Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I’m Chris, I’ll be picking up my first CBR (2018 SP1) on Saturday. I come from Yamahas (still have three). I’m pretty excited for the bike, it’s my first brand new buy. I’m a bit bummed it’s not a new R1M, I’m very brand loyal, but I can’t justify the price difference and I’ve always heard good things about the CBR, so I decided to give it a shot.

🍻

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome.

Sure you'll be pleased with the SP. I nearly went the other way and considered a R1M, but decided to stick with my own brand loyalty.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris and welcome.

Sure you'll be pleased with the SP. I nearly went the other way and considered a R1M, but decided to stick with my own brand loyalty.:)
Thank you! I do love it but I’m not super crazy (yet) about the electronics. The newest bike I’ve played with is 2006, so I’ve got a lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Thank you! I do love it but I’m not super crazy (yet) about the electronics. The newest bike I’ve played with is 2006, so I’ve got a lot to learn.
Welcome aboard.

Key is to embrace Honda philosophy on the electronics, not fight it.

Took me a long while to overcome my frustration at the difference between the street electronics and the HRC setup, but once you step back, accept the few limitations and then enter the :Honda Total Control Zone" the bike becomes very very good.

The concept is to never have more power on tap than needed to accelerate forward without breaking traction.
HRC feels it is better to be at the edge of traction loss by feathering in power, rather than waiting to spin the tire the throttle back to regain traction hen apply power again.

Once you flash in the European throttle valve tables and unleash not only full throttle ability but also the meaningful discrete power delivery profiles P1,2,3,4,5 take on a whole new meaning.
Qualify, Race, Full, Mild and Rain modes :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard.

Key is to embrace Honda philosophy on the electronics, not fight it.

Took me a long while to overcome my frustration at the difference between the street electronics and the HRC setup, but once you step back, accept the few limitations and then enter the :Honda Total Control Zone" the bike becomes very very good.

The concept is to never have more power on tap than needed to accelerate forward without breaking traction.
HRC feels it is better to be at the edge of traction loss by feathering in power, rather than waiting to spin the tire the throttle back to regain traction hen apply power again.

Once you flash in the European throttle valve tables and unleash not only full throttle ability but also the meaningful discrete power delivery profiles P1,2,3,4,5 take on a whole new meaning.
Qualify, Race, Full, Mild and Rain modes :)
I don’t dislike it all. I knew it was more options than what I needed before I bought the bike and now that I have it in front of me I’m realizing there’s a lot of potential there that will take me a long time to use. I was able to get my first ride today, nothing crazy because it’s been a hot minute since I last rode and I’m paranoid about getting a proper break in. My first impression is the bike is super smooth. I had the QS turned off because I’m used to GP shift with a quick shifter and wanted to force myself to think about what I was doing, even still, that transmission is pure gold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts