Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hit intentionally in traffic. Lady got away. Got her plate. But broke clutch lever and couldn’t go after her myself. Since then I’ve noticed that the front fender is way out on the wheel it doesn’t ride terribly but I know somethings got to be out of square and or alignment. Took the wheel off Checked brakes, calipers ,rotors ,axle n wheel. for what I believe to be ok. So where would you recommend I start to try to find this problem I’ve good success wrenching in the past. Just
Finding the problem I’d the issue. I’ll need to do something with clutch and Stat cover. As well as fairings are now cracked. Aesthetically disappointing. But need to get Ergonomically sound first. TIA for any answers and opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have a front stand that lifts from under the triple, with a pin, rather than one that goes under the fork bottoms? It'd be a good start to get all of the weight off of the forks and then take the wheel, axle and front fender off again. Sometimes, that'll allow things to settle back into the proper position. It'll also help to determine if something is really tweaked. With no weight on the forks, and the wheel and axle off, you'll be able to see if the forks are bent.

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
The forks are likely not bent. What I can almost guarantee is that they are twisted slightly in the triple clamps. A front stand that lifts via a pin under the headstock is what you need. Lift the bike and then loosen the lower triple clamp bolts and axle pinch bolts. Then stand in front of the bike with the wheel between your legs and twist the handlebars back and forth a bit. The forks will settle back to straight and you can re-tighten everything. This is very common when a bike is dropped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input. I will get to a buddies and borrow his swivel stand today and I’ll let you know if I can get it lined out I seen a video on a r6 that I believe was the same thing as you explain. I don’t believe anything will be bent but hard to tell. Does a knock that is likely to tweak the triple correlate to the possible loss of food from seals. They haven’t been leaking but I’m worried about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another method is the bounce method.

Loosen everything from the bottom up to the lower triple (axle, axle pinch bolts, caliber mounting bolts, front fender bolts, and lower triple bolts). The heads of all the bolts should be off their mating surface. Don't loosen the upper triple clamp bolts or the handlbar bolts.

Take two pieces of cardboard about 6" by 6", put one on top of the other, and place both under the front tire and then set the front back down placing the tire on the stack of two pieces of cardboard.

Put your hands on the triple nut and shove down hard a few times. This helps align the forks between the upper triple and the lower triple. The cardboard pieces allow the tire to track left or right freely while the forks align.

Then without lifting the front end or moving anything, carefully tighten the lower triple clamp bolts. With those clampled, now you can raise the front with your stand and tighten everything else.

Something that seems obvious but I should mention is that you should never use a front stand without using a rear stand first.

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Thank you for your input. I will get to a buddies and borrow his swivel stand today and I’ll let you know if I can get it lined out I seen a video on a r6 that I believe was the same thing as you explain. I don’t believe anything will be bent but hard to tell. Does a knock that is likely to tweak the triple correlate to the possible loss of food from seals. They haven’t been leaking but I’m worried about it.

This out of alignment condition should not cause any fluid loss at the seals. If they were fine before they should still be okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts