Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, that is the first and easiest go to. Now put on Dupont Chain Saver with a Ninja lube tool. You can do a complete chain clean and lube in a very short time.
I'm not a fan of the waxy look. I typically oil my chain after every few rides and I clean and oil it every time I wash my bike, but the simple green has never got the chain looking this nice. My chain and area near the sprocket has always been very black and grimey. I definitely needed to do a little scrubbing. Now that my chain looks brand new it's going to be very easy to maintain. Put a little kerosene in a spray bottle and spray and wipe.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
The Dupont Chain saver is teflon and the little glaze look you get if you put to much on wipes off with 1 spin of the wheel. The other good thing is your chain and sprockets stay much cleaner and for longer. I have tried just about every product and method out there and this combo of good ole kerosene and Chain Saver is by far my favorite. Give it a try.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
I just use a rag with a lot of kerosene and the rear on a Pitbull stand. I imagine you can connect the Ninja to an aerosol spray solvent and do a quick clean. Once you get it clean and use the Chainsaver it stays a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I just use a rag with a lot of kerosene and the rear on a Pitbull stand. I imagine you can connect the Ninja to an aerosol spray solvent and do a quick clean. Once you get it clean and use the Chainsaver it stays a lot cleaner.
I ordered the grease ninja and a can of chain saver. I'll give it a try and give you some feedback.
I never gave it much thought, always just used a piece of cardboard behind the chain and a catch pan underneath. Always a mess, always a lot of clean up, always a lot of wasted cleaner and lube.
You have anymore slick ideas don't hesitate to share! Actually I might start a new post with maintenance ideas, or you should. Obviously my way wasn't the optimal way as I'm sure many of my other methods are not as well.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Kerosene makes my turbo diesel run like a raped ape. I'd run it straight all the time if I could afford it, stuff is like jet fuel. I just use WD40 on my chains though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Korrekt.

I wish I still had the link, but a few years ago someone did a huge comp study test of a ton of chain products to see which chain lasted the longest, under pretty grueling conditions, and all of the fancy expensive cleaners, waxes and combinations fell short of simply using WD40 to clean and lube regularly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Korrekt.

I wish I still had the link, but a few years ago someone did a huge comp study test of a ton of chain products to see which chain lasted the longest, under pretty grueling conditions, and all of the fancy expensive cleaners, waxes and combinations fell short of simply using WD40 to clean and lube regularly.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
WD-40 is mostly kerosene, it does no harm
Not according to the manufacturer of it.

WD40BrandsCustomerService [email protected] Tue, Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm
To Jeff *******@****.com

Dear Jeff ********,

Thank you for contacting WD-40 Company.

Please be advised that WD-40 could penetrate behind the O rings and remove the lubricant that has been previously placed there.

Thank you again for contacting WD-40 Company. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Susan Doncheski
WD-40 Customer Service

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not according to the manufacturer of it.
Removing of lubricant is not the same thing as saying it damages the orings. WD-40 is not a lube (as many people mistake it for) so you absolutely need to lube your chain after you clean with anything.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Removing of lubricant is not the same thing as saying it damages the orings. WD-40 is not a lube (as many people mistake it for) so you absolutely need to lube your chain after you clean with anything.
Huh? The manufacturer is saying that the lube that comes packed inside a sealed O-ring chain can be diluted by the penetrating quality of WD-40. I don't care if the stuff damages the O-rings or the lube behind it or what. If it damages the chain from using it then it will not touch any of my chains.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts