Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone....after I installed my fender eliminator kit and removed all the bulky garb, it all looks so much sleeker...except for that heat shield!! Without the gold cover, it has holes and places for spring clips, therefore looking gaudy in the open. I'm sure without it, the undertail would fry and possibly have some warping or melting of plastic. I went to the local car custom shop today and bought a section of insulation. It's made by ThermoTec....it's used by different racing circuits and even NASCAR. Of course it has the foil looking side, but the back is almost like kevlar. Really thin!!! It also deflects heat up to 2000 degrees...so it would be even more cool ontp than the factory heat shield!! I bought some 3M adhesive spray to attach it to the under section of the cowl. The particular product I bought is a starter heat shield, but can be used anywhere. If interested goto: www.thermotec.com or call 1-800-274-8437 :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still haven't got the pic posting down yet.....got to the website and it has a pic...actually they have adhesive backed heat barrier. WhatI have is a piece about 2' long and about 8" wide....flexible and able to be formed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Please let us know what's involved in order to remove the stock heat shield. When I looked at it, it looked like you needed to remove the slip-on portion of the exhaust entirely and unbolt the heat shield from the exhaust piping itself. (???)

·
Registered
202 Posts
LtcOliverNorth said:
Please let us know what's involved in order to remove the stock heat shield. When I looked at it, it looked like you needed to remove the slip-on portion of the exhaust entirely and unbolt the heat shield from the exhaust piping itself. (???)
just got my slip on today, the heat shild is removed after the exhaust
system, but it says that extensive testing hasnt been proved long term, so in order to keep the heat from damaging the plastics, you must retain the heat shield. my question is this, if thermal foil is added to underside of tail section, opposite the slip on, or heat tape wrapped around the exhaust, would this prevent damage to plastics?for those of you who have replaced the slip on end, did you have to cut the plastics and keep the heat shield?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cbr1k said:
LtcOliverNorth said:
just got my slip on today, the heat shild is removed after the exhaust
system, but it says that extensive testing hasnt been proved long term, so in order to keep the heat from damaging the plastics, you must retain the heat shield. my question is this, if thermal foil is added to underside of tail section, opposite the slip on, or heat tape wrapped around the exhaust, would this prevent damage to plastics?for those of you who have replaced the slip on end, did you have to cut the plastics and keep the heat shield?

I removed the heat shield a few weeks back...I placed heat tape (several layers) and just below the passenger seat/trunk area, I placed tape and a heat resistant fabric ( up to 2000 degrees. It was rather warm here Sat. and I rode it hard all day. I checked at each stop and it was no warmer than with the shield. The pic shows it, but once the pipe is up, you can't even see the tape.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LtcOliverNorth said:
I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the fabric, but from your experience so far, do you think that the heat tape would be enough on it's own?
I would say so...I only used the fabric under the rear seat...tape is all I used along the pipe channel...no problems there. I did use a minimum of three layers. If you have ant specialty car shops around, they would probably have the fabric....or any racing store...i.e....Summit, Jegs, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.