Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have probably run 10 gallons of coolant through my bike everytine i shut it off it pisses large amounts of coolant out it seems the harder i ride the more coolant that comes out i have burped the system many times chsnged radiator cap and thermostat.

·
Classifieds Moderator
708 Posts
Did you at any point remove the bleed hose that runs from the thermostat to the radiator fill cap? Inspect this hose for kinks and make sure it's not obstructed. There is a sharp bend right before it plugs into the radiator cap and if that hose is obstructed, it's difficult for air to bleed out of the system.

Also, with the bike on the kickstand, does the coolant reserve tank level fall between the 2 lines?

·
Classifieds Moderator
708 Posts
What is the opening pressure of your radiator cap? The radiator cap opening pressure regulates when the coolant is allowed to flow into the overflow tank. If fluid is leaking from the overflow tank, it means either:

1. Radiator cap is opening at too low pressure
2. Coolant pressure is too high

When you replace the radiator cap, did you replace one with the same opening pressure as OEM? What are you running for coolant? Distilled water boils at 212 and will build up pressure sooner than antifreeze.

·
Classifieds Moderator
708 Posts
If the water pump is bad would that make pressure biild what if i remove thermostat
The water pump cannot add pressure to the system. The source of pressure build up is vapor pressure from the liquid as it heats up.

Now this may be bad news, but if you have a blown head gasket it could allow combustion gases to enter the cooling system and cause the overflow issue. You did mention the issue is worse when you ride the bike hard. Maybe that's why!

·
SuperMod
769 Posts
Could this be a bad thermostat?
what does your engine temperature say? Is it within the normal range?
You said you've changed it already so less likely that it's the issue.

Did you install the thermostan correctly? I think it could go in either way but you have to make sure the bleed hole points out. my manual says make sure the bleed hole points out so I assume it could be put in backwards.

Bad fan / temp sensor? maybe the fans are not coming on if they need to and engine overheats?

How about any of the other coolant hoses in the system? any of them kinked or pinched?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What happens if you just leave it, does it stop after some time, does the bike overheat? Reason I am asking, mine did the same for a bit and then I realised that the reservoir was overfilled. The Blade has a really "low" level on the reservoir, compared to my R1 for example. So I overfilled it a bit.

If not, chances are the head gasket is leaking. But that would only be the case if there are some mods or something. Thermostats and radiator caps on bikes tend not to go bad, just my experience - especially not on a 2017 bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts