Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share a few pictures of my HID/projector retrofit that I threw in the CBR over the weekend. I was able to keep the factory reflectors and along with the "Mini Gatling Gun" shrouds I think it looks really good. I will say the retrofit was anything but esay I had to cut the factory reflectors and make custom brackets using the factory adjuster mounts. Also decided to ditch the mirrors while I was at it since I had to take them off anyway, block off plates are on the way. I got the kit from theretrofitsource.com, kit includes the following:
Motorcycle: Stage II Dual
Bi-xenon Projectors
2 x Morimoto Mini H1 LHD (7.0) $120.00
Slim Ballasts
2 x 35W: Morimoto XB35 Computer $70.00
Ballast Igniters (Required)
2 x Morimoto XB Igniter (AMP) $30.00
H1 HID Bulbs
2 x H1: XB 5500K $25.00
Shroud Style (Preference)
2 x Mini Gatling Gun $0.00
Wire Harness
1 x H7: Dual Output MotoCycle $25.00

I also decided to go with a red "demon eye" effect that was also a custom design. TRS offers demon eye kits but this was a lot cheaper and I installed this same kit on my 636 years ago and it worked out great so I figured I'd go the same route on the 1000

·
Flying Fossil
199 Posts
Great job! and looks really good. I pussied out and put Xenon bulbs in the OEM housing. I did, however, rotate the bulb on the high beam side 45 degrees and then adjusted the beam down in line with the low beam side. I can run with the high beam on all the time without blinding on coming traffic and the illumination is excellent. It doesn't look as cool as your job but better looking than the yellowish OEM lights and I worked around that one headlight on deal I hated. Plus I don't hear about one of my headlights being burned out anymore.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just curious... why go with HID over LED? Light output?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with HIDs because I had this same kit on my old bike and loved it plus I'm not all that knowledgeable on the LEDs available I would think HIDs would have better light output but I could be wrong

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do you have a delay on your ballast or does it fire up as soon as you turn the key/kill switch?

If the latter, do you notice any excess draw when starting the bike?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a 10 sec delay programmed into the kit, it's designed to give you time to start the bike and let it idle before kicking the bulbs on. I have not noticed any excessive draw from the HIDs even if I let them turn on before I start the bike.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Very Nice. I got mine done as well a few months back. My kit comes with demon, halo and low high beam but it also has a separate low beam switch so I keep in on demon and halo during the day which is bright enough.

You lights look very nice with orange demons.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very Nice. I got mine done as well a few months back. My kit comes with demon, halo and low high beam but it also has a separate low beam switch so I keep in on demon and halo during the day which is bright enough.

You lights look very nice with orange demons.

Which kit did you use? Did you have to cut anything in the stock housing/wires to making things work?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Motorcycle01. No I did not have to cut anything. I just removed the inner reflectors after separating the lens and then installed the HIDs that came with my purchase the kit I bought was from KTmotorcycle.com. The HID came installed on a custom plate and you just have to fit it into the body of the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm actually getting ready to start this same exact retrofit on my 09 tomorrow. I trimmed the shrouds down yesterday. Just curious, why did you have to cut the factory reflectors? Will the lens on the projectors hit the headlight housing if not?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an off question...

What tree stand are you using? The one I have that was for my 08 600rr doesn't seem to fit in the 1k.

Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got them in! Talk about a pain in the ass. Once I finish all the tucking I'm going to write up a thread on it. I took a ton of pictures throughout the process

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
sorry for the late response but no you didn't have to cut anything. the inner reflectors come out when you remove the screws. You sepearte the lens first. Looks like you got it done so post the pictures. I chose not to install the strip light because too many wires to take care of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sorry for the late response but no you didn't have to cut anything. the inner reflectors come out when you remove the screws. You sepearte the lens first. Looks like you got it done so post the pictures. I chose not to install the strip light because too many wires to take care of.
Thanks for the reply dude here's a few pictures. I'm tossing them in the bike tomorrow.

What'd you do with the 9006 connections that come off the block off plates on the projectors? The harness and our bikes have no connection for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
I put them in a spare box and they are somewhere in the garage. You did an excellent work on the headlights and you will like it. I am getting ready to do my Nissan Frontier, now that I have read a few post on that forum and Frontier headlights are very bad and my old eyes can see as good as they used to LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts