional Triumph triple versus there latest 900 build with the different crank layout. I found the midrange wonderful but the upper rpms vibrated something fierce. It also had no pull in upper rpms if that is something you enjoy.

I'm currently looking at a 2019 CBR1000R SP1 to add to the stable. Honda usually do things quite well. That's why I was surprised being unimpressed with DCT. Again keep in mind mine was the 2019 model and if they have eliminated the variables I found on the new model, wonderful.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I have a DCT Africa Twin & its great. Take one for a long ride & see for yourself. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you absolutely have to be in control just hit the manual switch & use the +/- buttons to shift yourself.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well, I just got done test riding a 2019 DCT version yesterday, put about 60 miles on it. Great bike, fun ride, heightened my interest overall in the AT and pretty sure I'm buying one now, however I'm pretty sure it's going to be the manual version, a lot of the fun in riding for me is rowing through the gears and I know it was only 60 miles, but I'm just not sure I can get used to it..meaning the automatic/button shifter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. I miss blipping a cabled throttle.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or what! 🤣
But... I still think it's strange to use quickshifters and autoblippers..

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,378 Posts
But... I still think it's strange to use quickshifters and autoblippers..
Nope, not sarcasm, but modern racing is all about QS and autoblippers, hell my car has OEM rev matching on downshifts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, not sarcasm, but modern racing is all about QS and autoblippers, hell my car has OEM rev matching on downshifts.
I definitely prefer more analog than digital!
My blade is the base model and originally I planned on doing the factory QS and blipper, but I’m not sure anymore about that.

·
Can't Spell
436 Posts
haha interesting comments, My friend pictured has a collection of bikes and this purchase is a tool to do what he needs which is light touring on difficult back roads, so he thought this would be a good choice.
Myself I have a 2017 R1200GS, Sherco 300 SEFR, Ducati 1199, ZX10R and 1000RR so clearly have no one eyed interpretation of motorcycling pleasure like yourself.

bored&stroked more like bored&and stroking ones self :)
What in the world are you talking about?
One eyed interpretation of motorcycling pleasure? You confirmed my statement: " this purchase is a tool" not something that has any feelings or passion placed on the purchase. Sure, the experience of using said product is something different all together, but the purchase was exactly what I said.
Awesome, you have several bikes. How that means you see motorcycling pleasure differently then me I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts