Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typed this all up -

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR - 5 out of 5
For - "Amazingly sorted chassis that is perfectly balanced and a super smooth engine. The electronic steering damper works brilliantly and as a package the whole thing is more neutral than Switzerland"
Against - "Not much. The paint schemes (euro paint schemes..) are really poor and make the whole bike look dull. You could say the motor lacks some character, but really this is just splitting hairs on an excellent package"
Final Verdict - "Honda has done it again. The fireblade is so balanced and together as a whole package it makes the huge amount of power accessible to riders. A simply brilliant overall package"

2004 Kawasaki ZX10R - 4 out of 5
For - "You have to ride one of these to experience the ballistic engine. If you like race bikes the ZX-10R is a real racer on the road. Very good handling, addictive acceleration, and top brakes"
Against - "It is a bit too much. Do you really need 160bhp in the real world? The bike is so small some may find it uncomfortable and the power delivery is a big aggressive. It's not the most stable on bumps"
Final Verdict - "The ZX-10R is back to Kawasaki's old traditions. A mental engine and a race inspired chassis. It's a very good bike, but harsh and a bit unforgiving for the road. Much more at home on the track"

2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - 4 out of 5
For - "There is little wrong with the GSXR1000, it's just the competition has moved the game on. The handling is excellent and it's also slightly physically larger than the new breed. Also costs less"
Against - "Amazingly it does feel underpowered, the brakes aren't quite as good as the new breed and it now looks a bit old. The engine feels a bit revvy and buzzy, in a Suzuki way, where the rest are smooth."
Final Verdict - "The GSXR is still a brilliant bike, but it now feels a bit dated. To be fair few are ever going to notice its deficiencies, especially on the road, but it's no longer the top dog in a power dominated class"

2004 Yamah YZF-R1 - 5 out of 5
For - "The R1 is the classy sophisticated 1000. The engine is smooth and powerful while still retaining character and it looks amazing. The handling is excellent and the brakes are also superb"
Against - "The riding position is a bit odd and puts a lot of weight on your wrists. Also the speedo is hard to read, not good with such a powerful bike, and in the summer the exhausts can give it a hot seat."
Final Verdict - "The R1 has the looks, power, and control. It feels balanced and classy while still keeping a raw edge. As a road bike the R1 is very good and refined, but not quite as balanced as the Honda"

Specs :

Horsepower:
Honda - 153.8BHP @ 11,111 RPM / 79.5lb/ft @ 8384 RPM
Kawasaki - 160.6BHP @ 11,600 RPM / 82.3lb/ft @ 9300 RPM
Suzuki - 153.5BHP @ 10,600 RPM / 79.5lb/ft @ 8300 RPM
Yamaha - 153.8BHP @ 11,500 RPM / 82lb/ft @ 9000 RPM

Top speed:
Honda - 180.1 MPH
Kawasaki - 178.9 MPH
Suzuki - 176.8 MPH
Yamaha - 177.5 MPH

Standing 1/4:
Honda - 10.81 @ 140.21MPH
Kawasaki - 11.40 @ 141.51MPH
Suzuki - 10.84 @ 138.89MPH
Yamaha - 11.14 @ 139.85MPH

Top speed roll ons:
Honda - 32.63 seconds
Kawasaki - 37.07 seconds
Suzuki - 34.31 seconds
Yamaha - 30.96 seconds

1st gear MPH max
Honda - 85.9 MPH
Kawasaki - 97.2 MPH
Suzuki - 84.7 MPH
Yamaha - 96.9 MPH

So which one to buy? If you want a full-on race bike with lights then the ZX10R is the hooligan, no doubt about it. It's the most powerful, smallest, and has a real aggressive side to it. But it lacks refinement and we all agreed that it's a bit too much. Great fun, but you have to be concentrating 100% of the time when you are riding it because it ain't going to give you a break. If that's the sort of thing you want, then go for it.

The R1's engine has enough character to give you a buzz but has much more refinement than the ZX10R and is more relaxing to ride because of it, especially on the road. The Yamaha feels sophisticated and has an air of quality about it. It's still a hell of a tool but is actually reasonbly practical day to day, although the speedo is hidden away and the riding position is heavy on the wrists.

The GSXR is still a tremendous bike, and many will find it comfier simply because of its size. The engine may be a bit raw and it isn't the most powerful anymore but come on, how often do you actually need 150BHP? But having said that we all agreed we would take the R1 over the Suzuki.

But the Fireblade takes 154BHP and makes it feel accessible to any rider, which is why we rated it the best. The Honda's chassis is so good and balanced you actually feel like you could use its power rather than being intimidated by it. Put any rider on these four bikes on a track and I would put money they set their fastest lap times on the 'blade because it's user-friendly and unintimidating. Does this make it dull? Possibly, but I would rather have a bike that I feel like I am actually using rather than one that scares me.

Second opinions from the riders :

Niall Mackenzie - "Niall nominates...The Suzuki was the benchmark for the three new 1000s. Last year nothing could match its performance and handling, but this year it feels dated. It's still very capable compared to its new mates, but runs out of revs where the others don't and looks, although doesnt feel, bulky. The Fireblade is the most complete package of the four with an ultra smooth engine and precise handling - especially at high speed. The 'blade is pretty faultless in every department but requires maybe a few tweaks to make it more interesting. The ZX10R is how you'd imagine a claimed 170bhp/170kg motorcycle would feel. Light, sharp handling if a little nervous above 140 MPH combined with the peakiest engine of the four ensures alertness at all times. And finally the R1. The original R1 character has returned with a torquey but flexible engine. Handling and braking is superb, and general chassis balance is first class. Very rewarding to ride and the most pleasing design."

Daryll Young - "Diddy dishes up...For me the Fireblade stands head and shoulders above the rest, mainly due to the electronic steering damper. It's almost impossible to use much of the performance on offer when riding the R1 or ZX10R without the head shaking from side to side at the slightest hint of bump in the road, whereas the Fireblade will remain uncrossed and stable. Another downside with the ZX10R was the very stiff gearbox, which also hampered the standing 1/4 times, under hard acceleration it was a big fight to select gears. As sports bikes get lighter and faster manufacturerers are having to find new ways of allowing the rider to make the most of the power, and this year Honda has done it. The Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki are stunning machines - but if I were choosing a road bike today it would say Fireblade on the tail-piece."

Tim Dickson - "Tim tallies up...The GSXR1000 is still awesome and as fast as the others in a straight line, but the R1, ZX10R, and Blade felt like they could run rings around it. The ZX10R has an air of menace but we got on extreme well. It's tiny, nervous, picks up revs like a race bike and has staggering power. The R1 looks the most refined but it's got an awesome top-end rush. The front felt a bit vague in fast direction changes and the back started getting loose, but I think it goaded me into trying harder than on the others. The Honda instantly felt the most refined and usable. It has the incredible balance and poise of the CBR600RR but with a lot more power, although I felt the HESD damper was intrusive at very low speed. While the ZX10R really got my blood flowing, the Honda is the one I'd end up buying."

If I didn't type 150+ WPM I would have not done this :p

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks. Can't wait to pick mine up, it's on hold at Honda of Milpitas ....getting it next Friday (can't get up to the bay until then) ..... It's almost been a year since I've ridden .....MUST.....BE...PATIENT....AHASALJ;lkjdfs;lfkjF

·
Registered
128 Posts
Question...do the European mags buy bikes directly off the floor or do they get them from the mfr like the american mags. There is just simply no explanation why the 1000rr performs better and makes more HP across the pond :headscra: Either the CBR makes more or the others make less, it just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is exactly why you can't put to much weight on these magazine reviews. The 1000rr has won 3 shoot outs as far as I know, and has come in 2nd and 3rd in a few other's. The ZX10 has won a couple as well. I have not seen any where the R1 or Gixxer has won but I'm sure there is 1 or 2 that will pick the R1. Different bikes are going to put out different numbers as well I'm sure. I've seen multiple dyno's where the honda is either up by a couple of hp over the Yami and the Sazook, or behind the yami by 1 hp but they are very close. The kawi has always come out on top from between 1-2 hp up to 16 hp. I'm sure the difference lies somewhere around 4-8hp. The thing about the 1000rr is it's just so smooth it doesn't give the impression that there is that much power. The kawi and the Yami are not as linear and therefore you feel a big hit in the pants so people think they are more powerful. This review is exactly why we ride honda's and the squids are out picking up the ZX10 (Yes your a squid ice929 :D ).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh, and by the way thanks for typing that out immortal. I would like to see your 150 wpm, I can go 100 no prob but 150 yikes! I guess you can tell a guy's typing skills by how long his posts are, or he is extremely bored. I'm going to copy this and post it over at the R1 forum, I've been ruffling some feathers over there. I've been totally PC just discussing the different bikes and they just get so pissed off. They act like the ZX10 and R1 are just so dominant that the 1000rr should go race with the 600's. makes me laugh because they saw a dyno or 2 that put them ahead. anyways, it will be entertaining.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ok guys, i posted the review over at the R1 forum with this added in for laughs and to make a point. what do you think? again I'm not trying to start anything. It was a friendly discussion but they are so narrow minded I have to toy with them a bit.

Here is a review of the bikes from T.W.O. My point is not to show that the 1000rr is a better bike. My point is to show that all these bikes are so damn close in performance that your splitting hairs to pick a winner. Out of the 8-10 reviews I've seen, honda has been rated #1 atleast 3 times, kawi atleast 3 times, and I'm sure the R1 has multiple times as well but I can't recall reading those. I just find it halarious that you guys think the Yami and Kawi would just walk all over the honda and suzuki. And be sure to read the dyno stats and 1/4 mile times since that seems to be what you guys think makes the best bike. enjoy, and oh yeah don't forget to comment on how all the reviews except the ones the R1 has won are from bogus mags or dipshits or the other manufacturers bought the review.

·
Registered
202 Posts
well, just picked up the latest cycle world's liter bike review and uk's superbike magazine liter bike shootout. like most U.S. mags, the zx10 is first on the list, but in superbike mag, the r1 came in first and the cbr, they say its too heavy and not enough gadgets and stuff, whatever :shock: , but i guess honda should just put some lights on the motogp RCV211 machine and release it on the streets, then maybe the magazine's will give it some credit., just tired of all the reviews, i enjoy my cbr1k very much, and im sure all of us do also, so thats all that really matters. :thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read the same review in T.W.O. and found it to be very interesting. HP and top speed difference from the US mags was strange, makes you wonder. I think the T.W.O review was fair. The Zx-10 does make great hp but that is nothing if the front wheel is always in the clouds.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sub said:
yup, I agree but i love toying with people.
So we meet again heh... :bounce:

Some guys on the r1 forum as well as on others don´t quiet get it. Toy with them as much as you like :bday:
But they won´t get it anyways :banghead: , better stay :pimp:

And the more squids the less 1000rr I will see every day. Although it probably won´t apply here in Portugal. Honda always had a dominating role here, so I probably will see a lot of blades running :cruising:

·
Registered
148 Posts
All you have to tell these idiots, is "If your bike is so much better, let's go for a ride, and see if you lose me!" Or... "Let's go to the track, and see who can use the power better"... That is what it comes down to. If the bike has it, and you can't use it... what is it worth?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.