Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those who may not be aware, all US-spec SC77's are sold with "restrictor plates" glued into the ram air intake tubes on the front of the motorcycle. The European version of the motorcycle does not come with these restrictors. This How-To explains how to remove these restrictors. Here is what we are removing:

To get stared, first you need to remove the circled lower fairing bolts on both sides. Once these bolts are removed, you can pull the side fairing away from the lower fairing at the seam, and then you can also separate the fairings at the bottom near the headers by pulling and twisting as necessary.

Remove the two upper fairing bolts and the shoulder bolt on both sides:

Remove these four plastic screws:

Lastly there are two self-tapping Philips screws on the inside of the fairings that need to be removed:

With those screws removed the painted fairing should be semi-free from the plastic trim piece. Now the faring can be removed. I found that first you want to unclip the plastic trim pointed to here. It just clips on/off so you will need to kind of pull and pry. If it doesn't want to come apart, just pull the whole fairing forward and up. There are slots that require the fairing to go forwards to be disengaged and there is a post on the back that needs to be lifted out of it's hole. So, forward and up is the action you want. When it comes free, you should see this:

Remove this shoulder bolt:

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continued:

Remove this semi-hidden plastic pop-rivet. It is pictured on the opposite side which it will come out:

Now, this plastic trim piece should come free with some unsnapping:

Remove this plastic fastener and the trim piece it is holding on:

Finally you should be ready to pull the intake tube. You will need to lift and pull as there is a post that sits in a hole which needs to be cleared. When pulled you should have something that looks like this:

Now some people may elect to remove the intake resonators and I have done that before on a previous CBR600RR but this time around I elected to leave them in place as I can't be sure whether they are there purely for emissions/noise standards, or whether there is a performance benefit to them. Up to you. Certainly, though, you will want to pull the intake restrictor plates:

They do just pull right out. Then you can either peel the rubber cement off the intake or cut it off with a blade. Reassembly is more or less the same as taking it apart, just be very careful to make sure everything is properly clipped in and/or seated before going on to the next step. If something is not right, you may have to go back a few steps to fix it.

For the left side, the process is the same except there are a couple wires which are secured to the intake tube, as well as a couple zip ties that need to be cut and replaced (Edit: Apparently the zip ties have a release tab and are reusable). Otherwise the process is more or less identical.

Once put back together, take your now restrictor-plate-free CBR for a joy ride!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The benefit is that you no longer have restrictor plates in your intake 🙂

As far as hp increase, it's hard to say. I read on this forum that a before/after dyno pull saw no difference with these in place vs removed, but, it's possible that under speed especially at speeds above 100mph this mod provides an improvement that cannot be seen on a dyno.

I don't think it will affect airflow enough to require a retune, but I do plan to flash my bike with the Euro unrestricted tune sooner than later. This mod should only really affect high rpm full throttle AFR's anyway, which Honda usually tunes a little rich to be safe, so I figure a little extra air in those conditions should be just fine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you. I was already flashed. So I'll get to those restrictors when I do block off plates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The benefit is that you no longer have restrictor plates in your intake 🙂

As far as hp increase, it's hard to say. I read on this forum that a before/after dyno pull saw no difference with these in place vs removed, but, it's possible that under speed especially at speeds above 100mph this mod provides an improvement that cannot be seen on a dyno.

I don't think it will affect airflow enough to require a retune, but I do plan to flash my bike with the Euro unrestricted tune sooner than later. This mod should only really affect high rpm full throttle AFR's anyway, which Honda usually tunes a little rich to be safe, so I figure a little extra air in those conditions should be just fine.
That's why it would be cool if dyno's had frontal airflow that would match wheel speed at least and could be programmed temperature wise.

A wind tunnel with dyno? :unsure:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just removed these when I did pair. At idle no difference. Haven't gotten on the road to fully test yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet either since doing the mod. I doubt it will make any difference to sound but I'll let you know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@PedroG0508 I have been dying to go for a ride and find out, but unfortunately I still have not had the chance. Will definitely report back when I do (y)

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
34 Posts
I just received my carbon fiber inserts to the Middle fairing so while I have them off I will pull the restrictors and see how it sounds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts