Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing "some" work on the engine on my track only bike. What do I need to change to be able to rev more without catastrophic engine failure? I can raise the rpm limiter on the ecu, that is not a problem. Don't want to learn the limits of the parts the hard way, so knowledge would be much appreciated.

·
Can't Spell
441 Posts
I don't know anyone who's done enough work to raise the powerband to the point of needing higher RPM. Did you change the cams or hog out the intake ports or something along those lines?
As for hard parts, my guess would be rods then pistons then crank. But it might be simple valve float too, not sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know anyone who's done enough work to raise the powerband to the point of needing higher RPM. Did you change the cams or hog out the intake ports or something along those lines?
As for hard parts, my guess would be rods then pistons then crank. But it might be simple valve float too, not sure.
Yeah, I'm planning to change quite a bit. Cams, porting, pistons. And I would like to know what I need to change to get to what RPM without catastrophic engine failure. What I've read here, @diel11 (IIRC) would be the one to know this.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yeah, I'm planning to change quite a bit. Cams, porting, pistons. And I would like to know what I need to change to get to what RPM without catastrophic engine failure. What I've read here, @diel11 (IIRC) would be the one to know this.
Diel11 hasn’t been on here since I first joined. Back in the golden days! Knowledge like what he had does not exist on this forum anymore. I think you will be best to go back and read some older post from him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diel11 hasn’t been on here since I first joined. Back in the golden days! Knowledge like what he had does not exist on this forum anymore. I think you will be best to go back and read some older post from him.
OK. Thanks anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
With the whitebody racebike ECU the rev limit was raised to about 13800 if I recall correctly. This required different valve springs and retainers as part of the spec build and they needed to be replaced as part of routine maintenance. Unfortunately most of the guys that purchased the race ecu never bothered to do the upgraded springs at all let alone service them so the majority of them ended up grenading the top end of the engine many of them pretty quickly. The ignition curve of the race ecu made the bikes rev like lightning and it was WAY WAY too easy to over-rev them and float a valve.

·
turbo everything!...
90 Posts
find a set of HRC valve springs, that'll let you rev over 13k....now, my question is why do you need to rev that high? these bikes will make all of the power by 11.5-12k rpm depending on cam degree setting. The power curve table tops and has little fall-off to 13K+.... not really a need to rev the engine that high just for the heck of it. And good luck finding a set of cams that's going to make power that high...be prepared to dish out $1100 for cams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts