Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A10
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am doing a little bit of work on the bike because i have procrastinated all winter long. But i just got a cf hugger. I can't seem to get to the center bolt very well because of the shock and the height of the hugger. Any ideas. plus the bolt is starting to get stripped. The previous owner stripped out several of the bolts because he used an air ratchet. :th_down:

I read people drilling out the bolts and using some sort of extractor bit. Any ideas. Especially for the one on the hugger. I am trying to do the flapper mod and he has stripped out the ones that hold the front of the tank cover on.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just use an allen wrench and your probably gonna take a while since its only about 1/4 per turn!
Air wrench for the allen bolts?!?! OMG, check all your bolts man.

·
Registered
419 Posts
you could get an allen socket thats what I did. work it slow so ya dont round it out anymore cause I would imagine youd have to pull the shock out to get to it to drill it out. for the other stripped bolts go to your nearest tool/parts store and pick up a bolt extractor.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the same issue. I had to put the footpegs up on jack stands. (Put it up on a rear stand, then let it down on to two jack stands under the foot pegs). This suspends the rear tire off the ground with no load on it. A rear stand would still have load on the suspension.

After getting the pegs on jack stands, I removed the dogbones for the swingarm, (the same way you would lower a bike with lowered dogbones,) I think I had to remove the right side bodywork to get to the dogbone bolts.

Once you do this the rear tire will fall to the ground with no spring load. Then I removed the shock mounts and pivoted it out of the way. After all that crud I finally had access to the center bolt for the hugger.

It was a pain in the rear, but I feel it's the right way to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts