Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SO why use WD-40 as a cleaner since a gallon of Kerosene is cheaper than a little spray can of WD-40?
You wouldn't.

Huh? The manufacturer is saying that the lube that comes packed inside a sealed O-ring chain can be diluted by the penetrating quality of WD-40. I don't care if the stuff damages the O-rings or the lube behind it or what. If it damages the chain from using it then it will not touch any of my chains.
WD-40 doesn't damage the o-rings and it doesn't damage the chain. It cleans the chain. Anytime you clean your chain there is the risk that you removed the lube in the o-rings. This is why you always lube your chain after cleaning it. The manufacturer's statement regarding WD-40 is just to cover their ass because of the misconception that WD-40 is a lube when it is not. Since they can't be sure everyone is going to relube their chain, they put out the statement that their product may not be safe for chains just to cover their ass.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'll just stick with a cleaner (Kerosene) and a lubricant after. Seems to have worked for me the last 20 some years!
If you are already using Kerosene no one is saying to use WD-40. WD-40 usually comes into the debate when people are talking about products branded to be used for cleaning/lubing chains. WD-40 is cheaper than most of the purpose made products and better... but still not as good as Kerosene. Just more convenient because it comes in a spray can.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll just stick with a cleaner (Kerosene) and a lubricant after. Seems to have worked for me the last 20 some years!
Yeb been doing it for 15 years after my first attempt with chain cleaner spray (wasted money for me!).

I use to buy the stuff in 500l + quantities as central heating oil and keep some for the bikes:smile:

I'll probably switch to paraffin or white spirit once I run out

I believe moder O rings are not affected by WD40 or equivalent but disolving the lube/grease inside the roller is a potential issue

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
WD-40 doesn't damage the o-rings and it doesn't damage the chain. It cleans the chain. Anytime you clean your chain there is the risk that you removed the lube in the o-rings. This is why you always lube your chain after cleaning it. The manufacturer's statement regarding WD-40 is just to cover their ass because of the misconception that WD-40 is a lube when it is not. Since they can't be sure everyone is going to relube their chain, they put out the statement that their product may not be safe for chains just to cover their ass.
I never implied that WD-40 damages the O-rings. One of its characteristics is that it is a penetrant. When I wrote to the company back in 2013 I asked them if it could penetrate past the O-rings and thus dilute the grease that is packed behind them. They said yes, it could. That was enough for me.

I also wrote to the makers of Simple Green about the same time and they replied that their product would not damage an O-ring chain. I've been a faithful user of Simple Green to clean my chains for years. I have a copy of that email from them around somewhere if anyone wants to read it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah, extensive testing has shown that chains with nothing but WD40 on them outlast chains that have been cleaned and lubed with every product on the market as of four years ago or so. Whatever theoretical downside there could be to it on paper, in application it's pudding proof.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
That diluted grease gets displaced when you lube your chain.
I know of no way to get grease back on the roller, in past the o-ring. The o-ring is supposed to keep dirt and other contaminants out and keep the grease in but it cannot do that perfectly as the chain is metal and expands and contracts and vibrates, so there’s going to be a small amount of “failure”.

The propellant in a can of WD-40 has been suspected in drying the rubber compounds in the o-ring. I use it occasionally but only in small doses to clean and then I lube afterwards.

I would use Kerosene if I had a viable way to use it, a spray bottle sounds nice if I could find one made of a material that would hold up to the stuff and IF I could buy it in a small quantity.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know of no way to get grease back on the roller, in past the o-ring. The o-ring is supposed to keep dirt and other contaminants out and keep the grease in but it cannot do that perfectly as the chain is metal and expands and contracts and vibrates, so there’s going to be a small amount of “failure”.
I didn't say you could get grease back in there, I said lube would get in there and would displace the WD-40 and broken down grease.

The propellant in a can of WD-40 has been suspected in drying the rubber compounds in the o-ring. I use it occasionally but only in small doses to clean and then I lube afterwards.
Got a link to anything about the propellant itself. The video I linked used the WD-40 in a can but that video was mostly to see if the oring would breakdown or swell, not necessarily dry out. I bet you will need new sprockets before you need new orings.

I would use Kerosene if I had a viable way to use it, a spray bottle sounds nice if I could find one made of a material that would hold up to the stuff and IF I could buy it in a small quantity.
I actually purchased this "fake?" kerosene stuff at Lowes that comes in a plastic jug (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kerosene-Heater/3637782), its like $10 for 128floz. I poured some into a dollar tree spray bottle and it seems to be holding up just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Kerosene can't be beat. If using a rag soaking wet in it is a pain for you just put it in a sprayer bottle.
Its cheap an has worked for longer than most of us have been alive. WD is NOT a lubricant. No matter what anyone or test says, its a penetrant and water displacer. It cleans well and probably won't hurt modern O ring chains but why pay more. And (this is like an oil thread, lol) being a penetrant in may shorten the life of the grease behind the O Ring.

·
Registered
431 Posts
All I know is, I've got nearly 10K on my new chain that has never had anything but WD40 on it, and I haven't had to adjust it once. My original chain started to loosen up every 4-5K, no matter what expensive super high performance sportbike chain cleaners and waxes I used on it. Tests only get me interested enough to try something. Actually trying it and succeeding get me to believe in it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That diluted grease gets displaced when you lube your chain.

You ever see the metal spray cans sold at harbor freight or must other autoparts stores, probably Lowes, home depot? You fill it with any chemical and hit the valve with a bit of compressed air which pressurizes the can thus propelling whatever you put in the can. Works great and holds up to any solvent I have put in it for years.
If youre not sure what I'm talking about I will snap a picture of mine

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I didn't say you could get grease back in there, I said lube would get in there and would displace the WD-40 and broken down grease.
The o ring is a seal and in order to get the grease in you have to force it past the ring. Do you have a lube applicator that can do this?
I actually purchased this "fake?" kerosene stuff at Lowes that comes in a plastic jug (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kerosene-Heater/3637782), its like $10 for 128floz. I poured some into a dollar tree spray bottle and it seems to be holding up just fine.
I might look for it. Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
You ever see the metal spray cans sold at harbor freight or must other autoparts stores, probably Lowes, home depot? You fill it with any chemical and hit the valve with a bit of compressed air which pressurizes the can thus propelling whatever you put in the can. Works great and holds up to any solvent I have put in it for years.
Haven’t seen such a thing. Please show.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
All I know is, I've got nearly 10K on my new chain that has never had anything but WD40 on it, and I haven't had to adjust it once. My original chain started to loosen up every 4-5K, no matter what expensive super high performance sportbike chain cleaners and waxes I used on it. Tests only get me interested enough to try something. Actually trying it and succeeding get me to believe in it.
You can get 10k using Crisco. Especially if your not running hard. If you like it use it. There are a ton of threads on WD. The only consistent thing i see is that the pro's and club riders are not using it as a lube.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Haven’t seen such a thing. Please show.
Of course when you ask mine comes up missing! I know who has it but just google refillable solvent sprat can. From $20 to $60, sureshot brand holds up the best to anything you're gonna put in there.
I've put kerosene, acetone, IPA, purge solvent, degreaser, you name it I've had it in that can and never had an issue. I believe you can also buy different nozzles for it.
Just put a couple psi to the air valve and spray away

Attachments

21 - 40 of 58 Posts