Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dude
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just removed the two mids, lower and upper fairing on my 09 CBR. What a pain in the ass. WTF was Honda thinking? I can't imagine the techs at my local dealer getting these things put back together without braking tabs or just fucking the whole thing up all together. I feel sorry for anyone who isn't mechanically inclined trying to get the fairing off and and back on.

I still have more to go. I am getting my bike prepped for racing so have to do quite a bit to it. I will be glad to put the race plastics on instead of having to put the stock plastics back on again.

My next task is to get the passenger pegs and license plate holder off. That seems to be as involved as the fairings. After all that crap is off I can start doing the mechanic prep of the bike. Up to now this type of process has taken about a week of after work and a weekend. This time it is going to take a bit longer. Probably a couple of weekends and a couple of weeks of after work activity.

So WTF was Honda thinking here? Sure, when it is all together it looks really good but if it is a pain in the ass to work on the aesthetics don't quite make up for it.

·
Trackday junkie
559 Posts
first time is harder but after couple times...
now put them back on and take them off again, and then when you;ll have them all figured out you'll say "piece of cake" huh...

·
Red Wingin Georgia Boy
1,116 Posts
haha i think all fairings go along these lines...although ive heard the 08/09 r worse than others but the first time i took my fairings off it took forever too and now its a piece of cake

·
~~~~~~~~~~~
4,957 Posts
So WTF was Honda thinking here? Sure, when it is all together it looks really good ...
You answered your own question.

but if it is a pain in the ass to work on the aesthetics don't quite make up for it.
The average owner of a street bike isn't going to be taking the plastics on and off with regularity.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I agree with everyone here first time was a pain after that it really is easy just different steps to take from previous motorcycle, I can now get all my upper, lowers, and mids off in about 30 minutes....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ditch the intake flapper junk and it becomes extremely easy. also, use wd-40 on the intake tubes when you put it back together

·
1000RR White Repsol
99 Posts
Good luck with the tail section, if you think the sides were difficult.

I took mine completely apart and put i back together, and i'm not a superman.

So with a little bit of good thinking you'll get far.

I understand youre frustration, i left several nights sleep when i was putting the bike back together.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah 2 times doing it and its cake. Soon as the Sato street hooks are available then I will have to joy of taking the rear apart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Honda was thinking... Hey, lets go out and build the best liter bike ever imagined... Wait a minute we cant do that captain... the fairings will be too hard to take apart for the average consumer....eh maybe next shootout....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts