Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a nice inexpensive 08 CBR1000rr, to ride some. I've been away from bikes for 10 years. The last street bikes I owned were an 04 ZX10R and an 05 GSXR1000.
I've owned 25+ bikes. Ive ringed 2 strokes but never had any real mechanical issues. Now I read that my 08 1000RR will probably blow up because of the crank, so I'm very excited.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Now I read that my 08 1000RR will probably blow up because of the crank, so I'm very excited.
How many miles on it?
Mine has almost 54.000 miles on it, without an issue. The units that had problems usually had the issue manifest itself with low milleage.
Chances are, being an 08, if the crank didn't blew up by now, it won't blow up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on it?
Mine has almost 54.000 miles on it, without an issue. The units that had problems usually had the issue manifest itself with low milleage.
Chances are, being an 08, if the crank didn't blew up by now, it won't blow up.

Hey buddy,

Thanks for the reply. I had to post in this area to post elsewhere, so my words were really just arbitrary.

It has 12,000 miles and two owners before. I know the last guy, who rode it a total of 300 miles, and he bought it from a friend. It was 100% stock with tires from 2011. No wear on the edge of the tires, but man are they slick! I think it's been ridden pretty easy, which may not be good in this case! LOL.

I really can't tell if it has a whine or not. I don't think it has anymore noise than my 2004 ZX10R had. I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read about it. Also, I added a Scorpion half pipe and the sound seems more noticeable now, so maybe I'm hearing the pipe. I listened to my before (stock pipe) video and I don't hear much whine or whirl sound. I guess I need more information on diagnosis. Any information is appreciated.

It was on it's side at one point, because it has a scuff on the stator cover, and a cracked front and side fairing. Still, it's super clean. I ordered 2 news fairing sets, tires and a stator cover. I took the rear tire off last night and put the pipe on last week. I plan to make it perfect. I paid $3,700 for the bike so I feel pretty good about it.

I'm super excited to have a bike again.

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
I've heard of oil use issues, never heard about a crank issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, more of an oil burning issue than crank. My engine ran like a dream for years, and only went out because #1 connecting rod cap failed, which is very rare. Check the oil level regularly for a few months, and enjoy her!

·
I'm not dead yet.
2,911 Posts
80k going strong

My 08 has over 80k miles. Street and track. Two fairly spectacular wipe outs. Still badass as ever. I decided to let a pro look it over (Gabe at Custom Performance in Fredricksburg, VA) and all he's found so far is a stretched oil pump chain, burnt spark plugs, and a work cam chain tensioner. I told him to also replace the clutch plates while he was in there doing the oil pump chain. All in all, fantastic health for a bike this old that has such a bad reputation. I plan on flogging it another 80k.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 08 has over 80k miles. Street and track. Two fairly spectacular wipe outs. Still badass as ever. I decided to let a pro look it over (Gabe at Custom Performance in Fredricksburg, VA) and all he's found so far is a stretched oil pump chain, burnt spark plugs, and a work cam chain tensioner. I told him to also replace the clutch plates while he was in there doing the oil pump chain. All in all, fantastic health for a bike this old that has such a bad reputation. I plan on flogging it another 80k.
I am the owner of the blade 08 with 16 500 miles. And what are the symptoms if there are problems with oil pump chain?

·
Superbike Squid Bro
501 Posts
I just bought an 08 with 12000 miles that was downed slightly, but paid 5K and I thought that was a good deal but your deal is killer :thumbsup:

My 08 does have that weird high pitched noise caused by deformed crankshaft primary drive gear teeth. I plan to whoop it unmercifully next year so we'll see what happens :laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you guys for the posts. It's nice to hear about some high mileage 08's! I think that I got a really good deal on my bike. I was going to post a picture, but I can't unless I have a link...

I rode it home on a cold day and it would boil the rear tire when I snapped the throttle 1/2 open at 60MPH. It also slid sideways a few times. I got it out on a warmer day and the tire still felt like it was covered in grease. It looked pretty worn but not THAT bad.

The rear Pirelli Diablo was dated 2011. I pulled it off 2 days ago and it felt thin and flimsy. I need to get my new Bridgestones on, but I dread the labor. :grin2:

I can't wait to ride it with some traction.New Tires always make a bike feel great but taking these old tires off should make a huge difference!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For sure the newer hypersport tires will stick even in the cold and even without much if any warmup time. If they are Pirelli Diablo Supersport tires thats like riding on grease like you said
I couldn't believe how slick those tires were, even on a day with temperatures around 60. Ive been away from bikes for years but Ive ran Diablos some. I remember rubber rolling of the edges, but I mainly stuck to dirt bikes in colder weather. The guy that sold the bike came off of an R6. He said that the 1000RR was just to much for him. I think the excessive spinning may have scared him and got me a good deal.

The bike went sideways when I pulled out of his driveway and barely rolled on the throttle. I rode 10 miles to get home and blasted the throttle a few times when it started to spin, to get some heat in the tire. I was surprised that it spun at fairly low rpms. Oddly, the tire felt cold when I got home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You started spinning at 60 degrees Fahrenheit on diablos cold start? That tire must have been aged to perfection haha!
The tire date was 2011. I gassed it as I topped a hill, thinking the front tire would rise. Instead, I spun the tire over the hill! Admittedly, the tire looked worn, but it was sliding like no bike I've seen. I put a supercharger on a Corvette and ran 10.5 PSI. The loss of traction on that bike reminded me of the car. Once it broke loose, it was all over.

Also, it seemed unusually easy to get the tire off of the rim. It felt thin and flimsy. If I had realized how weak that tire felt, I wouldn't have rode it after I got it home.

·
I'm not dead yet.
2,911 Posts
I am the owner of the blade 08 with 16 500 miles. And what are the symptoms if there are problems with oil pump chain?
None that I know of. Perhaps some noise from the right side of the bike. I was told to check it out by others when I described various noises (whines, clicking etc) that I heard. They were right, it was stretched. Still worked fine. The other noises were the cam chain tensioner and the backlash balancer on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
171 Posts
None that I know of. Perhaps some noise from the right side of the bike. I was told to check it out by others when I described various noises (whines, clicking etc) that I heard. They were right, it was stretched. Still worked fine. The other noises were the cam chain tensioner and the backlash balancer on the crankshaft.
I'm pretty sure the oil light would come on even if you check your oil and it's full due to decreased oil pressure. And also you may notice your engine temp significantly higher because lower flow of oil. These would be two big tells if I'm not mistaken.

·
I'm not dead yet.
2,911 Posts
I'm pretty sure the oil light would come on even if you check your oil and it's full due to decreased oil pressure. And also you may notice your engine temp significantly higher because lower flow of oil. These would be two big tells if I'm not mistaken.
My 08 has always seemed to run hotter than I would prefer. I can't remember ever seeing the second fan come on though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts