Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
young buck
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Jardine RT5 and installed it yesterday... way too loud. Is it okay to run it without tuning the bike? I mean, is it desirable or mandatory to tune after installing this exhaust? The reason I ask is because it has 80 miles on it and I'd hate to mess something up.

Also, my bike is making a ticking noise, sort of like injectors (hoping)... is that normal?
And when my bike warmed up after installing some new levers, I could feel a bit of vibration- just a tiny noticeable bit- and when I squeeze the clutch the noise/vibration goes away.

Yikes! I'm wondering if the ticking noise is because of the exhaust, to make it relevant to this post.

I might just be getting scared of the new noises of a motor as it breaks in. But I'd rather be on the safe side.

·
THE DOCTOR
1,879 Posts
No you do not have to tune it but it would be better because you would have smoother power delivery and more power.

·
ummmm yeah
100 Posts
Couple of questions first:

Does the popping sound occur when you let off of the throttle, if so there is gas in the exhaust with ignites in the exhaust pipes, the cure is to change the fuel/air ratios and to fix this the best course is to tune your bike.

·
ummmm yeah
100 Posts
The vibration in the levers: how big are the grommets that are in the levers, if they are not wide enough, the levers with have some play with the post that attaches them to the lever housing. With the bike stopped, can you wiggle the levers, if so, go to Lowes or Home Depot and find some larger rubber gromets but be careful not to get too big because this can have an effect on the ease at which you pull the levers.

And finally having the bike tuned is good but like Rossi said its not necessary.

Good luck with your problems and break your bike in properly

·
young buck
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vibration in the levers: how big are the grommets that are in the levers, if they are not wide enough, the levers with have some play with the post that attaches them to the lever housing. With the bike stopped, can you wiggle the levers, if so, go to Lowes or Home Depot and find some larger rubber gromets but be careful not to get too big because this can have an effect on the ease at which you pull the levers.

And finally having the bike tuned is good but like Rossi said its not necessary.

Good luck with your problems and break your bike in properly

The levers were installed correctly. I'm very meticulous when I install new parts on a new bike. I'll take three times as much time as is needed just to enjoy the pleasure of upgrading. My exhaust system doesn't have a scratch anywhere because I took two hours to install it and it should have taken 30 minutes. I might put the stock exhaust back on since it gives me a headache to ride with it that loud.

I was all amped up on the new Pro tune 3 from Jardine but if there isn't a silencer available for this muffler than I'm over it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got a Jardine RT5 and installed it yesterday... way too loud. Is it okay to run it without tuning the bike?...bike is making a ticking noise, sort of like injectors (hoping)... is that normal?...
I have an RT5 on my '09 1000RR. At idle and lower rpm it's not any louder than the Acropovic slip-on (w/o silencer insert) on a 1000RR. It's also not any louder than the full Akropovic system on my previous bike.

The RT5 is definitely louder than the stock exhaust, and at high rpm it's pretty loud -- but most aftermarket exhausts are. From a tone and sound aesthetics standpoint, I think it sounds great.

I live in a tightly spaced subdivision, and at lower rpms the RT5 isn't remotely loud enough for anyone to complain. Straight-pipe Harleys are much louder.

I always ride with earplugs -- not because of the exhaust but the wind noise. But that reduces the droning exhaust sound at highway speed.

I have a Bazzaz Z-Fi TC fuel injection tuner, and a full custom tune. Whether I run that map or the stock map, there's sometimes a little bit of popping on trailing throttle, but it's very faint and not frequent.

Running a slip-on without re-tuning the air/fuel ratio isn't a good idea. It probably won't hurt the bike for shorter periods, especially if ridden gently. At a minimum you want a piggyback tuner like Power Commander and a downloadable map for your configuration.

I don't hear any ticking noise from the engine.

I don't know what the quietest aftermarket exhaust is. That's a good question.

·
young buck
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info. I sort of needed to hear someone tell me what you said- that it's louder than stock but, hey, it's not crazy loud. That leads me to the conclusion that I should stick with the stock exhaust for now, because in all reality I can't afford a piggyback system and selling my new RT5 is going to yield enough to make a payment on the bike and my insurance for another month!

Thanks again for the info. By the way, to avoid another post, is there a post minimum before listing something for sale on the forum? I have attempted to list my exhaust but to no avail...

Thanks!

·
Kamikaze
14,397 Posts
And when my bike warmed up after installing some new levers, I could feel a bit of vibration- just a tiny noticeable bit- and when I squeeze the clutch the noise/vibration goes away.
I know, old thread. However if this vibration is when the bike is in neutral then it is fine. Every bike I've ever ridden has had a slight vibration with the engine idling in neutral. When you pull in the clutch it is putting pressure on the clutch basket and keeps it from rattling. It isn't engaged with any gears in neutral so I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts