Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you do this Im sure some will be offended, but I pods and riding do not mix, I ride with a group of pretty fast guys all do track days and all ride group 4 the racers group, but on the street some ride with there i pods on and there allways distracted, I have watched more than once someone allmost plow into the back of a car at a red light while searching for a song or turning it down. now theres the fact of being tuned in to your bike I wear ear plugs but can still hear what my bike is doing. for me riding is being in tune and at one with the machine. how can that be done while fiddling around with an I pod at speed. my friends it is starting to become one of the factors for more crashes just look around some of us are trying to text and ride, Ive seen it..............I love music in my truck or garage working on somthing. hanging out with your girl............. not on a sport bike........... I guess if Nicky and Dale Jr. do it Its good for all.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've kinda felt having an ipod on while riding is kinda bad, but sometimes I still do it because it's so boring. I only change songs at a stop if I have to. Sometimes I use the ipod, sometimes I don't it depends on the scenario.

·
Registered
456 Posts
yeah i witnessed a guy putting his i pod on at a track day just before venturing out in the newb group that i was in, mental note to myself get in front of this clown asap. sure enough he went down that session. the last thing you need is to be hearing something other than your bike or machine at the track:eek:wned:street as well i say but low volume i can understand:popcorn2:

·
Banned
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i witnessed a guy putting his i pod on at a track day just before venturing out in the newb group that i was in, mental note to myself get in front of this clown asap. sure enough he went down that session. the last thing you need is to be hearing something other than your bike or machine at the track:eek:wned:street as well i say but low volume i can understand:popcorn2:
And popcorn? howabout a cig. and a brew to go with that stoppie.........too Funny (^^)

·
Registered
331 Posts
i have rode a couple times with one earbud in the other to hear the above mentioned scenario (ambulance, fire truck). if you put the ipod facing up in your pocket, your posture allows for changing tracks or pausing or changing volume without looking down so i can still be aware of everything around me, i dont see any harm in this to be honest?

another note, i would not be searching for tracks, setup a playlist and let it play, if you want to skip to the next song you can do it very easily.

·
turbo-douchin' since 1980
2,408 Posts
Guys...
I ride with a Zune on constantly. I have never switched tracks though, I put it on random, and if a shitty song comes on, I deal with it... If and when I go to the track, I would never have it in, going down at 80mph sucks (I know, I've done it), but going down at 180mph can be a little less forgiving. If I'm just going through town I don't bother with it, but a lot of times I ride for hours on end. Someone already mentioned it gets boring, and it damn sure does. You can listen to music and ride and be safe. You just have to be smarter and safer than the other dumbasses out there texting and brushing their teeth while they drive haha

·
Registered
331 Posts
thats another point, blasting music so loud you cant hear and driving seems to be just fine

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I have speakers that I have installed in my helmet and use my iphone pretty much every time I ride. Dont crank the music too loud and it is just like listening to music in your car. Is all about common sense........

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Where did you get speakers installed in your helmet?? That's badass!!
I got a set of Sony headphones and cut them up. Then using industrial strength Velcro I fitted them in to the helmet. It works really well.

·
2,408 Posts
wow, that's pretty resourceful. I just wear sony earbuds with plastic loops that hook around my ears. Then when I put on my helmet they don't come off. Only problem is after about 2 hours of riding, they start to hurt a little...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Riding with an ipod in your ear is not the same as driving with the radio on. Riding requires so much more of your faculties (hearing being one of the most important), it is downright ignorant, naive and sheer idiocy to disable your auditory senses while riding. Wearing ear plugs are not the same. You are still very much able to hear things. However, to have music infiltrating your auditory senses is to replace necessary information, i.e. surrounding traffic, emergency vehicles, your own motorcycle sounds, etc. Check your local laws. Many states forbid even driving with earbuds, headphones, etc. But I guess, if you must ride with them in, natural selection usually takes its course.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Riding with an ipod in your ear is not the same as driving with the radio on. Riding requires so much more of your faculties (hearing being one of the most important), it is downright ignorant, naive and sheer idiocy to disable your auditory senses while riding. Wearing ear plugs are not the same. You are still very much able to hear things. However, to have music infiltrating your auditory senses is to replace necessary information, i.e. surrounding traffic, emergency vehicles, your own motorcycle sounds, etc. Check your local laws. Many states forbid even driving with earbuds, headphones, etc. But I guess, if you must ride with them in, natural selection usually takes its course.
I totally disagree, can you not chew gum and walk, how about rub your stomach and pat your head....I listen to music and ride every time I ride, and I can hear my bike just fine. I hear traffic, ambulances, fire trucks, and cops. You have to be sensible about it. You can't ride around with it full blast, but a reasonable level. Wind noise is very distracting to me and sometimes even makes me tired when I ride for long distances. I ride sometimes all day long 8-10 hrs. Just like others have said it gets boring without music.
If you can drive a car and listen to the radio, talk on the phone, text (don't say you've never done, it all of us have) then you can listen to music and ride.
I will admit the first couple times of doing it, it was a little distracting but now its distracting without it.
I don't mean to attack anyone just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I have ridden with ear plugs, earbuds, my custom speaker setup, and with open ears. When keeping the music at a reasonable level using my speaker setup you can hear things around you just fine. And if you think hearing what is around you is the end all be all you, are not looking around enough.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I totally disagree, can you not chew gum and walk, how about rub your stomach and pat your head...
Dude, I respect your opinion, so I hope you can respect mine. In my opinion, I consider it idiocy to ride with a compromised sense of hearing. Riding a motorcycle in full traffic is not even remotely the same as walking while chewing gum, or patting your head. Because you see, if you bump into someone on the sidewalk while chewing gum, you don't die (unless the dude's got a g-thang and pulls a gun on you and shoots you dead).

And I never said hearing was the "end all, be all." Read the post. I said it was an important sense needed. What you hear is confirmed by what you see. You may hear a dog approaching, but that observation is not confirmed until you see it with your own eyes. So, hearing, though not the "end all, be all" is a very important sensory input.

At any rate, I don't see how anyone thinks they need music to ride. Riding is probably the one of a few things that you can do unadulterated and still enjoy. Again, this is MY OPINION that I think riding while listening to music, whether low in volume or high in volume is dumb and displays a lack of judgment JUST LIKE talking on your phone, texting, etc. This is why those things that distract from your senses are being outlawed in many states and districts.

Again, check your local laws. If you're not allowed to have earbuds/headphones on while driving/riding, don't. But like I said, natural selection usually takes its course.

·
2,408 Posts
I'm sorry man, I respect your opinion, but the natural selection thing is a little over the top... People would say the same thing about you buying a 1000cc sportbike capable of speeds in excess of 180mph, but hey we all bought them, that's why we're on here. Riding is dangerous regardless. I hit a deer at 80mph on a highway, and I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing 600$ worth of Icon riding gear. I had my earbuds in for that accident. Guess what, there's no hearing a deer when you're doing 80 with an aftermarket exhaust. I lived for some reason, and I thank god. If I did die, at least I would have went out to a kickass soundtrack!! Seriously though, natural selection comments are a little rude being that we all do something dangerous every day. That's just my opinion...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can respect your opinion, and it probably isn't for everyone. Its all personal preference, I guess like riding a Honda vs. a Yamaha or Kawasaki. I do things because I enjoy them not for others. I used the mods on my bike because I wanted them not because others had them.
Just enjoy riding, I do listening to music, you don't have too.
Have a good day! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.