Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
'08 1000RR Black & Yellow
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, gotta call from a Buddy Friday wantin ta know if I'd like to hit the Open Track Day at Jennings yesterday so I said FAWK IT! Why Not..... so we prepped our bikes Saturday loaded everything up Saturday night and left Tampa around 4am Sunday and headed toward Jennings. Weather was awful at that time in Tampa but we were hopin for best at Jennings. All in all it turned out to be a perfect day there. Not too Hot, nice breeze and plenty of Sun!

Ok now to the track experience - I'm gonna spare you the classroom stuff for n00bs which most of you probably have witnessed and is quite boring to be honest. Anyway, out on the track! First off, there were A LOT of people yesterday.... Advanced and Intermediate were completely full which left a few spots open for Novice and some of the Intermediate guys were in the Novice group just to ride. So I'm out on the Track :) ........ My Goal yesterday was to just learn the Track and get a feel for it, wasn't looking to Wad my shit up the first time out! I really like the Track, especially Turns 1,2, 6-14.... ahhh Hell the whole Track was awesome! LOL I had a problem with Turns 1 and 2 at first just because of the way it transitions and that took a little getting used to the first couple sessions, but by the end of the day I was hittin it pretty good which carry'd my speed thru 3 up to 4,5,6. I didn't really have a problem with 8 that I've heard so much about but maybe that'll come in time as my speed increases. I relly liked the way comin outa 8 into 9 and 10 transition'd which sets you good for 11 then you can just gas it thru 12 up to 13! Now 13 is a monster and a Blast all at the same time (just kinda hard to expalain...... you just have to do it to understand it fully). All in all a great day..... I wasn't there to run records good or bad just wanted to have fun. I think the hardest thing for me was getting used to being passed in such close proximity and also just worring about what's goin on behind me (mentally) I never looked back there but the thought always goes thru your mind "Am I leavin enough room for the guy behind me" and the other mental thing for me was being concerned about runnin outa tire. both I'll get used to the more I frequent the Track. Sorry for such a small amount of pics but we didn't have anyone there to really take them and I wasn't spending 40 buxs for the shots the Pro was took. Enjoy the few pics we did get.

Like my smilie face???? A little Track Day humor! LOL

Me Turn 11

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
AF Member
1,311 Posts
Your only concern is whats in front of you. The rider in front always has the right-of-way. Don't worry about whether there is enough room for the rider behind you, otherwise, you become unpredictable to that rider trying to make a pass. Just hold your line and be consistent. That rider will then have a much easier time making the pass if he's faster than you.

+1 Welcome to the trackday addiction!

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your only concern is whats in front of you. The rider in front always has the right-of-way. Don't worry about whether there is enough room for the rider behind you, otherwise, you become unpredictable to that rider trying to make a pass. Just hold your line and be consistent. That rider will then have a much easier time making the pass if he's faster than you.

+1 Welcome to the trackday addiction!
yeah I understand the concept..... applying it is completely different. It'll come in time as I do more Days. By the end of the day that wasn't as much a concern as the confidence in my tires were. Like I said just something I'll get used to eventually as my confidence increases.

·
carbonated
984 Posts
sounds like you had fun.. I am going to my first this weekend at MAM. hope I can post similar results!

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Man I wish I would have known that was you!!
I was on the only other 08 in the Novice group (red).

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I wish I would have known that was you!!
I was on the only other 08 in the Novice group (red).
Ahhh Cool Man.... I think there were a total of 4 '08's there 2 Black and Red, 1 Black and Silver, and mine. you had the Frank Thomas leathers on correct? Never saw ya on the Track! Once goin out I think and the other times comin in

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Yeah that was me. I did alot of pitting in to clear traffic, lots of bikes that day

·
Registered
94 Posts
A buddy of mine rode met with his 09 1KRR for the first time down there. He rode his Ducati the first day then his Silver RR the second day. He was wearing a vest for some of the shots so maybe he was a control rider or something? Maybe you guys saw him there. A couple of my other friends were down there riding white 600RR's, one of them with pink on it. They had a blast, all of them from the Chicago area.

·
"Special ladies are hot"
8,077 Posts
good stuff man. glad you had a blast. jennings is quite fun. plus one on what brown said. I did a novice day with only 6 people on the track and had a lady in there who it seems never got above 60mph. her lines were dead on though and you had no problems getting around her.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, and aren't you glad you did? ;)

Now next time, don't blow T11! :D lol

Just messing with you man :D
hahahaha yeah I went a little wide huh??? LOL

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's been one of the questions on my mind was not being able to see behind and getting spookes as people come around.
yeah I got kinda used to it by the end of the day. It does really kinda freak you out at first. you just gotta tell yourself "expect to get passed" and you will..... but if you tell yourself that, it won't be as much of a surprise when it happens.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts