Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone (y)

So I finally got a chance to ride the bike today and here are my observations:

1. Sound is mostly unchanged but I do think the intake noise is a touch louder and has a bit more of a rowdy snarl to it. I almost want to say it sounds less refined but in a good way. Very subtle change, and to be honest it could all be in my head, but, It does make sense to me that these restrictors were put in place only to pass US noise requirements. Why else would Honda bother to retrofit these bastards?
2. Power wise, as my Dad would say, it runs like a raped ape. First gear the wheel does not want to stay down. Shifting first to second the wheel comes up again. Getting onto the freeway, slight uphill/crest, it pulls the wheel up in 3rd, shifting hard 3rd to 4th over a bump on the highway, the wheel came up (slightly) again! Of course it ran very well before this mod too, so I am not claiming that this mod added a significant or even measurable amount of horsepower, but it definitely did not hurt. And it should be noted, the conditions were very good on my ride today; sea level, cool temperatures, and dry air = happy engine. P1 T1 EB2 in case anyone is wondering.

And I still have not even flashed it :devilish:

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
I heard it's faster not to wear gear :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I think I know the sound you are talking about. Is that really valve rattle? It's still there.

Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
I just finished pulling the right middle fairing to put in the Carbon Fiber insert. Pulled the right intake duct while there and removed the restrictor. No one mentioned what a pain in the A** it is to reinstall the duct end in under the tank where you can't see the end, you wiggle it around until it finally goes in. :)
Hopefully the Left side is easier. Can't wait to ride it afterwards.

Maybe, I have to pull the tank cover to put on the carbon fiber replacement for the center black plastic, but I had to pull the middle fairing anyways so I went that way.

This morning I pulled the left side middle fairing to install the Carbon Fiber insert in place of the back plastic and pulled the air intake while in there. After removing the restrictor I found this side went back together fairly easily.
I then started it and listened to the intake sound. It is about the same volume and a little deeper in pitch, maybe. At speed a twist of the throttle has the sound a little deeper, throatier, but not much in volume change. And most important, no noticeable performance difference, at least up to 120 mph, but then the bike is so freaking fast already the seat-of-pant meter can't tell a small difference. But I can't see leaving a restriction in the air intake so I deem it a worth while zero dollar mod.;)

Registered
Yes same here. Had it up to race speed today no noticeable difference...will re tune and check back...

a d m i n
They way I did mine is by removing them from the air box. They are easily accessible when you remove the air filter.
See? Now that鈥檚 a great idea!

Many of us removed our ecu鈥檚 to send out for flashing, and realize how easy that was. The next step, (wt ecu still out), would be plugging the injector intakes, removing the air filter, and pulling out those intake restricters and buttoning it back up.
Zero Drama.

My tuner, Dano, suggested only a nominal gain, (with the removal of the intake restrictors), but I鈥檇 do it alone for the increased sound, and small gain.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts