Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
Mark9738377 said:
Is the 1000RR better than the 954? and why? in turning? and how good is that HESD?
The 1000RR puts the power down much better. The ride seems smoother. The transmission is waaaay better than the 954/929. I like the hydraulic clutch. The radial braks are much better. I think the fit & finish is better. I don't even notice the HESD, which is a good thing. The bike is very stable.

The biggest "problem" could be the ergonomics. It's a little tighter, but comfort will be completely dependent on each rider's personal preference and tolerance. I got a little sore after 1.5 hour non-stop ride today, but usually have that problem when I start riding again in the spring.

Also, I'm still debating on what to do for a tank bag. I have other options for carrying my stuff, but I'd still like to have my map up there.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Most everyone takes a while to get used to a new riding position. When I went to the Superhawk from the '94 CBR1000F there was some pain involved. Same case with going from the Superhawk to the RC51. This one is no different. Different muscle groups are involved and joints are bent differently. That's normal. Give it time and your body will grow to the bike.

As for the seat, at first I thought it was okay, but after having Sargent seats for the last 5 years I don't think I can handle this one either. After a 2 hour ride today (with multiple stops) my butt was burning quite a bit.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Sure, John, that's easy for you to say. I have a 45 minute ride on the slab to and from our normal riding area. You have to ride, what, 5 or 10 minutes? There's not a whole lot of opportunity or reason to change positions often when on the highway.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
From having put about 200 miles on a 954 and 20 miles on a 1000rr I can tell you ther's a huge difference.
1-grab a lot of throttle on the 954 bike gets extremely light,tank slapper
2-the 100rr feels more planted in the corners,you dont worry about the rear stepping out as much
3- you can definately put the power to the ground better
4- seat is about 15% better(still a plank)
5-technology H.E.S.D-Swingarm
6-its 1000 CC bike

·
Mmmmmm, cookies!
61 Posts
I'm be very interested in what the replies will be to this post as well since I am pondering the thought of a stable mate for my 954. I'm not really worried about comfort, if that's what I wanted then I'd buy a Goldwing. It took me quite some time and tinkering but I believe I have my 954 set up damn near perfect suspension wise. Now that I have found a set of tires that suite my riding and work well on the bike I have gained a lot of confidence. Keep in mind my 954 has a full Hindle, PCIII with a custom map, and the flapper mod putting out 145 at the wheel. I also have a Scotts to keep the front under wraps during those "iffy" moments when the front gets light. I guess what I want to know is if any 954 riders with mods done to their bikes really feel that there is a HUGE leap forward. Not just a moderate jump.

D-Dub

·
Registered
194 Posts
Let me chime in on this topic...

My friend let me borrowed his 954RR for three weeks, and I have 270 miles on the new 1000RR.

My friend has installed a sato full pipe with Dan Kyle custom made map, and a scotts damper to calm the front end down.

Power:

954RR feels like an ordinary I-4 in the power delivery department, adequate low/mid range, screaming top end. Where as the 1000RR delivers its power like somewhere between an I-4 and v-twin (I rode my '02 RC51 for two years before I sold it last month). 1000RR in stock trim still feels stronger than my friend's 954RR with a full pipe though, and mind you...it only has 270 miles, not fully broken in yet!

Handling:

No comparison there, 954RR is a very nervous bike, which is not very confidence inspiring. The new Blade with HESD and an ultra stable chassis really outshines the last gen. 954RR is still a more nimble bike than the 1000RR, due to the lighter mass. 954 is easier to throw around than a 1000RR as well, but I'll take stability over that marginal better agility.

Brake:

954RR really has superb brakes, lots of initial bite, lots of stopping power. The radial setup on the new 1000RR is more progresive in my opinion, but equally strong...I miss my GOLD Nissin calipers!

Riding Position:

Magazines didn't lie when they wrote "lower bars and higher and further back foot pegs". 954 feels like a sport touring bike in comparison, 1000RR is more agressive in the riding position department, much like my last bike, a RC51.

Appearance:

1000RR sports that RC211V gp machine look..need I say more?

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
Wow, great feedback. Helps those of us still on the fence (though I've lost my balance and feel myself falling onto the 1000RR).

Also, FWIW, I move around a lot too -- highway or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.