Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to head up to Tahoe on friday with a good friend of mine so we take off about 1pm and I let him ride my 600rr and I'm on the 1000rr. He only has a couple hours seat time but were taking it really slow and he is learning quick. Weather is 75 degrees and sunny at my house (about 2k feet) and figure it will be cool over the top but no weather problems. Well, as it can do in the early summer there are clouds backed up at the top and it's looking kind of ominous but we know once we get over the top (about 9k feet I believe) it will be no problem. Started to rain, which turned to hail and everyone on a motorcycle was turning back. We decide to push on, and next thing we know were riding in SNOW! The road is completely covered and I decide to turn around because I'm thinking I may not make it without dumping the bike and I'm really nervous about my friend. As we head down we come across a guy we had seen earlier on an RC51 with his girlfriend and he says he's goin for it and that it's only a mile and he lives on the other side. We flip back around and go for it and rode 1st gear with both feet of the pegs and made it over the top (do they make chains for bikes :D )

Anyways, we get to Tahoe and I lose a little money and my buddy wins a couple hudred bucks playing poker and we head back the next day. Weather is great and my buddy needs to take a leak so I'm a little ahead of him and I see a road to pull of on so I brake hard flip around and I'm waiting for him as he comes around the corner. he sees me and slows down no problem, and then starts to flip around WITHOUT CHECKING HIS MIRRORS or doing a head check! I had the worst feeling in my gut as a Female on a Harley comes around the corner. At this point he is sideways in the road and my heart is in my throat. She manages to swerve and miss him but it startles him and he drops my bike. I was so relieved that they did not colide that I didn't care about my bike. Turns out there is probably around $650.00 worth of damage and I dont even have to ask him to take care of it since he's been my best friend since I was 5 and I would not let him ride if it was in question.

I laid into him pretty good once he calmed down about always knowing what's behind you at all times. You never know when you may need to stop quickly and you better know if there is a Semi truck 20 feet off your ass. Hell, I knew he had a vehicle behind him and I was half a mile down the road. All turned out well, just a little damage to his pride and my bike. Chalk it up to an expensive lesson. I did have an Old guy in a Corvette try to race me over the top of the pass, I just rode him hard with a big smile for about 5 miles then waived him goodbye to wait for my friend. Had to be careful due to sand on the road.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wow, that could've been a lot worse... Glad he's alright.

BTW, silly sunny state riders and your fear of snow... :p I couldn't tell you how many times I've ridden with snow on the roads over the last 5 years, but I'm sure it's more than a hundred. It's really not that bad, and it's a great way to learn a steady throttle hand, and how to handle a bike at the very limits (And beyond) of traction. I just think of it as off-season race practice. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have spent alot of time driving in the snow in Auto's but first time on a bike and I had no idea how it was going to handle. I did start to lose the front end coming to a stop but I know how traction in the snow works from experience. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if in the same position and it would have been easier not having a noob on my other bike with my because I had 2 bikes to worry about. I do live in the mountains so we get snow quite often just never got stuck riding in it before.

·
Registered
776 Posts
SNOW who cares about snow!! I live in buffalo. It's snowing right now!! Just kidding snow isn't that bad on a bike. It's actually a blast on XRs!! Glad to hear everyone is ok. Bikes are replaceable people aren't!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.