Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This will be a long post, but I just want to give all the information if someone could give me an idea, so please bear with me.

I have experienced the following really weird problem - long story short - the Healtech GIPro DS-Series gear indicator I installed is messing up my Bazzaz quickshifter operation.

Some time ago I installed the full Bazzaz ZFI-TC unit along with a Healtech GIPro DS-Series Gear indicator on my 08 CBR1000RR.

At the time of install I wired everything, put the bike back together and it started and was running perfectly fine. The gear indicator however, did not work, it only showed "-"or "F" so I figured it needs to be recalibrated, but at the time I could not find a manual and the reset procudure, so just left it as is. I rode the bike for a while and the Bazzaz unit was working perfectly, including the quichshifter and traction control.

A little background - my bike is track only and I have removed pretty much everything street related including:
  • Exhaust servo - replaced by servo buddy
  • Kickstand - connector shorted as if in the upper position
  • stock O2 sensor - replaced by O2 eliminator
  • Left handlebar buttons, including the clutch switch - and I had the clutch pins shorted in the harness plug so the ECU thinks the clutch is pulled in - did this in order to be able to start the bike even in gear, not only in Neutral.

Finally I was able to find the proper reset/calibration procedure for the GIPro, which involves switching the keyswitch on/off several times in a row so the gear indicator goes into Learning mode. After which you start the bike and run it on a rear stand through all the gears, holding the RPM steady so the indicator calibrates each gear ratio. After several attempts I still couldnt get it to show the proper gear and thought the used unit I had was defective, before I read somewhere that the clutch needs to be released so it could read the gear. When the clutch is pulled in it is expecting a gear change therefore does not read anything. I removed the jumper wire from the clutch sensor pins and the gear indicator started working finally. All this was done on the rear stand.

Here comes the problem - next time I brought my bike to the track it started and ran fine, but the quickshifter was not working at all. Furthermore, even shifting with the clutch, the bike was cutting power as if the quickshifter was randomly initiating an ingnition cut for a gearchange, when there was none. I tried checking the Bazzaz diagnostics with the laptop and everything seemed fine - TPS was reading correctly, RPM and Proper gear were read correctly on a rear stand by the Bazzaz unit. Still when riding the QS was misbehaving. Furthermore, the gear indicator, while it appeared to work properly, would randomly hang on a certain gear, or showed the wrong gear altogheter until I shut the bike off and on again.

Since the only change I had made was recalibrating the gear indicator and removing the clutch sensor jumper - I unplugged the gear indicator from the DLC connector and the Bazzaz quickshifter started working perfectly again. The bazzaz unit was also working fine even with the clutch jumper, prior to recalibrating the GIPro.

Here comes my confusion - the Bazzaz QS uses RPM data spliced from the crankshaft position sensor and Speed data spliced from the speed connector above the gearbox. The GIPro reads RPM, Speed and clutch position from the K-Line directly off the ECU from the DLC connector. Even if it was faulty, I find it hard to understand how it would mess with the QS operation? Furthermore, with the gearindicator connected, the Bazzaz diagnostics shows all signals read correctly, but the QS does not work.

This post came out longer than expected, but just wanted to give the full picture. Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem, or an idea of what may be going on?

Any feedback will be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing? I've seen a few people here quite knowledgable in ECU flashing, someone was even making their own datalogger off the K-Line channel from the ECU.

Interested to hear any opinion really.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I found the problem ... and it had nothing to do with the gear indicator.

Its been bugging me the last few days how is it at all possible reading off the data connector could mess up the QS operation and the only thing that came to mind is if the Bazzaz unit was losing any of its signal readings sporadically, so I wanted to do some more testing.

Switched the bike on, the Bazzaz unit lit up and the moment I touched the 12V power supply line for the unit it switched off and then back on. So what was happening - the splice connector I had used to tap into the switched 12V wire (off the tailight connector) was losing contact randomly. Guess whats right next to the tailight connector - the DLC one. So when I fiddled with ti to unplug the gear indicator, it shifted the spliced connection so it got power and the problem dissapeared.

As embarasing it may be, turns out I had used improper gauge splice connector (for a thicker wire) so it did not cut through the insulation good enough. The 3 places the Bazzaz splices into the wiring harness are - 12V switched power, Neutral and Speed signals. So it very well may have been losing any of the N or Speed signals which messed with the QS. Since I did check those wires as well, I may have moved them so they got proper connection for the time being. Had I not found this it would have happened again for sure.

So lesson learned to check the simple and obvious things first when faced with wiring problems and will be replacing those splice connectors with properly spliced and soldered spade connectors.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Glad you found it. Splice connectors are crap, I've seen lots of issues caused by their use over the years.

·
SuperMod
722 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings. It's always a PITA to figure out these electrical issues and your write will probably help someone else troubleshoot.

I'm a big fan of wiggling wires and moving things around while troubleshooting. many times the loose/bad connection will act up and you can narrow down on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts