Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so torn. Funding is ready to make a purchase.

I am in my late 30's and have two kids. Not sure how much time I will ride based on my schedule.

I love the VFR800 look, especially the dual head light setups. The bike has gotten great reviews but I am afraid of out growing it quickly.
However it has everything one needs to be a road or touring warrior.
My wife will ride with me very rarely.

The CBR is state of the art. I love the technology. I hate the wink lights.
Someone tell me why low beams cant come on both sides? Anyway the ergonomics are more aggressive but I am sure some helibars and new rear seats will be on the market soon.

I am so confused. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
K1

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Davedog! Is that you? (from SRNE?)

I just picked up my 1000 RR. You're more than welcome to come over and take it for a rip, you'll be glad you did. This bike is absolutely incredible, tons of power yet very managable and confidence inspiring. It is, without a doubt, the best motorcycle I have ever had.

- Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Negative. It is K1 from NY.

How comfortable is the CBR? I sat on one and found the reach better for me than the VFR but the CBR puts weight on the legs. How many miles before you need a break?

Thanks for the ride offer...but I am too far :D

cyberxen said:
Hey Davedog! Is that you? (from SRNE?)

I just picked up my 1000 RR. You're more than welcome to come over and take it for a rip, you'll be glad you did. This bike is absolutely incredible, tons of power yet very managable and confidence inspiring. It is, without a doubt, the best motorcycle I have ever had.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Karaya One said:
I am so torn. Funding is ready to make a purchase.

I am in my late 30's and have two kids. Not sure how much time I will ride based on my schedule.

I love the VFR800 look, especially the dual head light setups. The bike has gotten great reviews but I am afraid of out growing it quickly.
However it has everything one needs to be a road or touring warrior.
My wife will ride with me very rarely.

The CBR is state of the art. I love the technology. I hate the wink lights.
Someone tell me why low beams cant come on both sides? Anyway the ergonomics are more aggressive but I am sure some helibars and new rear seats will be on the market soon.

I am so confused. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
K1
Late 30's? Your profile says 49. Sounds like an identity crisis... :D

1. You can adjust the "High Beam" light to the same level as the low beam and run them both all the time.

2. Between the two, for touring, the VFR is a much better bike. You will be able to put many more miles on it comfortably, than the CBR.

3. I'm sure there will be helibars, but the rearsets will most likely only go from stock to a higher and farther back position.

4. As far as how many miles till you need a break, that depends on your riding style and probably your height/weight. I've found I can go pretty much the same distance as on any even less aggressive performance bike.

They are both great in their own right, you just have to be honest with yourself on what kind of riding you will be doing to justify whether you need a performance bike, or a hyper-performance bike.

·
Registered
526 Posts
1:How much ride time and on what kind of bikes do you have?

2:What type of riding are you planning on doing?
If its touring, forget the RR. Its aggressive enough to be uncomfortable on anything longer than an hour (for me at least)
3: I understand and agree with the winky lights thing, but honestly, who cares? When you ride you'll never know and it can be fixed. If, and only if, you're willing to base your decision on what bike to get on that little headlight bit I think you need to reevaluate the whole wanting a bike bit, you need to do some more research.
4:pardon anything above but the first post strikes me as :squid:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL! I just noticed my age. Need to fix that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I had 3 interceptors since the 80's. Loved em all.

My "wink light" comment was more of a complaint because I feel all bikes should be more visible.

I like to drag my knee. I like the technology and I sure a $hit like speed.

Yes, the VFR and CBR are two different bikes entirely. I have sat on both but the dealer will not allow a test ride(s)

Was just looking for some feedback and or observations.

K1

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Helibars will be tough on this bike methinks. The clearance for the master cylinder resevoir is awfully close as is. Dan Kyle does stock some newer type Sato Clipons that are risers, just as the stock units are, as they rise up from the bolting position. I just ordered a set and when I get a chance to install I'll start a thread.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Personally I'd go with the 1000RR. With that kind of ride time behind you you should have no problems adjusting, just make sure you allow time to adjust properly.
I dont do many long rides and when I do I plan on taking my time so the comfort factor isnt too big of a deal. The RR is great as a daily rider but I do recommend a better seat.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'll take one of each please. I actually was looking at the VFR a year ago when I was first getting into riding. I ended up getting the 600rr and I know I made the right decision. I just got my wife on the back of my 1000rr this weekend and I really enjoyed that though she said she was scared to death and would not do it again I know whe will. You have to get the 1000rr because I said so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, your profile is like mine, in my 30's 3 kids. I am selling my 2000VFR. I was told when I bought it that I would grow out of it, the buddies I ride with ride YZF1000, Hayabusa, and FZ1. I am buying a liter class cause I need more stink and cornering performance.

All I can say is consider the crowd you will be riding with. They are both awsome bikes, just different riding styles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Vernoo said:
I am buying a liter class cause I need more stink and
cornering performance.
:lol:
Ah zo...yooza cornering sucka zo yooza gonna make up for it with tha zippy spheed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Stick with the winky light's I find it better for flashing intersection creapers and letting them know you exist. Can't do that as effectively with both lights burning.

I am mid 30's too and I plan on using my bike for both fun and touring. The position seems fine for me but then I have long legs and really appreciate the pegs getting some more ass/seat exposure. Much more comfortable than my late CBR600F4i. Just need to get a Ventura rack for it and a tank cover + bag combo.

Picked up my bike last night and have 35km's on it. Love it, so easy to ride and it starts powering from 2.5k revs upwards compared to my old 600 which had same surge at 6k revs and upwards. Much easier to deal with and the throttle is more of a thought than a twist which suits my lazy wrists just fine. Also don't suffer the bar vibrations my 600 gave at crusing revs so my wrists aren't so tired during the ride.

Seating position suits my to a T, no lower or higher on the bars or pegs. Love it (-:

Will be spending more time on it over the weekend with 1hr+ riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmmm can't say i would have ever given up my '02VFR if it wasn't for the crash

perfect ergos, although the banana seat is not great for 2-up much past 4 or 5 hours. i always thought it was a joy to ride since it has both the torque, as well as, the VTEC zip if you kept it spinning >7K

perfectly quiet stock, and nice growl with aftermarket exhaust

i don't think anyone on the street get's left behind b/c of their bike. a little sv650, for example, is just about impossible to drop in the twisties, and my buddy, who rides much better than i, zooms along with aplomb right along with the R1, gixxer, etc. liter boys.

but that black RR is ooooh so delicious! gonna cost you a bit more, in case that matters (since you can deal a VFR to ~7K) but the sex appeal is a top nod in favor of the double R.

dunno??? i'm undecided -- good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
526 Posts
You're asking on 1000RR.net, I think that says it all. Buuuuyyyyyy ooonnnneeeee............

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Gonna be a tough choice but I am leaning to the CBR. If worse comes to worse - whatever I buy I can sell one and buy the other.

Now, I just got to figure out the color. I dig the silver on black.

Cheers
K1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.