Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the stock exhaust with a slip-on, is it necessary to use a power commmander or will it run fine w/out??? This is my first fuel injected bike...I've always re-jetted my carbs, so I'm assuming this is similar w/ the fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
With just a slip-on, you should be fine without it. Ask any exhaust manufacturer and they will tell you the same. I ran my 929 with a slip-on and no P.C. for several months. I ended up getting the PCIIIr to try and compensate for the dip in the low RPM's, but noticed no difference with it installed anywhere.

They are nice if you get a custom map made and are able to smooth out some of the dips in the stock mapping, but the stock map in this bike is so smooth anyway, it's probably not worth the $.

It's up to you, but it's definitely not necessary.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's pretty much accepted that you need one if you have a full system.

With a slip-on though, it's a bit of a grey area. I'm of the opinion that most stock bikes can benefit from a PC3, so I would put a PC3 on if I had a slip-on. You just have to make the call - is the improvement worth $300 to you?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Do you asolutely have to have it? No, not even with a full system.
But if you get one and try some different maps out, you will see the difference. To really benefit at all rpm ranges you will need to have a custom map made and then it should run flawless and make the most power. Power gains with a slip on only will not make a big difference, but a full system will be drastic because of the difference of size and flow from the stock to aftermarket headers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
For the most part, no. 150+ horsepower and you want more? If you do anything major to the engine or exaust then yes, get a power commander. Because the bikes OEM electronics are setup for stock you wont see the full benefits unless you remap it, thats what a power commander does.

·
crotch rocket
589 Posts
On the 929 & 954, a PCIII cleaned up a big dip in the power curve, as well as helping with power. It won't be as noticable on the 1000RR, as it already has a very good, smooth power curve.

However, Honda's tend to run very lean, for emissions purposes. Therefore, a PCIII should give a little more power, loose a little on mileage, plus have a side benefit of running cooler (lean = hot).

·
Registered
604 Posts
CBRMELRR said:
Yes, good point vigis...
I kinda agree... but only at low speeds. Yea, in 1st and 2nd, you can only use so much power, but once you get to 3rd, 4th, etc.... a little bit of oomph would be nice, especially at low RPM's.

BUT I'M NOT COMPLAINING!!!!

This thing's got tons of f'ing power!!!! :!:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.