Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1000RR's in my garage right now, a 2006 and a 2009. I have ridden 2006/7/8/9 1000RR's, but never back to back.

The 06 (and presumably the 07) has a kickin' motor under 6k RPM! My 08 and 09 felt like they didn't make serious power until 6-7, but the older ones make some damn nice power! The engines on the newer ones feel like they are made for the track whereas the old bikes feel closer to street bikes, at least to me. I still prefer the styling and motor of the 06/07, the only thing I prefer about the new one is the amazing handling!

Is this engine dilemma normal? I wish I could get that low end in my 09!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would have to agree. I was in the dealership today talking to the sales rep about the same thing. The butt dyno says my '06 was more torquey down low and my 08 feels like it comes on in the mid range. The 08 also has alot more engine braking than I am used to. I still haven't pushed it to the rev limit as I am still getting used to the bike.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
my '06 might have felt better under 5k, but above that, the '08 kicks its ass. all you have to do is look at the dyno graph of an '08 or '09. they make massive midrange in comparison

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will tell you that back to back on the track, the 08 outclassed my 07. On surface streets and twisties, though, I found the 07's power way more usable. The extreme power in the 08 is just asking for a death sentence if unleashed on the street.

·
Red Wingin Georgia Boy
1,116 Posts
I will tell you that back to back on the track, the 08 outclassed my 07. On surface streets and twisties, though, I found the 07's power way more usable. The extreme power in the 08 is just asking for a death sentence if unleashed on the street.
i like the sound of that. On the track i mean haha i dont like the death sentence part. But ive heard this from a few folks that have had the opportunity to ride both years on track and it only makes me more and more curious and wanting to go buy an un-needed, un-necessary bike to start my collection :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked with my dad about it (he's actually a Honda executive). He says they made the change to stop guys from getting themselves in trouble on starts. The newer bike is pretty hard to go out of control on a start, whereas slightly aggressive starts on the 06/07 can lead to losing it in a wheelie.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The extreme power in the 08 is just asking for a death sentence if unleashed on the street.
i don't see how anyone could think that! the '08 is very manageable! is your bike stock or modified?

·
Back in business
985 Posts
Just talked with my dad about it (he's actually a Honda executive). He says they made the change to stop guys from getting themselves in trouble on starts. The newer bike is pretty hard to go out of control on a start, whereas slightly aggressive starts on the 06/07 can lead to losing it in a wheelie.
Yeah I could see that. I love the low end on the 954RR personally. I wish that the 1000RR had some more of that, it makes it feel like much more of a bike on the street.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Full system filled in the dip from low end to 5500-6000, so very much linear now. Look at a dyno graph on an 08 where is shoots up and falls on its face, then clears out again, mine is smooth with full system, intake flapper and tune. Feels stronger down low now, still not 04-06 strong but once she hits 6000 all is forgotten. I love this bike.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Looks like the 08-09 is geared taller (total ratio) in the first two gears than an 06-07. Even if you were to gear the 06-07 with a 41 tooth rear sprocket (instead of the 42), the 08-09 would still be taller in the first two gears. After that, 3rd, 4th and 5th are shorter than the 06-07. I think this might be some of the reason the 08-09 feel like they have a little less bottom.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have noticed at one track (PBIR) that just about any liberbike on the track will walk away from me in the 6/10th of a mile straight.

Other than that I think it's pretty on par with my previous one...
do you have a z-bomb or irc? i had that problem before i installed the z-bomb

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 08 is dull below 5-6K, but a -1 front sprocket will fix this a bit.
I think Honda in the 08 made a great engine (apart from some like me that have serious vibrations to deal with) with a massive midrange and that is where most of spends time......
Everyone is so concerned about the low end these days that a twin might be a better choce for some......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.