Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After getting a stone the size of a peanut stuck between to fins on my radiator, I decided to get myself a radiator guard. I phoned a couple of places and holy shmoly, cheapest I got was $90, add customs and postage to that and it becomes $100.

This was just CRAZY!! $100 for a piece of mesh? NO WAY. So I decided to try and do it myself.

Firstly let me start off by saying that this will be my first attempt at a how to post, so if there are any spelling or grammar issues, please don't shoot me.

Secondly, I will not be held responsible for you damaging your radiator if you don't know what you're doing. I would say the difficulty level of this project is about a 5/10 for someone who is hands on, and mechanically inclined.

Any measurements are in mm, and not inches, as I am from South Africa, and we use the metric system.

The project took me about 3 hours from start to finish. Here is a list of products you may need.

1. Mesh: You can get this from your local motor parts/accessories store, it usually comes in lengths of +/-1200mmx340mm. I bought red anodised aluminium mesh, although it's not as tough as steel, it's easy to work with, and does the job, better than nothing at all. It only cost about $20, plus you can get three guards out of one sheet, so you have spare. You can use steel if you wish, but that would be a bit more difficult.

2. Cardboard
3. Ruler & Pencil
4. Masking tape
4. Foam rubber weather strip ONE side sticky
5. Tin snip to cut the mesh

6. 4 x cable ties
6. Alan keys and screw driver (to remove the fairings)

Ok, here we go.

First remove both fairings. They are a couple of threads that show/tell how to do this, so I won't do this step.

Then take a piece of cardboard, and measure out the radiator. Cut it out, then place it where you want it to make sure it fits. Double check that it fits 100%, because this is your "jig". Then check again!!

Then put the cardboard on the mesh and stick it down with some masking tape, making sure the "diamonds" run across, and not up!!

Now use the tin snip and cut out mesh to size.

Now you have your radiator guard. Go see if it fits, if it doesn't just cut it till it fits snugly. It will bend easily, MAKE SURE NOT TO BEND THE EDGES, AS IT COULD DAMAGE THE RADIATOR FINS!!

Next step is to get some foam weather strip with only ONE side being sticky.

Stick it on all four edges of the mesh. Then turn it around, and stick the other side aswell so it looks like this.

The two foam strips will stick together through the holes in the mesh. YOU MUST DO THIS STEP OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE RADIATOR, AND IT WILL MAKE AN NOISE WHILE RIDING.

Now go check if it still fits. If you are happy you can move onto the next step.

Take four cable ties and pull it through all four corners of the radiator. MAKE SURE TO PULL IT THROUGH THE IN THE FAR MOST CORNERS OF THE RADIATOR, DO NOT PUSH IT THOUGH THE FINS!!

Put the guard in place, and cable tie it down.

That's it.

Now all you have to do is put the fairings back.

And we're done. Thanks for looking, and hope I helped someone today.

I would love to hear your comments, good or bad.

cheers

Reactions: jadkins918

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
so mass produce em and sell em for less! Thanks for the heads up I was also debating buying one and they were pricey.
That Red/Pink looks cool haha

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I'd rather stick to doing stuf for myself, besides, it's easy to do it yourself.
The photos are crap so the mesh almost looks pink, but outside is't more red.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I made mine with aluminum mesh from Homedepot. I went to the parts store and bought some black door trim for a few bucks. It comes with a very sticky glue already applied. I used that to border the mesh. It has been used on my last 3 bikes, including the 2012. Several friends have had me make them one. So far, I am still under $100, and have yet to have any issues.

Good write-up OP!!

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info! Thanks for the good idea...I think I might give this a go on the weekend :D
Nice, post a pic so we can see the end result!

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made mine with aluminum mesh from Homedepot. I went to the parts store and bought some black door trim for a few bucks. It comes with a very sticky glue already applied. I used that to border the mesh. It has been used on my last 3 bikes, including the 2012. Several friends have had me make them one. So far, I am still under $100, and have yet to have any issues.

Good write-up OP!!

Sounds exactly like what I did here. I also used the black door trim, but we call it a weatherstrip here. And my mates already want me to help them make some, don't know if this was such a good idea, I can see the next couple of weekends are gonna be busy.

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell you that I did this last Saturday 'cause I needed it for the track day I did the Sunday. Although it wasn't too hot, I still rode the bike hard all day, and she didn't run any hotter than normal.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
My 06 has a thick plastic mesh guard from the factory that protects the bottom half of the radiator . I wonder why Honda decided to scrap it on the 08 and up models??

·
Banned
109 Posts
I have been doing this to my race bikes for years with absolutely no temp issues.

The only thing to look for long term is a build up of debris (tire rubber from the track if doing trackdays) being caught between the guard and the front of the radiator especially near the sides of the radiator.

If I were a long distance street rider, I would never go on a trip without using one of these, it could save you from having a major headache.

Nice job, looks professionally done

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Made my own from some metal screening I got from the local hardware store. No temp issues or rattling to speak of. :thumbsup:

Note: this is before I sprayed it with black paint.

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, it's great to get some other ideas.
Funny how easy it is save some cash if you just think about it for a while.
It really makes one think how much the manufacturers actually make if you look at what they're charging us for these radiator guards, CRAZY! I wonder how they are ripping us off for other mods.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
What section of home depot did you find that stuff? I was there today and couldn't find it :(
I bought a 15 dollar roll of it at Lowes for a different project. It was in the section that has stuff for roofing..... Maybe it's in the same section at Home Depot ?

Sent from my M886 using Motorcycle.com App

·
thread killer
342 Posts
I got mine in stainless steel mesh, maybe 3/16 openings, from the stock car performance shop. I made the template first and they cut it for me. Runs at 173 F before and after install.

·
Live to ride!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go to a aftermarket performance motor parts accessories shop. They use this stuff in customizing when they make aftermarket bumpers and grilles, they would probably call it 'Grill Mesh'

·
In the Breeze
670 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys, it's great to get some other ideas.
Funny how easy it is save some cash if you just think about it for a while.
It really makes one think how much the manufacturers actually make if you look at what they're charging us for these radiator guards, CRAZY! I wonder how they are ripping us off for other mods.
When you buy a product, there's more expense in it than just the materials.
If you had to also maintain a building and manufacturing equipment, inventory, administrative personnel and infrastructure, union workers and manual laborers, meeting gov't standards and regs, producing a consistent quality product, and paying taxes and benefits while still turning a profit, you'd wonder how they ever sell something for so cheap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts