Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 2012 CBR 1000 over the weekend and she is having a really hard time starting.
16k miles and is due to go in for the first valve service before spring.
I have a brand new battery on the bike hooked up to a charger/ starter assist (This is what the timer clicking sound is in the background)

As seen in the video the bike still has trouble starting after its been running already and I shut it off

Spark plugs? Starter going on its way out? Or just because of the cold 30F weather here?

At a loss and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery issue (old fuel, too little fuel making through the injectors or too much fuel). when it did start, did you see white smoke from the exhaust?

How old is the gas in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fuel delivery issue (old fuel, too little fuel making through the injectors or too much fuel). when it did start, did you see white smoke from the exhaust?

How old is the gas in there?

Gas is only a couple months old. I bought the bike off of a friend. The bike had a shot battery in it and in my haste to get it home I grabbed a battery from the nearest auto parts store and upon further just using my eyes and brain I saw its only a 50 Cold Crank Amp battery. Do you know what the cold crank amp requirements are?

My buddy originally had a 210 CCA battery in the bike and had zero issues for the first few months of ownership.
He somehow ended up arcing a wire, fried the battery, and blew a fuse.
He replaced the fuse and put in a new battery that was 150 Cold Crank Amps.

The bike would start and ride fine until about a month later.
It would start up and ride fine but when going to a gas station the bike would not restart unless it sat for around 15 to 20 minutes and then would restart.

My suspicion now is that he had a battery that was just below what the bike requires for crank amps and the battery would get drained because it was trying to use more power than it had?
Then he wouldn't ride long enough for the battery to recharge.
Or the charging system is completely shot but why would it suddenly start after he switched batteries?

I read somewhere that the charging systems only charge the batteries over something like 3k RPM's and that if you only ride occasionally and/or for short rides that its a good idea to always keep the bike on a trickle charger. Otherwise the bike is constantly using more power than its replenishing. Take that into account with possibly too low of a Cold Crank Amp battery. That makes sense right? A

I absolutely suck with troubleshooting vehicles.

Thanks for taking the time to read

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would agree if the battery was an issue recently then you should get a proper battery and get a charger.

If it works the first time and then it doesn’t work unless you charge it then you need to change your stator (generator that charges the battery). That hesitation you hear the first time it starts could be just from the bike being too rich due to you keep turning the key on and off and sending more and more fuel, it should burn off once the bike starts up)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts