Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
So SP1 having lithium battery brings some issues for some that don't ride so often that need to keep battery being optimum.

What cable connection had you used for the trickle charger and do you also use this same connecting to charge the iPhone?

I have used optimate previously for cabling for plug and play.

Good to see what others are doing an where your placing it

Optimate USB O-108
USB charger/kit Amazon US

vs

Optimate O-127
trickle charge port SAE Amazon link

Issue with this one is it is just for trickle charging, don't know if I can connect USB connect SAE cable. I get simple assumption yes but USB needs an auto shut off so it doesn't drain it hence the O-108 above has that in it.

or there is this also
SAE/usb/battery monitor looks like a USB stick

Amazon link

Registered
I have no need for USB plugs so just use the SAE lead. Routed inside the frame so I can tuck it away out of sight, but with easy access when required. Some guys route theirs into the rear cowl.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Any special branded cable used? Thanks

I have techmate onto it in Au
What we get vs what US has differs for O-108 Kit cables. Even they didn't recognize till now. Au just gets 12v battery cable for 108 but US branded get AGM/Lithium cable for the same model O-108

hence confusion and checking what ppl use

Registered
I use the BT Jr too. Perfect little hook-up with the included pig-tail lead, which is suitable to connect a USB or other accessory. If you've got a local CycleGear store, they usually have them on the shelves for about the same price. I've also seen them on the shelves at WalMart. Just be sure to get the "switchable" one. The older version looks almost identical, but is for lead acid only.

Registered
I have the same charger as Liquid_IQ. My Shorai battery didn't really need it over the winter. I connected it once and it was full in less than 30 minutes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Optimate got back to me and I confirmed my suspicions.

what you get in Australia vs US is different. US market gets the updated version whilst Au is only 12v. Version.

ANYONE FROM AU BUY FROM AMAZON US WEBSITE FOR LATEST MODEL.

You will need the O-108
https://optimate1.com/usbo-108kit
https://optimate1.com/usbo-108

the kit you simply disconnect when not using USB and plug in SAE cable from charger

Registered
I am wondering if you are at crossed purposes for this charging application.

The USB device you have pictured and linked to is for charging phones etc, NOT the motorcycle Lithium battery. This USB device has nowhere near the capacity or capability to charge a 12 volt 4.5 AH battery.

Not wishing to be offensive or treat you like an idiot, I just don't want you to be inconvenienced if you expect it to keep your battery 'optimum' which was your concern in the original post. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I am wondering if you are at crossed purposes for this charging application.

The USB device you have pictured and linked to is for charging phones etc, NOT the motorcycle Lithium battery. This USB device has nowhere near the capacity or capability to charge a 12 volt 4.5 AH battery.

Not wishing to be offensive or treat you like an idiot, I just don't want you to be inconvenienced if you expect it to keep your battery 'optimum' which was your concern in the original post. (y)
you disconnect the 2 cables to show the SAE connect.
Hence I noted through SAE Connection as yes usb cable isn鈥檛 meant to charge power.. it鈥檚 simply a cable kit with 2 separate purposes and benefits of joining to be one when required.

Registered
That piece pictured above comes with the Battery Tender Junior also. Seems to be a universal design, which is nice.

Registered
you disconnect the 2 cables to show the SAE connect.
Hence I noted through SAE Connection as yes usb cable isn鈥檛 meant to charge power.. it鈥檚 simply a cable kit with 2 separate purposes and benefits of joining to be one when required.
Ah, right. Understand now. (y)

Registered
I bought a battery tender junior end of last year because on paper it is a great product but afte only about 5 charging sessios (AGM battey since my lithium battery does not need additional charging馃檭), it packed up and got a refund since it semms to have been discotinued over here.
A simpler product is Optimate 1 Duo (apparently they are supplied to ducati for bike with LFP batteries).
The last pic is the straight charging tail.
The two initially mentioned while having different functions, would most certainly draw current when the bike is switchef off which can be a serious issue with LFP's.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
If I鈥檓 reading right about the 2 cables being connected and the draw. It has auto off after 3hrs or if battery drops too much. Hence pay the extra then Chinese cheap items.

I had it on my Ducati Monster 1200s with lithium battery. Hardly rode it and I make sure all bikes have trickle charger available.

a d m i n
Question:
Is trickle charging good for a Lithium battery? An informed friend tells me it's not.
What has been your experience with these batt's? I suppose owners of '17 and '18 SP models from when they were released, should have a few years of experience they can share..?

I like the USB connector btw, prolly going to buy one for my iPhone.

Registered
No probs for me JD. Purchased my SP2 in March 2018. Has 2300 miles on it, but with infrequent riding. Remainder of the time it is hooked up to Optimate of the type I mentioned in post #4, and NEVER had a starting problem or battery problem. Remember that a trickle charger only cuts in when the voltage drops to a certain level.

Quite often our 'informed' friends, with respect, can be mis-informed, for those more than often rely on distorted hearsay experiences rather than their own. True that a lithium battery WILL suffer if left on the wrong (lead acid type) tender, but we would have heard more accounts on this and other forums if lithium batteries were failing while on the correct tender. I also have my 2020 hooked up to an Optimate lithium tender.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Yes to Optimate as I had it on the Ducati before now the Honda being the 3rd. This post started because the Ducati had a quick connect cable already oem so the charge cable would connect to this and this is what I was originally checking what guys on here were doing with the Honda.

For the newbies not knowing the trickle charger automates the charge so don't think of it like it charges non stop 24/7. It also saves the battery by fixing the cells within and can reset them when needed.

Just like any new technology it automates everything. If you get these type of chargers typically they come with all cabling from alligator clips to a battery to sae cable. This is the cable that you simply connect charger to bike to and hide for quick and easy access when needed.

The same cable then is what you can hook up accessories like SAE to USB charge cable.Optimate O-108
link to charger

The OptiMate Lithium 0.8A 4S charges LiFePO4 / LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) 4-series batteries with nominal voltage of 12.8V 鈥 13.2V! (in short use for 12v and Lithium batteries so you can swap between what you have)

Program steps that the charger goes through
STEP1: Low Volt Start (0.5V).
STEP2: Ultra LOW VOLT SAVE.
STEP3: LOW VOLT SAVE cell monitoring.
STEP4: TEST cell damage.
STEP5: Cell-balancing CHARGE.
STEP6: OPTIMIZE.
STEP7: TEST after CHARGE.
STEP8: OptiMate maintenance.

• Battery SAVE mode with BMS reset: Starts from 0.5V with continuous monitoring / testing of charge acceptance or bad / shorted cell condition. Unnecessary (and unsafe) charging of a bad battery is prevented.
  • safeT: Automatic charge rate adjustment to ambient temperature sensed at the charger. Reduced charging below freezing, no charging if temperature is below -20C / -4F (can damage lithium batteries).
  • Ampmatic: Microprocessor adjusts current to ideal LiFePO4 charge curve to match battery size / condition, for fastest and most complete charge.
  • Safe: No risk of overcharging. Totally safe for vehicle electronics. Sparks suppressed. Safe for long-term battery maintenance. Automatic shut-down if short-circuited or battery disconnected

Reactions: nigelrb
1 - 20 of 33 Posts