Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you done LED's on your bike?

My family wants me to install LED's on the bike so I don't get run over in the dark.

I like the all black stealth look, but wouldn't mind having them to flip on when it gets nasty outside.

Like the other day, I ride in to work and it was beautiful. But when i left, it was so foggy that I bet I couldn't see 35 yards in front of me. That was a scarey 25 mile ride home in the dark at 5am.

So I'm looking at a kit by LED Glow. Advanced Million Color SMD LED Motorcycle Lighting Kit with Smartphone Control

Is it any good? Easy to wire up? Does the bikes charging system handle the extra drain on power?

If you've done this, can you share pictures and / or video?

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've learned not to assume anything, so, you know your bikes lighting is all LEDs, right? So you want extra LEDs. Where do you plan to mount them? Your only likely option is mounting them to the lower forks using one of the front fender mounting bolt locations.

I have Denalis on one of my bikes and they are great, but not cheap. They have a "kit" for mounting them to the fenders. The kit is nothing more than longer bolts and spacers. If you have any questions about mounting or wiring whatever you get I'd be glad to offer any help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those flat strips of LED's to light up the bike like this:

I'll also do the wheels...

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,756 Posts
Curious how you plan on adding lights to the wheels.
Only options I am aware of are valve stem lights, glow in the dark paint additive, or reflective vinyl. None of which are really a "lighting" option.

Also be aware neon, under glow, or any lighting as shown in the picture above is illegal to have turned on while riding the bike on a public roadway. I know around me you would be pulled over and ticketed immediately.

For any LED lighting option I always turn to superbrightled.Com

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks cool and all but it's also a cop magnet too so keep that in mind. Curious to know how/where you're going to mount them. Ditto on SuperBrightLed.com.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Those type of lighting options are mainly produced for show cars/bikes.

Back in the early 90's the underglow neon lighting was all the rage. I was big into low riders, hydrolic systems, and mini trucks. I had them on my 64 Impala, Mazda B2000 mini truck, and a few other custom vehicles. They looked sick!
Problem was it distracted other drivers and coming from car shows late in the evening we caused many traffic back ups and even several crashes. This was in the Chicago area and laws were passed to make these lights illegal or a civil infraction. Now a days here in the Metro Detroit area even an off color license plate light will get you harassed, ticketed, and in my case even threatened with arrest for "impersonating an officer".

Like @dreamzboy said it looks good but will cause you a world of problems with the authorities.
I guess if you were to only light them at a stop like a gas station or parked or you take the bike to shows it's worth the time and money to install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want to really be seen in the dark, bright yellow vest over your leather or bright color jacket with reflective is the way to go. If you prefer LED lighting, check out https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/. It's overpriced but better approach. Apparently, there isn't any citation given to those who have it on their helmets but YMWV.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
There's quite a few options for functional lighting these days. Helmet brake and turn signal lights, paint that actually light up (used in aviation industry, requires a power supply), vests with intigrated brake and turn signals.

I believe the OP might be looking at this option strictly for the appearance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
106 Posts
1st check with local laws is it legal

2nd as above reflective items are legal and can be used all sorts of areas from reflective tape on bike, reflectors, vests, around your legs night straps etc

3rd fog lights can be installed and typically legal issue is just under fog conditions

Finally.. no light, no loud as F*** exhaust, no barrier around you is going to stop an accident from happening, you cant stop a drunk/drug driver, you cant stop someone not paying attention and you cant stop ppl simply not caring.

Best thing you can invest in is gear to limit your injuries, Airtech Alpinestars jacket/add on, proper riding boots, decent helmet, gloves etc and lastly rider training when was the last time you locked up your brakes and knew how to control the bike? How can YOU avoid an accident coming to you by avoidance?

Chances of LED lights saving you 5%, proper gear and training I would state 50X more then lights alone

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ordered the 12pc kit with extras.

Config like this:

Once it get's here, I'll snap some pictures of the kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts