Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have owned my 07 CBR 1k for a few months now and have been disappointed in it compared to the other bikes I've ridden, R1, ZX10, Ducati, Etc.
Someone in another thread described it really well, the bike is like a Can opener. It does its job exactly as it should, no fuss or extra excitement, it just works, every time.

The bike has an erion racing exhaust, a PC3 or 5 (can't recall) and it is so smooth and quiet I literally forget I'm not on a CBR500.. Throttle response is smooth, transition to engine braking on throttle cut is butter, no pops, no loud exhaust. My R1 felt like that bike was trying to kill me everytime I rode it, loud, vibrated like crazy, loved to pull the front wheel up, really made me feel like I was riding a liter bike. Same with the ZX10.

I've never owned a bike with a PC, I'm curious if maybe this is something I can use to change the feel of the bike? I'd love more noise, some pops, and more aggressive engine braking off throttle. I'm curious to hear the forums thoughts on how I can change my bike to make it more like what I want and stop me from selling it in a few months.
I think my goal is to make the bike objectively worse, but more fun for me.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2007 1000RR with a PC3, Yoshimura R5 slip-on, it's a daily commuter. To address some of your questions:

1) The PC3/5 can be changed via different fuel maps, as well as the low/medium/high range adjustments via the buttons on the module face.
2) Engine braking via deceleration is largely controlled by valve timing, it's not really something you can change with the fuel system
3) You could lean out the fuel LOW range button on PC, which would induce popping during deceleration, but you're also leaning out the LOW range during acceleration.

I bought my RR used in 2011, and now have nearly 90,000 miles (yup), I like that fact that it starts with out fuss, accelerates when I need it to, gets decent mileage (40mpg), and doesn't try to kill me on a minute by minute basis. If that's what you "need/want", probably need to go back to an R1. =)
Sounds like we've got a fairly similar setup then! Finding exhaust videos that are decent for this gen bikes seems to be hard.. How is the R5 slip on? This erion racing exhaust feels super quiet to me from my other bikes. 90,000 is incredibly impressive, I sold my R1 at 46k and man was that a mistake.... Did you setup your PC3 yourself or got a fuel map from somewhere for your bike?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not educated in the slightest with PCs...but I'm trying to wrap my head around what I'm translating as an 07 CBR1K that doesnt want to pull the front end up like a ZX-10 or R1..? Is that the case? I had an '06...which is the same bike...and it would power wheelie in 3rd under the right conditions...1st gear was as simple as opening the throttle enough. Front end came up real quick.

With that said, as I've learned over the years, a bike that is LESS prone to lifting the front end is a better bike, considering what these bikes are designed to do - win races. In any case, if your bike is NOT lifting the front end in 1st and 2nd gear easily then you could be dealing with some issues...others would have to chime in, though.

Shaun
Right, I've not had this bike on a dyno, but my R1 made 135rwhp and the ZX10 made ~180rwhp and both would pull the bike up easily in 1st and 2nd. This CBR definitely can in first, but 2nd and 3rd are very tame. Maybe I'm just used to a different torque curve? Maybe I need to go get this bike dyno'd as well. I agree on the electronics, not really for me. That was the downfall of the ZX10 for me, it felt like I was riding a supercomputer, which is how I ended up on this CBR, looking for an analog bike :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good feedback in here! Not much going on with the bike since its very winter at the moment here, but I ended up replacing the front end of the bike (forks/trees/bearings/axle) because I felt like it was tweaked a bit, and it totally rides like a different bike now. Only rode it for ~20 minutes since it was freezing out but the front end felt lighter and the bike way more agile. It still sounds worse than my Yamaha but maybe I can fix that in the spring.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 06 has a PC3 and is dyno tuned, geared +1 -1 and has an enormous wide torque curve. Keeps up with just about every new bike on the track and will wheelie like a bitch in 3 gears if you wack it wrong. For sale by the way.
Haha yea I had seen your listing, I'm already pretty committed to this bike for the time being. Do you have any videos showing off the sound of that full akra exhaust?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What year was your Yammi? If you had an ‘09 or newer, the CBR will probably never sound as good to your ears. That is also subjective, but it’s hard to beat the sound of a cross plane.

With that said, I know most will suggest Yoshi and Akro for exhaust, but I personally had an M4 on my ‘06 which sounded amazing (and won’t break the bank), and I’ve heard an ‘07 with a full Arrow exhaust which was incredible. Food for thought.

Shaun
It was a 1999 carb'd R1, the crossplane crank noise never did it for me. If you have any good sound bites of your bike, please share them :D It seems good exhaust note videos for this gen were scarce..

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just get a Rapid Bike Evo Racing it does fuel and ignition timing and engine braking all in one. Look how much timing it adds to a 06. Plenty of oomph. Or just get a dynojet ignition advancer cheaper no flash needed. I would contact Dynojet and see which maps they have available with ignition timing advance in them. BTW removing pairs reduces engine backfire ie pop. My 2cents.
View attachment 266885
All good advice and interesting to see... but what really got me was your name and profile pic lol. got any more pictures of the VFR? It looks awesome.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Found what is apparently the only video I ever recorded of that bike with the M4:

Hopefully you can see it. Nothing special, no revs, just a startup and some idling, but if you have good speakers you can hear how it sounds. Hopefully that helps a little.

Shaun
Sounds very similar to my Erion racing system, maybe a bit deeper. love the red fairings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts