Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm Scott. I picked up this 04 1000rr last week and found this site. I may ask some questions here or there, but I'll try and search the forum first.

Check it out. Clean as a whistle and I got it for a pretty good deal. The guy threw in the original fairings and a set of stands. I couldn't say no.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,029 Posts
Hey Scott, Welcome to the Forum!!

Nice clean Blade!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
things it has...front sprocket for bottom end, (i can't remember if it's more or less teeth i can never keep track of all that). a speedo healer. a bunch of stickers for extra hp, a delkevic exhaust that is almost as loud as a d&d i had back in the day, little metal caps for the brake and clutch reservoirs, grippy rubber things where your knees hit the tank, a little plastic sticker thing where your belly hits the tank, a plug hanging from one side for a battery tender, some aftermarket fairings that have some malaysian word on them that no one i know can figure out the meaning of, k&n filters, big chunky frame sliders that stick out pretty far, tinted windscreen, and tiny little sweaters around the clutch and brake reservoirs, (in case they get cold I guess).

things it does not have...a lot of tread on the tires, a phone mount, an exhaust baffle.

gonna try and get those tires and phone mount next week.

seriously what's up with those little sweaters on the reservoirs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JD! I've heard over the years that when you're buying a used bike, that you look at the guy selling it to you just as much as you look at the bike. This guy...he panicked with I went to fold the title. I think he's one of those that polished this thing every time he finished riding it. I've never bought a used bike in my life out of some crazy idea that I may not know what the previous owner did to it or if I could feel safe on it, but this one is immaculate. I gave him 4500 bucks, it's got 20k miles and I got front and rear stands and the original silver fairings as well. Not too shabby. I'm certainly happy with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The reservoirs sweat bands are to prevent fluid leaks from dripping all over the place and also to keep dust out of the cap thread area so when you remove the cap/rubber baffle dirt/grit doesn't fall in the rervoir.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,029 Posts
That’s great that you also got the oem silver fairings too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
SCORE!!!! You lucky dog. Very cool bike. I have an 05 and it's been great....33,000 miles so far. Cool paint scheme....one of a kind. Don't crash it, have fun....wish I could see it in person.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,029 Posts
The reservoirs sweat bands are to prevent fluid leaks from dripping all over the place and also to keep dust out of the cap thread area so when you remove the cap/rubber baffle dirt/grit doesn't fall in the rervoir.
Haa! I was told a zillion years ago by racers that the sock/wristband, was to prevent breakdown by exposure to the sun. I don't know if they were just shining me on, (pun), or what, but I've been using them ever since, Oakley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know about the sweatbands. I'm in Denver so I figured at the very least they could act as actual sweaters, but it's also good to know that in the event that any fluids start flying that they wont end up hitting me in the face.

Im gonna drop it off for a set of tires this week. The shop that's doing the tires also rebuilds salvaged bikes and they've got over 100 of them in the back that are set to be fixed up. Would I be crazy to try and swap those original fairings for a discount on the tires? I'm not sure what they're worth, but they're all in new condition except the tail piece which has a small scuff on the right side which would be just under my right ass cheek.

They're just gonna sit in a box in a shed forever, and this shop could probably use them to fix up and old bike. The owner told me to bring them in. What is a reasonable trade on those? Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
SCORE!!!! You lucky dog. Very cool bike. I have an 05 and it's been great....33,000 miles so far. Cool paint scheme....one of a kind. Don't crash it, have fun....wish I could see it in person.

Here's a quick clip that's the next best thing to in-person. I'm gonna do my best not to crash it. I think I've already had all the motorcycle crashes that I need in this life.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well....if you have seen any of my posts, I love the red, white and blue schemes....this one is very cool and unique. The black accents are really nice and tasteful too.
Unless your bike is going to sit in the sun a lot, the reservoir covers are pretty much for show. If they are there for leaks you need to fix your master cylinder.
I still have my original fairing set as well in great condition. The original plastic from Honda is way better and worth keeping and worth more than aftermarket....maybe as much as $1,000.
By the way, Dunlop Q4s work great on my 05.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one will be locked up tight in a shed behind a fence with the door about 6 feet from my bedroom window. I've had 2 stolen over the years and I'm done with all that.

I would keep the fairings I suppose, but I know they'll just sit and collect dust. Plus with the one piece a little scuffed, if I needed new fairings I'd want to get a new, not-scuffed set and would probably do the aftermarket cheaper ones anyway. Could be good diplomacy to let that shop have them for a big discount on the tires. Never hurts to make friends with the local mom and pop shop down the street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts