Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Headlights fail. ‘04

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lunatic.wp.1 
#1 ·
Hi
2004 Lights have never glitched or anything to indicate its on the way out or anything but now, the headlights don't light up. if I hit the push to pass then it works, if I hit the light slider to activate high beam and press the flash, both light up but if I let go then it goes off. So I have no riding light in front. I've swoped the bulbs around, even swoped the plugs around, checked fuses, seem ok. Short of taking it to an auto electrician, what else could I try to test with my very limited skills.
Where are the relays for the lights situated? it was just by luck I came across the fuses and the diagram on the lid is still visible..

#2 ·
Don't know if the bike has been out in the weather much. But switches can get corroded and not make proper contact, especially after 18 years. Since the lights actually work in some instances, it could just be the switch. I've never had one apart, so I can't say what they are like inside. Might be worth a look to see if anything can be cleaned up.

#6 ·
Thanx so much. Really appreciated the comments. Problem was traced back to the start switch on the right thumb. I was getting no power on the white at the relays. Contacts in that unit was worn out and corroded from age I guess. cleaned it out, McGyvered the thing abit, lightly with nylon brush and the contact cleaner..etc etc.. Lights are 100's again and so is switch. waterproofed it again aswell. good to go for another 10 years.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.