Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been reading these forums since Mar/April 2004. I've read about the speedometer problem and the paint problem. I was going to buy a CBR in April but they were about $10,700 to $11,000 and each dealer in my area only received one. I would have been 10th in line at the dealer back then.

Well, I saw a Red/Blk one end of April on a street and couldn't stand it any longer. I put down some cash on May 6th and was put 4th in line for the next 1KRR incoming. I paid $10,300 or 11,131.43 OTD (7.5% tax in my county). I ordered a Red/Blk one as well, but my dealer is holding a Sil/Blk one for me to do a side by side when they arrive. I've been waiting for my new 1000RR for a few weeks now. Every week my dealer (Honda of Troy/Southside Honda, Dayton OH) told me there's been some delay and it'll be next Tues or Thurs. I finally received a committed delivery date of Thur, May 20th. The deal was to be done at 10am, i.e. 30 mins ago.

Well, I kinda wish I had paid a little more and gotten on the April waiting list.

I just got off the phone with my dealer. He says, "I got some bad news." He got the call from Honda last night at 8pm. All his bikes are being held up in a Chicago wharehouse while Honda techs test and fix the speedometer issue. He started to explain it to me then I told him I read about it already on 1000rr.net. He said that too many folks are getting tickets and complaining to Honda about it.

Basically mine wont be here to sometime next week and hopefully my speedo should be certified to be correct. What sucks about this is that I told all my buds that I'd be riding new today! I'm also leading a small group of riders (Harley's included) to Mid-Ohio AMA race for Honda Supercycle weekend July 25th. I really wanted to get the break-in services done before that. I guess I got my work cut out for me. Yes, I know it's a blessing in disguise to not have to worry about the speedo when I finally get one, but who says it'll be here for sure next week either?

Oh, before my dealer hung up with me, he told me that Honda ordered all dealers NOT to sell any CBR 1000RR's in stock till they come out and fix the speedos. He said they have a gun that connects to the speedometer cable and my bike won't be ridden or have any miles on it from this fix. He went off to break the news to the other 3 guys.

I was hoping my first post would be saying how this is an awesome ride, not bringing bad news. At least Honda is not ignoring the problem.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, he didn't say. Sorry, I didn't ask about you guys who already own one. But, he did say they weren't suppose to sell any in stock. I'd take that to mean Honda is coming to the dealers immediately. Who would expect a dealer to sit on a bike for long?

(My dealer kinda hinted that had it been in stock he might have....well)

I can imagine that your dealer, Honda or both will be contacting you to come in for recall work soon.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
And so it shall be fixed... still less problems with this machine than with it's rivals (in particular YAMIE R1) Let's just hope that this is it's only and biggest error, and it let be :king: -ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
viper said:
And so it shall be fixed... still less problems with this machine than with it's rivals (in particular YAMIE R1) Let's just hope that this is it's only and biggest error, and it let be :king: -ed
i've yet to hear of ANY problems from the kawasaki camp, and they sure as hell haven't issued any recalls.

·
Registered
526 Posts
SecretAgentRR said:
viper said:
i've yet to hear of ANY problems from the kawasaki camp, and they sure as hell haven't issued any recalls.
Problems with new bikes happen as they will with the ZX-10R. Its a matter of how they deal with it that makes all the difference.
Funny thing about the 10R though...Here, they arent moving at all. Nobody wants one.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
vigis said:
SecretAgentRR said:
viper said:
Problems with new bikes happen as they will with the ZX-10R. Its a matter of how they deal with it that makes all the difference.
Funny thing about the 10R though...Here, they arent moving at all. Nobody wants one.
Same thing here, the dealers can't give them away. I've yet to see a single ZX-10 on the road. For a new bike, especially one that was hyped so much, that is very very odd. Noone wants to touch them, I wonder why...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anyone come up with the reason why these speedo's are off? Does it just magically happen overnight? is it a certain mileage thing? what causes this phenomenon? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL. seriously, my RR has yet to jump off track and is working fine, 65=4000rpm in 6th gear. :)

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
My speedo seems fine. But I'm glad I bought my bike from such a responsible company. Very refreshing and confidence inspiring (just like the bike itself).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a friend with a new ZX10R and he's had a couple problems with his already, 1st his FI light would stay on all the time and drain his battery and after that he was riding in the rain and his oil light would come on because of a short somewhere. He told me that on a ZX10 site he goes to other people are having the same problems. :?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.